Do Summer Starters at Umich have an advantage at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarkL234

Do Summer Starters at Umich have an advantage at OCI?

Postby MarkL234 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 pm

I am a summer starter at Umich and had around median grades for my 1L classes but did much better last semester in my electives, bringing my cumulative GPA up to around a 3.4

How will firms look at this? Will they care that I did better in the uncurved seminars or just look at the total GPA. If they just look at the total gpa don't summer starters have a big advantage over fall starters?

Helmholtz

Re: Do Summer Starters at Umich have an advantage at OCI?

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:53 pm

MarkL234 wrote:I am a summer starter at Umich and had around median grades for my 1L classes but did much better last semester in my electives, bringing my cumulative GPA up to around a 3.4

How will firms look at this? Will they care that I did better in the uncurved seminars or just look at the total GPA. If they just look at the total gpa don't summer starters have a big advantage over fall starters?

From what I've heard, they pretty much just look at 1L courses, but don't know from personal experience. That also seems to be what common sense dictates. Also have heard talk of a "summer starter" stigma, but that seems pretty questionable to me.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
MarkL234 wrote:I am a summer starter at Umich and had around median grades for my 1L classes but did much better last semester in my electives, bringing my cumulative GPA up to around a 3.4

From what I've heard, they pretty much just look at 1L courses, but don't know from personal experience. That also seems to be what common sense dictates. Also have heard talk of a "summer starter" stigma, but that seems pretty questionable to me.

What would be the reason for that stigma? Because it might be easier to get in as a sumemr starter because that's where all the ED'ers go? I can't imagine that having much of an effect.

Anyway, as a fall starter I've thought about this before. Though more weight will obviously be placed on 1L grades I wouldn't be shocked if a summer starter with a 3.3 in 1L classes who boosts his gpa to a 3.6 through electives is looked better upon by some than a fall starter for a 3.3. It probably helps that summer starters are so specific to Michigan (if every school had them firms would likely have definitive policies).

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm

goodolgil wrote:What would be the reason for that stigma? Because it might be easier to get in as a sumemr starter because that's where all the ED'ers go? I can't imagine that having much of an effect.

Yes to the reason behind a possible stigma, and yes, I agree that it won't have much of an effect, if any. Also, since the bulk of the interviewers will be Michigan grads, I'm pretty sure they'll know what's up in terms of easier curves, and the general competitiveness of courses. It's not like anybody is going to be tricked by a 3.3 1L year and A's in seminars where everybody gets an A- for showing up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't know whether that's true. During my year, we had to take an elective, as fall starters, our second semester, and the grade I received in that was definitely better than my average GPA. It made my transcript look good, and I'm almost positive my interviewers didn't care that the course wasn't a core 1L course.

That said, I don't think summer starters receive an advantage. And I don't think there is a stigma, at least if the firms that summer starters I know are working at are any indication.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:38 pm

I do not think summer starters are able to change their GPA too much to begin with. They have an extra 8 to 10 units. So say they averaged a 3.3 in the 1L classes, took an extra 8 units, and got a 3.6 in those, they would raise their gpa to 3.375. That's definitely an improvement, but I think that's like the upper-side of how large of a jump they could make. Also, this has to be done with the work/pressure/trying to maintain gpa of one 1L curved class.

If this was done through Law & X classes, I think a firm will not really value the jump all that much. If it was done through actual classes, I think the firm on the hand would. Then again, if you are taking actual classes, there's just as good of a chance your gpa will go down. Given that you need 8-10 units, and these classes will be popular, I feel like it would be hard to fill it with uncurved classes, but maybe I am wrong about this. I very much doubt there is any stigma to being a summer starter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Summer starter here as well. First of all, I've been told by career services (take it for what you will) that firms tend to look at your overall GPA, and tend not to pull out your 1L courses. They don't really have the time, and as long as your 3rd semester wasn't packed with Creativity and the Law type courses, it will help.

Anonymous User wrote:I do not think summer starters are able to change their GPA too much to begin with. They have an extra 8 to 10 units. So say they averaged a 3.3 in the 1L classes, took an extra 8 units, and got a 3.6 in those, they would raise their gpa to 3.375. That's definitely an improvement, but I think that's like the upper-side of how large of a jump they could make. Also, this has to be done with the work/pressure/trying to maintain gpa of one 1L curved class.

If this was done through Law & X classes, I think a firm will not really value the jump all that much. If it was done through actual classes, I think the firm on the hand would. Then again, if you are taking actual classes, there's just as good of a chance your gpa will go down. Given that you need 8-10 units, and these classes will be popular, I feel like it would be hard to fill it with uncurved classes, but maybe I am wrong about this. I very much doubt there is any stigma to being a summer starter.

I increased my GPA almost .2, so it's definitely possible to see a big jump (or decline). As for a stigma, I doubt there is any as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”