HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Target market: NYC.

Currently thinking: Lower end of V50.

Full disclosure: AA male.

What should I do? Do I even have much of a chance?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:31 pm

APNS?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Target market: NYC.

Currently thinking: Lower end of V50.

Full disclosure: AA male.

What should I do? Do I even have much of a chance?


Seriously? You go to Harvard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Target market: NYC.

Currently thinking: Lower end of V50.

Full disclosure: AA male.

What should I do? Do I even have much of a chance?


Seriously? You go to Harvard.


He's also damn near the bottom of his class. This isn't 2008. This is a valid question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Indeed. This is a very relevant question. I know more than a few people who were shut out of EIP both in 2009 and 2010. Straight Ps is pretty well below median.

Any hooks other than URM? Strong regional ties? You should obviously bid broadly, and stay away from any firm known to be even the slightest bit grades-conscious. Target firms with big SA classes if at all possible. And I'm thinking a resume-spam of regional firms who don't come to EIP will be essential.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:He's also damn near the bottom of his class. This isn't 2008. This is a valid question.


If it's valid, then Harvard is vastly overrated. Just how much of the class gets an H or higher at Harvard-40 percent? If it's not something that high I don't see how it could be near bottom. Don't you all have mandatory LP's? That would mean that in every class people are getting them, so that makes it extremely unlikely that he's near bottom. A Stanford student on here said that striaght P's was still good for biglaw of some type--and that probably really is bottom at Stanford since they don't have mandatory LP's like you all do. If being at SLS is that different than being at HLS then it needs to drop out of this HYS tier that TLS has coined. I seriously doubt it is.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:He's also damn near the bottom of his class. This isn't 2008. This is a valid question.


If it's valid, then Harvard is vastly overrated. Just how much of the class gets an H or higher at Harvard-40 percent? If it's not something that high I don't see how it could be near bottom. Don't you all have mandatory LP's? That would mean that in every class people are getting them, so that makes it extremely unlikely that he's near bottom. A Stanford student on here said that striaght P's was still good for biglaw of some type--and that probably really is bottom at Stanford since they don't have mandatory LP's like you all do. If being at SLS is that different than being at HLS then it needs to drop out of this HYS tier that TLS has coined. I seriously doubt it is.


IIRC the LPs are now discretionary. Also Harvard has a much larger class than Stanford. Which means the brand name is diluted a little. Harvard has three times as many students.

Someone who isn't in the top 40% once is usually pretty far below median. It worse than never getting an A- at other schools.

People at Harvard strike out. OP isn't totally fucked, but coming into a thread to denounce it as useless based on your ignorance is bad form.

I don't know what the OP's prospects are, but you clearly don't either. So lets let people who know what hte fuck they are talking about answer the question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Median is about 3 H's, and the distribution of H's is certainly not normal. For every rockstar who racks up tons of H's (and there are quite a few of them), that means fewer H's to go around for everyone else. Also, depending on the professor, LP's are more or less discretionary. Straight P's might not be the bottom of the class, but I would be shocked if it's above the 30% percentile. And it may place OP quite a bit lower than that.

All things considered, HLS certainly deserves the reputation it has. For the vast majority of students, placement in BIGLAW is not a huge problem. But in this economic climate, there are still going to be students at HLS (and SLS, for that matter) who strike out. And the ones who do are going to be the ones who fall far below median.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
People at Harvard strike out. OP isn't totally fucked, but coming into a thread to denounce it as useless based on your ignorance is bad form.

I don't know what the OP's prospects are, but you clearly don't either. So lets let people who know what hte fuck they are talking about answer the question.


So, I'm NOT totally fucked? Does anyone have an idea of how fucked I actually am?

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

.

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby 20121109 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:APNS?


You're so funny!

Be sure to send me your resume after you strike out. I'm pretty sure I can pull some strings and get my firm to hire you as my personal intern next summer.


APNS, you may have awesome sauce grades but please remember to be cool :)

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

.

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:37 pm

.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:APNS?


You're so funny!

Be sure to send me your resume after you strike out. I'm pretty sure I can pull some strings and get my firm to hire you as my personal intern next summer.


As long as I get to be the pitcher I'm in.

On a similar note, I'll get you a job doing real work when you get laid off from WachTTTel.

ETA: lawl, did I write Wachtell? I meant CravaTTTh.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 pm

CravaTTTh called back a 2.8 from NW. That's fucking awful. It's a TTT in decline.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:CravaTTTh called back a 2.8 from NW. That's fucking awful. It's a TTT in decline.


Never mind the 2.8, the mere fact that they would even recruit at the festering shithole that is NW displays the level of depravity to which Cravath has stooped. How embarrassing.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:30 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:CravaTTTh called back a 2.8 from NW. That's fucking awful. It's a TTT in decline.


Never mind the 2.8, the mere fact that they would even recruit at the festering shithole that is NW displays the level of depravity to which Cravath has stooped. How embarrassing.


Totally agreed. Covington isn't coming, that firm must be on the up and up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 am

I knew people with straight Ps who got biglaw in major markets last year. Concentrate your bids on the lower half of the Vault rankings and with firms that have big ass summer classes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:47 am

From what I've heard (talking to OCS, other 1Ls, etc.) it seems like straight P's means you should bid conservatively but you definitely should still get something decent if you're targeting NYC.

And I also have heard that the distribution is definitely not normal based on some smaller sample sizes of the overall HLS grades. I was even told that 1-2 H's is actually still medianish but I'm not quite sure that is accurate... Wish it was easier to get a good picture of HLS grade distribution.

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby adameus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard (talking to OCS, other 1Ls, etc.) it seems like straight P's means you should bid conservatively but you definitely should still get something decent if you're targeting NYC.

And I also have heard that the distribution is definitely not normal based on some smaller sample sizes of the overall HLS grades. I was even told that 1-2 H's is actually still medianish but I'm not quite sure that is accurate... Wish it was easier to get a good picture of HLS grade distribution.


So I take it you are the guy who started the poll trying to figure out the median?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard (talking to OCS, other 1Ls, etc.) it seems like straight P's means you should bid conservatively but you definitely should still get something decent if you're targeting NYC.

And I also have heard that the distribution is definitely not normal based on some smaller sample sizes of the overall HLS grades. I was even told that 1-2 H's is actually still medianish but I'm not quite sure that is accurate... Wish it was easier to get a good picture of HLS grade distribution.



Really? In talking to OCS, I was told 2-3 Hs and 7-8 Ps (no LPs) was roughly median after 1L. 1 H is undoubtedly too low. I'm honestly more inclined to believe that 3Hs and 7Ps is median.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS. Straight Ps. URM. EIP 2011.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:15 am

adameus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard (talking to OCS, other 1Ls, etc.) it seems like straight P's means you should bid conservatively but you definitely should still get something decent if you're targeting NYC.

And I also have heard that the distribution is definitely not normal based on some smaller sample sizes of the overall HLS grades. I was even told that 1-2 H's is actually still medianish but I'm not quite sure that is accurate... Wish it was easier to get a good picture of HLS grade distribution.


So I take it you are the guy who started the poll trying to figure out the median?


I'm actually not haha, but it was funny how the poll was started right after this post. Anyways yeah to the comment above, I think OCS was being overly positive when stating that 1-2H's is medianish.. 2-3H sounds closer to reality.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.