International JD Student Employment Prospect?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thisischarlie

International JD Student Employment Prospect?

Postby thisischarlie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 am

I am an international student (F-1 holder) who graduated from an American college.

Did the research, but did not find much information about international student employment prospect.

I am admitted to a tier-1 law school and paid the two deposits. it looks like i am going to attend, but I am still not fully committed to the idea of getting a JD degree since I am seriously concerned about the employment prospect for an international student,especially at a tier 1 school.

Does anyone know anything about international students' job prospect? Any information is utterly appreciated!

THANKS!!!

thisischarlie

Re: International JD Student Employment Prospect?

Postby thisischarlie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 pm

anyone? from any school?

dood

Postby dood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 pm

what school

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

How are you financing your education? Does your home country have many US based law firms operating in it (UK or China)?

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Here are a few links that might help.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3060

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22449

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148578

Just so I'm clear, this is not a "why did you not use the search function noob" post, I just genuinely think those links might help the OP a bit. There isn't much information for internationals, and it's hard to find the little that's scattered out there.

Also, OP, 0Ls aren't supposed to be in this forum, so this thread will probably be locked soon. Or moved.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm an international JD student/rising 3L. PM me if you want. Long story short: the fact that you are international won't be a problem for getting a firm job(I'm working at a firm this summer and no-one batted an eyelid that I was foreign except to ask wtf I was doing in America in the first place) but if you don't land one you're going to be in a sticky situation(unless you won't have to go into debt to go to law school in which case you will have just wasted 3 years and probably have to move home unless you can find someone to marry).

Sheenam123

Postby Sheenam123 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Hello I am planning to do J.D from the states. Can anyone tell me about the job prospects for international students after that? Also what is the work visa status like nowadays?Thank you and pleasee help!

Return to “Legal Employment”