Bidding questions, NYU 3.7x

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bidding questions, NYU 3.7x

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:49 am

Okay, so I've put my bidlist together for a variety of cities I'm interested in, but I'm not sure how to integrate them to maximize my interviews. My main question is how low can I bid places in DC, Boston or SF and still get interviews (and how to integrate the four lists I have), but I also want general advice on my list...

To restate the title and give a little more information, NYU rising 2L, GPA in the low 3.7s (around top 7-8% or so?), strong ties to Boston and NYC, some family ties to SF as well, no real ties to DC.

NYC
(Top 6 are the safeties. Is this enough? Too many? Bottom 3 are reaches. Are they too low to get interviews?)

1. Ropes
2. White & Case
3. Latham
4. Cahill
5. Shearman
6. Milbank
7. Debevoise
8. Paul Weiss
9. Sullivan & Cromwell
10. Cleary
11. Skadden
12. Weil
13. Simpson Thacher
14. Davis Polk
15. Cravath
16. Wachtell

Boston

1. Ropes
2. WilmerHale
3. Goodwin Procter

DC

1. Covington
2. WilmerHale
3. Arnold & Porter
4. Skadden
5. Jones Day
6. Akin Gump

San Francisco (no IP background)

1. Wilson Sonsini
2. Latham
3. Morrison & Foerster
4. Orrick

Also, I was not going to bother filling out my list and just bid on about 30-35 firms. Is this the right strategy, or should I be digging deeper for more safeties or looking at more cities? (Also, W&C does not do EIW at NYU, so please don't suggest them.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Re: Bidding questions, NYU 3.7x

Postby GeePee » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 am

I don't like this bidlist. First, it seems like you are just running after prestige without thinking about what you want out of a BigLaw job. You're evenly divided between lit and corporate-focused firms. This is probably why you have so few safeties on your list. Most people have at least a few safeties where they like the work environment but would take a more prestigious position if available (which, while questionable, is fine).

Second is that you're essentially chopping off sections of your bidlist by trying to cover multiple markets. Where do you want to work? You don't need to apply everywhere you have ties. I'd chop off two of those cities and start again.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 am

First, I'm gonna channel my inner SeaLocust and tell you there are no such things as safeties. From talking to everyone from people who have done OCI, CSO, and people at firms, I would have to agree with SeaLocust.

I think the bottom line is that firms know if you are trying to use them as "safeties". They will eventually see your GPA and unless you can present compelling evidence saying I want to work for your firm specifically because of Y, then they're going to see right through it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:08 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:First, I'm gonna channel my inner SeaLocust and tell you there are no such things as safeties. From talking to everyone from people who have done OCI, CSO, and people at firms, I would have to agree with SeaLocust.

I think the bottom line is that firms know if you are trying to use them as "safeties". They will eventually see your GPA and unless you can present compelling evidence saying I want to work for your firm specifically because of Y, then they're going to see right through it.

Those firms are still places that rarely touch median in their hiring at NYU. It would be different if we were talking about bidding on something outside of the V50 with a 3.7.

In other words, this is unhelpful.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 am

Based on my experience, firms do not really care about whether they think you are trying to use them as a safety or not until you get to the callback stage, and even then I'm not sure it really has much of an effect if you are a decent interviewer. Giving out many more offers than will accept doesn't drop their firm in the rankings like it does law schools. I've seen a lot of firms give out 20 or so offers and have only 1 or 2 people accept- they can't be that concerned with yield. I think this is one of those areas where the OCI hiring process differs drastically from the law school admissions process. Especially ITE when many firms know they can be more selective (although some of them apparently overestimate how selective they can be).

Some markets may question your commitment to that market if you tell them you are bidding on 4 markets though. But you have the grades to take those chances.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:57 am

I agree with much of what others have written. I think you are placing yourself in a difficult position by choosing more than 2 markets, especially competitive markets for NYU students like SF. Also, it would make sense to have a few more less selective firms. V20s can be quite selective especially if business slows in the next 2 months. You have a high GPA but everyone who gets a callback at your listed firms will too so you can't wholly rely on that fact.

ruski

Postby ruski » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:17 pm

i only remember that last year skadden is surprisingly hard to get as it is probably the least selective top tier firm, so literally everyone bids for it. so if you really want it you should place it higher or just get rid of it.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:19 pm

ruski wrote:i only remember that last year skadden is surprisingly hard to get as it is probably the least selective top tier firm, so literally everyone bids for it. so if you really want it you should place it higher or just get rid of it.

Skadden is only harder to get because they aren't doing super well and don't have the work-flow to sustain a large summer class.

ruski

Postby ruski » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Based on my experience, firms do not really care about whether they think you are trying to use them as a safety or not until you get to the callback stage.

my experience said otherwise. my gpa was just slightly below OPs and I only got one callback from v50-v100 (but had applied to several) whereas i got a callback at almost every firm that was v10-v50.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:
ruski wrote:i only remember that last year skadden is surprisingly hard to get as it is probably the least selective top tier firm, so literally everyone bids for it. so if you really want it you should place it higher or just get rid of it.

Skadden is only harder to get because they aren't doing super well and don't have the work-flow to sustain a large summer class.

I think he meant hard to get interviews, not hard to get a callback/offer necessarily, which jives with what I've heard from current rising 3Ls.

Return to “Legal Employment”