Researching billables?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Researching billables?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Are there any sites out there that last the billable requirements for firms? NALP almost never has it listed.

thesealocust

Re: Researching billables?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Most firms don't have published requirements, even those that do often expect you to exceed them. There was like one survey done a while ago that was a "better than nothing" data point, but it's getting harder and harder to summon via google.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm

The career section on Above the Law and Chambers Associate are useful for seeing what levels trigger bonuses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:27 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:The career section on Above the Law and Chambers Associate are useful for seeing what levels trigger bonuses.

I'll check out Chambers, thanks. I've looked through the ATL Career pages and those are definitely helpful, but unfortunately they only have a few firms on there. I'm really interested in what the billables, and more importantly, actual working hours are like in lesser ranked biglaw firms (outside the Vault 50, for example). I'm more interested in work environment than prestige, but it's hard to find information on it. Even anonymous surveys would be helpful.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:33 pm

2000+ for a bonus, with bonuses getting bigger at some firms if you bill more hours. <2000 hours, no bonus, probably laid off within a year unless you pick it up. That's really all you need to know about billables.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 pm

That's really not true everywhere. Plenty of markets legitimately have billable targets and averages well under 2K.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 am

thesealocust wrote:That's really not true everywhere. Plenty of markets legitimately have billable targets and averages well under 2K.

Most markets that pay 160k require 2k hours, but I'm sure there are exceptions. Also, check out the NY thread, you just got a shout-out from yours truly.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:21 am

Sup Kid wrote:
thesealocust wrote:That's really not true everywhere. Plenty of markets legitimately have billable targets and averages well under 2K.

Most markets that pay 160k require 2k hours, but I'm sure there are exceptions. Also, check out the NY thread, you just got a shout-out from yours truly.

You'd be surprised. Some big firms in DC peg it closer to 1950. There is probably a strong correlation between 160tude and 2000hour official or unofficial targets, though.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 am

thesealocust wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

You'd be surprised. Some big firms in DC peg it closer to 1950. There is probably a strong correlation between 160tude and 2000hour official or unofficial targets, though.

Oh, I considered 1950 to basically equal 2000. Hell, I think my NYC firm "officially" is 1950 for bonuses and such, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy under 2000.

Return to “Legal Employment”