Drastic Improvement in 2L Grades/Other

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drastic Improvement in 2L Grades/Other

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm

A bit self-explanatory in the title. More specifically: did really well in 3 classes, including one taught by a practitioner from a firm that would be one of two firms I would really like to end up at because of reputation in my practice area. Liked the partner who taught the class, developed a friendly relationship with him. Firm known for being a complete sweatshop. Coming to 3L OCI, so I know they are at least open to taking 3Ls.

Background info: current SA at a well-respected semi-regional firm, not a sweatshop, really nice people and comparable clients (pays market, but bonuses tend to be lower than the above firm). I really like working here.

Issue 1: Being a SA at a different firm in the same area, what is etiquette for contacting this guy to tell him I am really interested in his firm? Or should I just wait and grab a 3L slot from them at OCI and contact him then?

Issue 2: I don't want to jeopardize anything with the firm where I am an SA. It's an awesome place to work, esp. for a law firm. Should I just be content and forget about this altogether?

timbs4339

Re: Drastic Improvement in 2L Grades/Other

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A bit self-explanatory in the title. More specifically: did really well in 3 classes, including one taught by a practitioner from a firm that would be one of two firms I would really like to end up at because of reputation in my practice area. Liked the partner who taught the class, developed a friendly relationship with him. Firm known for being a complete sweatshop. Coming to 3L OCI, so I know they are at least open to taking 3Ls.

Background info: current SA at a well-respected semi-regional firm, not a sweatshop, really nice people and comparable clients (pays market, but bonuses tend to be lower than the above firm). I really like working here.

Issue 1: Being a SA at a different firm in the same area, what is etiquette for contacting this guy to tell him I am really interested in his firm? Or should I just wait and grab a 3L slot from them at OCI and contact him then?

Issue 2: I don't want to jeopardize anything with the firm where I am an SA. It's an awesome place to work, esp. for a law firm. Should I just be content and forget about this altogether?

I doubt your current firm would find out or care if you tried to do 3L OCI. You might as well try, but the chances of you getting a job from 3L OCI are very low anyway. But it sounds like you are happy at your current, market-paying job. It sounds like the sweatshop reputation of the firm you are considering applying to is an important consideration for you. If you feel your current experience at the regional firm really represents what associate life is like there, you might want to think twice about switching.

Anonymous User

Re: Drastic Improvement in 2L Grades/Other

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 pm

At my TTT (Boalt), we had a grand total of 3 Third years land jobs from OCI, I would not count on it, but maybe your school is better.

Return to “Legal Employment”