How did everyone do with SEMJF bids?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How did everyone do with SEMJF bids?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 am

Believe me the Bay area fair is an exception. Most of the diversity fairs don't have numbers even close to that. The other fairs don't offer that type of information. There are a few people they want to interview and the rest of the schedule is the firm just filling interview slots. They have no reason not to. At the end of the day, you're not getting an offer from a diversity fair that you wouldn't get from OCI that's been my experience guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got all 20 interviews. Emory. URM (not AA). Top 40%. They are mostly all V100. Super happy.

congrats, but there must be something you aren't sharing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got all 20 interviews. Emory. URM (not AA). Top 40%. They are mostly all V100. Super happy.

Seriously. I'm a top 2% at a comparable school in GA, and I got 5 out of 10 (didn't use the rest of my bids, because PLIP is the day before, and I wanted to be alive come Sunday).

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Believe me the Bay area fair is an exception. Most of the diversity fairs don't have numbers even close to that. The other fairs don't offer that type of information. There are a few people they want to interview and the rest of the schedule is the firm just filling interview slots. They have no reason not to. At the end of the day, you're not getting an offer from a diversity fair that you wouldn't get from OCI that's been my experience guys.

While I believe you may be right that that a lot of firms are filling slots, what data do you to have to back up your assertion, besides anecdotal you have none because you said your self that other fairs don't offer the stats. Also I would wager the CCBA fair places more people than the bay area because 1) way more firms/employers 2) Much bigger class sizes 3) Restricted to top 30 schools

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah i'm scared firms are only conducting these interviews to say they participate in minority job fairs. What do you guys think?

I mean, even if they are, what the fuck are you gonna do, not go? The more looks you can get from firms, the better. Make a weekend out of it; get drunk on Saturday night.

Yeah. Excellent point

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Oban wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Believe me the Bay area fair is an exception. Most of the diversity fairs don't have numbers even close to that. The other fairs don't offer that type of information. There are a few people they want to interview and the rest of the schedule is the firm just filling interview slots. They have no reason not to. At the end of the day, you're not getting an offer from a diversity fair that you wouldn't get from OCI that's been my experience guys.

While I believe you may be right that that a lot of firms are filling slots, what data do you to have to back up your assertion, besides anecdotal you have none because you said your self that other fairs don't offer the stats. Also I would wager the CCBA fair places more people than the bay area because 1) way more firms/employers 2) Much bigger class sizes 3) Restricted to top 30 schools

Well no there are data that will back that up. Either way its a big fair and if it was successful I don't see and reason as to why they don't publish stats. Just like the one poster said, you should do them anyway. Just saying, as someone who has been through the fair, very well connected in NBLSA, and talked to many other minorities, you can get interviews at these places but if they would never hire someone like you at OCI they probably won't do it there. It's more likely they use the fairs to get a look at some good candidates that they would otherwise never see since they don't recruit at the school not to steal all of the marginal and adequate students that have bid on them. Take it for what you want. It shouldn't affect how you approach the fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Any others with results?

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeah the best way to approach a far is as an extension of your OCI. For example, if you go a lower ranked school and not many firms come, use the fairs as a chance to get more bids.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:27 pm

I generally hate the argument I'm about to make, but I seriously think you're just venting about your lack of personal success and making a sweeping and unfair generalization about diversity fairs. My personal experience at them has been very good. I was a barely top 50% student at a t30 during my 1L summer, went to several diversity fairs,and got multiple offers at each one. My success is certainly not the norm, but to make the generalizations you have made in what seems to be an attempt to discourage people from going to these diversity fairs is just plain ignorant and irresponsible.

Any program where you have the opportunity to interview with legal employers is something you should take advantage of as a law student. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Even if you don't get a job out of it, the experience is incredibly valuable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 am

I got 4 callbacks and 2 offers. 1 in NYC and 1 in Boston so no, i'm not bitter. I had the grades at a T20. I'm just saying the people I talked to with mediocre grades did not experience a bunch of firms offering them. So good for you, just saying that these diversity fairs aren't necessarily going to lead to a bunch of offers. Again, everyone should do them. Its a good idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:00 pm

What happens if we accept more than 10 preselects? Symplicity does not prevent you from doing so

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What happens if we accept more than 10 preselects? Symplicity does not prevent you from doing so

I did the same thing. you have to contact your career services office and get them to undo it. If you don't, it will mess up your acceptances and you run the risk of forfeiting all of them (i was told this by CS so take that for what its worth).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously. I'm a top 2% at a comparable school in GA, and I got 5 out of 10 (didn't use the rest of my bids, because PLIP is the day before, and I wanted to be alive come Sunday).

Comparable school in GA? Aight sure. Maybe its b/c i got a COA internship this summer through connections?

electricfeel

Postby electricfeel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

maybe they are not as comparable as you think

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Bumping this thread for interview schedules. If you got any more interviews from an alternates list, the schedule will show it.

I am the T17 from the previous page and I picked up one more, bringing the total to eight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 am

Bump!

For those of you flying, how is everyone getting to Marietta from the airport? I'm looking for something cheap.

Thanks guys!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump!

For those of you flying, how is everyone getting to Marietta from the airport? I'm looking for something cheap.

Thanks guys!

You have to request your hotel to pick you up if your staying at the hyatt.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Staying with frat bro for the purpose of partying.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:34 pm

rad law wrote:Staying with frat bro for the purpose of partying.

rad how did you do at semjf? I hear they love vandy/emory there.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:36 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
rad law wrote:Staying with frat bro for the purpose of partying.

rad how did you do at semjf? I hear they love vandy/emory there.

I did well, let's just say that. Judging from my first semester grades, yes they do love us, I guess. I sent you a PM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:32 am

electricfeel wrote:maybe they are not as comparable as you think

I think it's more because UGA's first semester grading method really hurts UGA students - it's borderline impossible for an employer to figure out how a student did.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I think it's more because UGA's first semester grading method really hurts UGA students - it's borderline impossible for an employer to figure out how a student did.

Yeah but if the employer had hired from UGA before, the employer would know about where the student would be. Doesn't UGA's career services send out a chart during OCI with GPA distributions? I know they don't do it for the fair, but if the employer has ever OCI'd at UGA - the employer would know where the student landed rank wise.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:35 am

i think also that there's a bias in some of these fairs against local schools, since the employers know they'll probably get another chance at interviewing these people (i recall one employer that specifically stated that emory/uga/gsu students were barred from bidding).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:25 pm

f0bolous wrote:i think also that there's a bias in some of these fairs against local schools, since the employers know they'll probably get another chance at interviewing these people (i recall one employer that specifically stated that emory/uga/gsu students were barred from bidding).

Haha yeah I definitely bid on that one.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah but if the employer had hired from UGA before, the employer would know about where the student would be. Doesn't UGA's career services send out a chart during OCI with GPA distributions? I know they don't do it for the fair, but if the employer has ever OCI'd at UGA - the employer would know where the student landed rank wise.

A buddy of mine at UGA said students weren't allowed to submit the raw scores to SEMJF.

Return to “Legal Employment”