patent group within NYC biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

patent group within NYC biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:23 pm

I know that NALP lists practice areas, but it is still pretty hard to figure out the hiring situation of patent groups within big firms.

Anyone has info to share about which big firms in NYC have needs in patent prosecution? And more specifically life sciences?

thesealocust

Re: patent group within NYC biglaw

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:38 pm

I doubt any big NYC firms do life sciences patent prosecution. NB: I could be fully of shit, but of the big NYC firms I am familiar with none do anything like that.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that NALP lists practice areas, but it is still pretty hard to figure out the hiring situation of patent groups within big firms.

Anyone has info to share about which big firms in NYC have needs in patent prosecution? And more specifically life sciences?

None of the top firms do prosecution work because it involves lots of risk, requires high volume, and returns a low profit. More specifically, malpractice judgments have skyrocketed, the market has been flooded with entry-level patent agents/attorneys, and the price companies are willing to pay per patent has plummeted.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 am

I have no idea how hiring works for them, but Ropes does prosecution... you may want to look at BigLaw firms that have acquired boutiques. But in most cases, any prosecution work is rare in BigLaw, especially I'd imagine in NYC. You're looking at boutiques, and even then, prosecution groups are struggling since they just can't bill enough due to the competitive factors mentioned before.

Return to “Legal Employment”