How did everyone do with SEMJF bids?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Aberzombie1892

Re: How did everyone do with SEMJF bids?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:26 pm

So they could only submit their resume without GPA? If they could submit their class rank, then that really wouldn't matter. However, if they couldn't submit their rank or GPA, they would be at a massive disadvantage as compared to any other school.

Most employers would probably feel as though they could go visit UGA and interview from preselects if they couldn't tell where students landed in the class at the fair.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:So they could only submit their resume without GPA? If they could submit their class rank, then that really wouldn't matter. However, if they couldn't submit their rank or GPA, they would be at a massive disadvantage as compared to any other school.

Most employers would probably feel as though they could go visit UGA and interview from preselects if they couldn't tell where students landed in the class at the fair.

I think it was the latter, but I'm not 100% sure. I have heard outside of TLS though how UGA people got barely anything, if at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:44 pm

f0bolous wrote:i think also that there's a bias in some of these fairs against local schools, since the employers know they'll probably get another chance at interviewing these people (i recall one employer that specifically stated that emory/uga/gsu students were barred from bidding).

FWIW:

I applied to different major diversity fair. My school is in the host city of the fair. I recently attended a firm reception and told the firm I applied to them at the fair. The firm asked me to apply at OCI as well and told me they would decide which of the two locations to do the screening interview at.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 pm

if anyone wants to withdraw from the firm I'm the second alternate for, ill buy you dinner Friday.

in all seriousness, I'm bummed about the selection process only using first semester grades to determine interviews, but there is no reasonable alternative really. I killed second semester and now on lr, but bc my first semester grades were just mediocre, I only got a few interviews.

however, I'm pretty sure ill know rad law when I see him bc he will be the radest guy at semjf. I'm 95% positive he will look like his tar.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:i think also that there's a bias in some of these fairs against local schools, since the employers know they'll probably get another chance at interviewing these people (i recall one employer that specifically stated that emory/uga/gsu students were barred from bidding).

FWIW:

I applied to different major diversity fair. My school is in the host city of the fair. I recently attended a firm reception and told the firm I applied to them at the fair. The firm asked me to apply at OCI as well and told me they would decide which of the two locations to do the screening interview at.

there's also another major diversity fair near my school (kinda). unfortunately, it takes place after OCI so i won't be able to test out this theory of non-local school bias. however, for semjf, at least, there are some firms that don't consider local schools (as i mentioned before).

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 pm

i wonder what's the total attendance?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:27 pm

I dunno dude I think about half my firms will be at OCI and the other half won't.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 pm

moandersen wrote:
however, I'm pretty sure ill know rad law when I see him bc he will be the radest guy at semjf. I'm 95% positive he will look like his tar.

I'll probably be the dude with a lip of skoal in between interviews trying to kill time. I'm staying pretty far away from this thing.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 pm

rad law wrote:I dunno dude I think about half my firms will be at OCI and the other half won't.

then i'm not sure why some (or at least that firm) won't consider the locals...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 pm

f0bolous wrote:
rad law wrote:I dunno dude I think about half my firms will be at OCI and the other half won't.

then i'm not sure why some (or at least that firm) won't consider the locals...

They want minorities from my school really bad? They want to free up OCI slots for other people? Beats me man.

Edit: not complaining. Freed up several OCI bids and I probably got some firms I wouldn't have gotten at OCI due to high demand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:26 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Yeah but if the employer had hired from UGA before, the employer would know about where the student would be. Doesn't UGA's career services send out a chart during OCI with GPA distributions? I know they don't do it for the fair, but if the employer has ever OCI'd at UGA - the employer would know where the student landed rank wise.

But that's during OCI - UGA doesn't give out grades first semester, which is infuriating. What they do is make you fill out this first semester grade report that tells the firm your performance in each class (which isn't a letter grade, only a raw score), plus the general area of where that score falls in the class. A few recruiters have told me that it's a nuisance to figure it out, and it probably hurts UGA 1Ls when they're applying for 1L summer jobs and job fairs like PLIP and SEMJF, since the deadlines for these job fairs are before spring grades come out.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 am

rad law wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I'll probably be the dude with a lip of skoal in between interviews trying to kill time. I'm staying pretty far away from this thing.

hah nice. I have an hour break that I need to kill on friday, and am pretty sure I wont be spending it in the student holding area. Unfortunately it is supposed to be crazy hot, so I dont want to venture outside and sweat my balls off. Maybe the hotel will have a bar open?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 am

moandersen wrote:
rad law wrote:
moandersen wrote:

hah nice. I have an hour break that I need to kill on friday, and am pretty sure I wont be spending it in the student holding area. Unfortunately it is supposed to be crazy hot, so I dont want to venture outside and sweat my balls off. Maybe the hotel will have a bar open?

Maybe dude. I'll be on some antibiotics though so I can't drink, which sucks.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:17 pm

moandersen wrote:
rad law wrote:
moandersen wrote:

also have a break friday afternoon, interested in killing beers. maybe braves game too.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Decided to go with snus to avoid dip in my teeth during interviews.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 pm

rad law wrote:Decided to go with snus to avoid dip in my teeth during interviews.

probably a good call. currently killing time in my hotel room before registering and my first interview. Trying to time it such that Im at the Hyatt as little as possible.

I checked about the bar in the Hyatt - doesnt open till 5 according to the website. :?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm

This snus is not working. Will bring dip an a toothbrush tomorrow.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:47 pm

This.is.awkard.

Rad, bring me a can and we'll hog and make fun of people together.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:54 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:This.is.awkard.

Rad, bring me a can and we'll hog and make fun of people together.

Sounds good bro. I'll bring Skoal straight tomorrow unless you prefer some other type.

PM sent

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 pm

anyone wanna hang out at the student lounge area tomorrow?

i didn't realize i'd be the only (or pretty much the only) person from my school. i paced around aimlessly for hours today between interviews. pathetic. just pathetic.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Yeah bro I PMd you

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:21 am

TLS party? I may be down.

It probably wasnt the best idea to drink and smoke a lot tonight. Tomorrow I interview with my #1 firm. thank god its not until early afternoon.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:43 am

Snarky comment: why were there so many white girls at a minority job fair?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Snarky comment: why were there so many white girls at a minority job fair?

Women are minorities in the legal profession dood

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:36 am

Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”