Patterson Belknap and Tax-Exempt Organizations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Patterson Belknap and Tax-Exempt Organizations

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am

Okay, quick question. Patterson Belknap is mostly known as a NYC lit "boutique" (not sure you can be a boutique when you have that many lawyers, but whatever). Basically the little brother of Boies Schiller. But they also have this small, really cool practice on transactional work and advising specifically for tax-exempt organizations that I have never seen anywhere else. (First off, does this specialty exist anywhere else?) I'm not at all interested in litigation, but I find their TEO practice fascinating and would love to get involved. Is it advisable to bid on PB for 2L summer and tell them at the interview I'm mainly interested in their TEO practice, or would the fact that the vast majority of the firm is devoted to litigation make bidding on them without an interest in litigation a little bit ridiculous?

Anonymous User

Re: Patterson Belknap and Tax-Exempt Organizations

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 pm

the EO group at PBWT is tiny and spots in the group are not available each year. I would call recruiting, stress your interest in the EO group, and see if you can learn more about it before wasting a bid if you are truly not interested in litigation at all. On average, 9 out of 10 summers go to the general litigation group and one might get an offer from one of the smaller transactional groups

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Several firms have practices focused on the nonprofit sector, including CWT, R&G. Check those out.

benewagain

Postby benewagain » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Update from 2012, I spoke to several people at Patterson who said it's basically impossible to get into EO, so awesome as it sounds, I wouldn't suggest going there for that reason. One of the people I spoke to is directly involved with hiring, so she definitely knows what's up and said she was telling me this because people who have gone to PBWT exclusively for EO have often been disappointed. That said, it still seems like an incredible place to work overall.

Return to “Legal Employment”