Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Just what the title says. I've often read that what firms ask for in OCI on Symplicity is not accurate in what they actually take. Is it usually lower or higher? Also, some firms say "required" in front of their percentages and others just "prefer" or have no qualifier. Obviously firms that say "required top 5%" are out, but should any weight be given to what they ask for generally, or should bids just be placed on any firm that looks appealing?

Sadly, my school doesn't break down what firms actually hire for us.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
thesealocust wrote:A wise and insightful person once wrote:

PSA - when a firm lists its GPA preference and requirements, you should do the following: Ignore them entirely and mother fucking ask career services.

Firms lie through their god damned teeth on those things, and I want to keep harping on it, because it is VERY IMPORTANT TO YOUR CAREER PROSPECTS. The firms are lying or naive or outsourcing their symplicity profiles to India or who knows what, but if you ask a 3 year old with a box of crayons to draw you the cut off for a firm you'll get a better answer than the firm's published cutoff on your OCI software.

Firms aren't consistently high, or consistently low - they're just consistently full of shit. A firm that says "top third required" might hire to median, it might hire from the top 3% without exception, and there's even a remote chance it will hire from the top third. But those pieces of data simply cannot be relied upon at all. Not even in a cursory way. Not for comparison's sake, not when nothing else will do. You need to completely disregard them, and beg/borrow/steal data from career services. Your (and that's the royal 'your' for everyone out there reading in paranoid law student land) career depends on it.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Our career services sucks and has no data. So, therefore, I should just bid on firms I would bid on no matter what?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't know how much more clear I can be. "We do not have that data" is not an acceptable answer from your career services office. You are their boss - you pay their salary. Get the data.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby dood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm

kalvano wrote:Our career services sucks and has no data. So, therefore, I should just bid on firms I would bid on no matter what?


yea.

otherwise, bro, just poast ur school, approx rank, and bid list and we can all opine on it from our experiences.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:19 pm

kalvano wrote:Just what the title says. I've often read that what firms ask for in OCI on Symplicity is not accurate in what they actually take. Is it usually lower or higher? Also, some firms say "required" in front of their percentages and others just "prefer" or have no qualifier. Obviously firms that say "required top 5%" are out, but should any weight be given to what they ask for generally, or should bids just be placed on any firm that looks appealing?

Sadly, my school doesn't break down what firms actually hire for us.


Just curious, is SMU bid or pre-select?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:I don't know how much more clear I can be. "We do not have that data" is not an acceptable answer from your career services office. You are their boss - you pay their salary. Get the data.



Shall I firebomb the office? They can't give me what they don't have.

They do not keep track of the GPA ranges firms actually pull from as opposed to what they say they prefer.
Last edited by kalvano on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
kalvano wrote:Just what the title says. I've often read that what firms ask for in OCI on Symplicity is not accurate in what they actually take. Is it usually lower or higher? Also, some firms say "required" in front of their percentages and others just "prefer" or have no qualifier. Obviously firms that say "required top 5%" are out, but should any weight be given to what they ask for generally, or should bids just be placed on any firm that looks appealing?

Sadly, my school doesn't break down what firms actually hire for us.


Just curious, is SMU bid or pre-select?



It says "bids" on Symplicity.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 pm

dood wrote:
kalvano wrote:Our career services sucks and has no data. So, therefore, I should just bid on firms I would bid on no matter what?


yea.

otherwise, bro, just poast ur school, approx rank, and bid list and we can all opine on it from our experiences.



I will once I have all the necessary info. Still waiting on LR / journal selection.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby dood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 pm

kalvano wrote:
dood wrote:
kalvano wrote:Our career services sucks and has no data. So, therefore, I should just bid on firms I would bid on no matter what?


yea.

otherwise, bro, just poast ur school, approx rank, and bid list and we can all opine on it from our experiences.



I will once I have all the necessary info. Still waiting on LR / journal selection.


LR / journal will not compensate for not meeting a GPA requirement. im not trying to "get you" to poast ur stats, just saying...it matters, but not enough to make a significant difference.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Firms Requested GPA Percentage Versus Actual

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 pm

+1 to dood. Journal will help at the places you apply, but it shouldn't change anybody's bidlist. Getting LR or being on any journal will help you land offers but not meaningfully change the firms at which you're in the running.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.