No Journal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Journal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Disregard
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: No Journal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% at a Midwestern T25. Just found out today that I will not be on a journal. I honestly have no idea how, because it was my understanding that getting on one was pretty easy, and I put forth a good effort. I will likely still do moot court, but tryouts aren't until after OCI.

How much will this affect me at OCI? It has always been my understanding that getting on a journal isn't really a big deal, but it can hurt you if there isn't one on your resume. A lot of jobs say "journal preferred" and things like that. Am I screwed?

(note: If you know who I am, and I suspect some of you will figure it out, please just keep it to yourself.)
Did you get an email about it or did all of the other journals just hear already and you didn't hear anything? I haven't heard anything except that one came out last night. 99% sure I know who you are... you can probably guess who I am just based on the usage rate of the rest of our class :lol:

Edit: well there's no way in hell I wrote onto LR and everyone else has heard, so guess that confirms loli'mfucked. Someone answer this question so I know whether to /self or not, since me and OP are twins.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did you get an email about it or did all of the other journals just hear already and you didn't hear anything? I haven't heard anything except that one came out last night. 99% sure I know who you are... you can probably guess who I am just based on the usage rate of the rest of our class :lol:
I just called the publications office and they said "All invites should have been sent." I'm guessing I know who you are and what school you're from. I still haven't gotten denied, but all three journals have supposedly made decisions. If that's not the case, I will be penning a NASTY email to the administration for the horrible mismanagement of this entire process (rolling out half the decisions and then letting everyone else languish in the dark??? WTF?)

I guess there is a slim, slim, sliiiiiiiim chance I got LR (which hasn't been announced, to the best of my knowledge), but can anybody give me some honest advice as to what I should do without journal and how I can possibly make up for it in an interview? How screwed am I?

edit: The weird thing is that I know of three other people who were outside top 10%, inside top 25%, who have not heard. And based on who I think you are, wouldn't it be safe to say that you are in this boat as well? I figured you graded on, even despite your rough second semester.
Yeah, I'm just inside top 20% too. lulz I thought I was going to, up until the grades started rolling in and I got my shit medianpwned this semester. I won't weigh in with my opinion on what I'd think about the state of things if I managed to write on (since it'd make me look like a dick), but seriously, what I wrote? It. Was. Bad. I didn't write on. But I thought like 80% of the class was on one of the journals journal so now I'm like HTF did I miss :|

And yeah, I know this is TLS and every single person here is either top 10% at UVA or on Columbia's law review, but there have to be some rising 3Ls/recent grads out there somewhere who can talk about this.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Assuming UIUC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Not having a journal on your resume can hurt you? I'm a bit skeptic of that. I certainly don't think you are doomed if you don't have it come OCI. Wouldn't grades be more important/looked at first then whatever journal you want/get? I guess it depends if one writes on or not?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not having a journal on your resume can hurt you? I'm a bit skeptic of that. I certainly don't think you are doomed if you don't have it come OCI. Wouldn't grades be more important/looked at first then whatever journal you want/get? I guess it depends if one writes on or not?
Of course it is going to hurt you a little. Anything that is beneficial and a significant number of other students have that you don't is going to hurt. It's the same logic that applies to grades. How much it hurts I really don't know, but I'm sure it does at least a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:30 am

traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not having a journal on your resume can hurt you? I'm a bit skeptic of that. I certainly don't think you are doomed if you don't have it come OCI. Wouldn't grades be more important/looked at first then whatever journal you want/get? I guess it depends if one writes on or not?
Of course it is going to hurt you a little. Anything that is beneficial and a significant number of other students have that you don't is going to hurt. It's the same logic that applies to grades. How much it hurts I really don't know, but I'm sure it does at least a bit.
Sure, its beneficial, I'm not saying that it isn't. How will a significant number of other students have it on their resume when it is already competitive/limited to those who can join? Depends on how many are selected, and what type of journal it is - though some may argue a journal is a journal. Also, when OP said "thought getting on was pretty easy" got me confused. Nothing in law school is "pretty easy".

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Assuming UIUC?
No, we don't find out until late July

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 am

Interesting haha, we don't until July 15.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”