How did everyone do with SEMJF bids? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jeeptiger09

Bronze

How did everyone do with SEMJF bids?

Post by jeeptiger09 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:17 am

Just wondering.

Anonymous User

Re: How did everyone do with SEMJF bids?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 am

I got preselected by every firm I bid. Now I just need to narrow my interviews down. I'm top 1/3 at MVP, btw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got preselected by every firm I bid. Now I just need to narrow my interviews down. I'm top 1/3 at MVP, btw.
:lol: You mean V? That's the only one of MVP registered with SEMJF!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 am

I did as expected. I got 2 preselects and 3 alts. really happy with the 2 firms I ended up with though.

T40 and just outside top 1/3. Unfortunately I killed it second semester and am now inside top 25% but grades came in after bids were due. oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got preselected by every firm I bid. Now I just need to narrow my interviews down. I'm top 1/3 at MVP, btw.
Type of URM?

I am NA, top third got 15 preselects.

Oh I go to D or V.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 am

7 preselects. Bottom 40% but now at top 40% (and likely 1/3 after this summer seminar posts) at a T20 (T17)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Type of URM?

I am NA, top third got 15 preselects.

Oh I go to D or V.
I'm AA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:7 preselects. Bottom 40% but now at top 40% (and likely 1/3 after this summer seminar posts) at a T20 (T17)
You were bottom 40 when you applied and still got 7 preselects? What's the URM here?

I ask because I'm approaching OCI below median and am wondering if I should regard this optimistically for my own position or if the difference between having 1 and having 2 semesters would distinguish your results significantly.

I'm also attending two diversity fairs this year, so perhaps I'll have better luck there. At a T20 (T20).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:7 preselects. Bottom 40% but now at top 40% (and likely 1/3 after this summer seminar posts) at a T20 (T17)
You were bottom 40 when you applied and still got 7 preselects? What's the URM here?

I ask because I'm approaching OCI below median and am wondering if I should regard this optimistically for my own position or if the difference between having 1 and having 2 semesters would distinguish your results significantly.

I'm also attending two diversity fairs this year, so perhaps I'll have better luck there. At a T20 (T20).
I'm a M, but not URM
I have substantial work experience and ties to the secondary market that I bid on (not sure if that's a huge factor). My school is also underrepresented at firms in this city (again, not sure how much this even plays in their decision making). At other fairs, though, like Dupont, I didn't fare too well and only got two preselects.

as for OCI at your school, i think you'd have to look at your own school's data for URM applicants to see how they fared (maybe talk with people at BLSA/CHLSA/etc to see what cutoffs were like for them if CSO's data doesn't apply)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unbeknownst

New

Post by unbeknownst » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 am

I am also bottom 40% and got 7 preselects, 1 alternate. Counting my lucky stars. Anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this type of thing?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a M, but not URM
I have substantial work experience and ties to the secondary market that I bid on (not sure if that's a huge factor). My school is also underrepresented at firms in this city (again, not sure how much this even plays in their decision making). At other fairs, though, like Dupont, I didn't fare too well and only got two preselects.

as for OCI at your school, i think you'd have to look at your own school's data for URM applicants to see how they fared (maybe talk with people at BLSA/CHLSA/etc to see what cutoffs were like for them if CSO's data doesn't apply)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 am

I got three interviews. AA male. t25 school, slightly below median

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 pm

unbeknownst wrote:I am also bottom 40% and got 7 preselects, 1 alternate. Counting my lucky stars. Anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this type of thing?

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a M, but not URM

i guess just like any other interview. did your grades improve since submitting the app?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Five preselects, but I only used 10 out of the twenty bids (because I'm also going to PLIP and getting back late the night before).

I'm also in the top 10 at a T1, a minority, but not a URM.

Did get the one interview I really, really wanted though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Five preselects, but I only used 10 out of the twenty bids (because I'm also going to PLIP and getting back late the night before).

What's constitutes a minority that is not an URM? thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Five preselects, but I only used 10 out of the twenty bids (because I'm also going to PLIP and getting back late the night before).

What's constitutes a minority that is not an URM? thanks
Asian. You can argue that it is a URM if you feel like it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:32 pm

19/20 preselected (the one rejection puzzles me)
URM, top 1/4, T10

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 pm

T17, slightly above median when I submitted, 7 interviews, 3 alternates. Will be able to update with probably top 30%ish grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Got all 20 interviews. Emory. URM (not AA). Top 40%. They are mostly all V100. Super happy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Sounds like minority job fairs are the way to go? Even if grades aren't necessarily the highest huh? This is exciting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like minority job fairs are the way to go? Even if grades aren't necessarily the highest huh? This is exciting.
not really sure if firms treat these interviews like regular ones, though. i was looking at a couple of the firms i got a preselect for, and based on nalp, the summer associate class size is only 2. considering that these firms have yet to do regular OCIs at whichever schools they do OCIs at, and they're interviewing 22 people at this job fair alone, it's not looking too promising. then again, nalp data is for this past year, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Yeah i'm scared firms are only conducting these interviews to say they participate in minority job fairs. What do you guys think?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:16 am

Some are for sure, take the data from last years Bay Area fair

about 500 people bid
about 250 got at least 1 interview
about 120 or so got call backs
and 49 people got offers(or 49 offers were given out)

That means 10 percent of applicants got a job. Thus a lot of people were interviewing either to find the very best URMs, a noble goal or it was for show.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 am

Any stats on SEMJF or CCBA (chicago) minority job fairs?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah i'm scared firms are only conducting these interviews to say they participate in minority job fairs. What do you guys think?
I mean, even if they are, what the fuck are you gonna do, not go? The more looks you can get from firms, the better. Make a weekend out of it; get drunk on Saturday night.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 am

Oban wrote:Some are for sure, take the data from last years Bay Area fair

about 500 people bid
about 250 got at least 1 interview
about 120 or so got call backs
and 49 people got offers(or 49 offers were given out)

That means 10 percent of applicants got a job. Thus a lot of people were interviewing either to find the very best URMs, a noble goal or it was for show.
hmm...actually, for those who got interviews, 50% callback rate and 20% offer rate isn't too shabby for a screening interview. of course, this is assuming an equal distribution.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”