NYC v. Miami BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC v. Miami BigLaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:14 pm

GULC Median...working for federal judge in NYC right now...but went to HS/grew up in Miami.

Can I assume its easier to get into the miami office as you compete with UMiami law etc or is NYC easier because more spots?

My intuition says Miami but i have heard different theories...

Any info much appreciated!

flexityflex86

Re: NYC v. Miami BigLaw

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GULC Median...working for federal judge in NYC right now...but went to HS/grew up in Miami.

Can I assume its easier to get into the miami office as you compete with UMiami law etc or is NYC easier because more spots?

My intuition says Miami but i have heard different theories...

Any info much appreciated!

nyc is still prob easier. there aren't that many big law jobs in miami, and umiami kids are absolutely not getting them. uva, duke and vanderbilt are stealing them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm

When I check these firms many of them are UMiami Cum Laude associates....

Anyone other opinions!??

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I check these firms many of them are UMiami Cum Laude associates....

Anyone other opinions!??

They probably graduated before the economy crashed. Things were very different them. Different rules apply now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Ok so people think Miami is harder!?

Wouldnt I rather compete with Duke or vanderbilt than Columbia/upenn???

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok so people think Miami is harder!?

Bad reasoning. The NYC job market is large enough to be able to place almost the entire T30 in some varying degree (meaning there are jobs for any school, ranking from Yale to whatever is 30, though obviously the opportunity to get those jobs lower as you attend a lower ranked NY-centric school). Miami would be lucky if it can take the few stragglers from Duke, Vanderbilt, UM, and other Florida schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm

booboo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ok so people think Miami is harder!?

Bad reasoning. The NYC job market is large enough to be able to place almost the entire T30 in some varying degree (meaning there are jobs for any school, ranking from Yale to whatever is 30, though obviously the opportunity to get those jobs lower as you attend a lower ranked NY-centric school). Miami would be lucky if it can take the few stragglers from Duke, Vanderbilt, UM, and other Florida schools.

Fair enough. I guess its really all about the number of slots available at this point!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:44 pm

This is what my career counselor says:

So now i am TOTALLY CONFUSED

"GPA-wise, it seems like many of the FL firms hire lower, however many of them (like Baker Hostetler’s FL office) haven’t hired a GULC student in several years. I don’t think you should write off FL altogether. Apply to firms there as well as NY and other surrounding area. I’d put some FL firms in your top 20, but I wouldn’t have my entire bid list packed with them. Make sense?"

Note when he says FL firm he means the FL office of the biglaw firm

THOUGHTS????!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm

A lot of Florida firms that do OCI at UF, FSU , and Mimai don't participate in Gtown OCI. I would mail those firms and see if you can interview with them before school starts. In your letter, say you will be in Miami from Jul X to Aug X.

Return to “Legal Employment”