Roberts & Holland

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Roberts & Holland

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Anyone know much about them/work there? Tiny tax boutique in NYC, and their website is from about 2003. Hiring seems to be very competitive going by attorney profiles (Associates are Harvard, Columbia, NYU or LR/summa from T1s), most but not all with tax LLMs. Otherwise, information is scarce.

Good place to start in tax law?

ruski

Re: Roberts & Holland

Postby ruski » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 am

i know they pay market (160) and the hours there are supposedly really nice. but its near impossible to get a job there. they dont like taking laterals and they only have about 2 summer associates a year. also their summer program is only 4 weeks long. being a tax boutique the issues they deal with are really complex and the work they do is very interesting form what i've been told. they get a lot of work from accounting firms when the work becomes too complex for them. also they only formally visit three schools (columbia, nyu, harvard) so thats what might explain the number of associates from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:17 am

Do you know if they would consider a top Columbia student who is interested in tax but has no pre-law school background in accounting or tax? That is, clearly you need top grades, but is a background also required? Given that they are so specialized, it seems likely that a background is required, but I'd like to know more at least. Their practice does sound very interesting.

ruski

Postby ruski » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 am

i doubt they really care whether you have a background in accounting or tax. i know several of the associates there are your regular law school grads with liberal arts degrees in poli sci or the sciences or what have you. accounting is very different from what tax lawyers do.

i think it is very fit focused. as they only take 2 summers they can afford to be very very picky. i think they are just looking for very bright, yet personable people. i know they also do 3L recruiting as some of their summers actually end up taking a biglaw offer over them.

Return to “Legal Employment”