Moot Court's Effect On OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cavalier

Re: Moot Court's Effect On OCI

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Moot court will probably have the same effect as a secondary journal, which is not much (if any). It gives you something to talk about, but employers aren't going to be that impressed. Most won't even know that moot court is "competitive"; at many schools anyone can do moot court. I think moot court is generally enjoyable, it can lead to a good writing sample, and if you become a finalist or win best brief or best oralist you'll have something worth putting on your resume, but by itself, it's not going to provide a noticable boost.

Mitch McDeere

Postby Mitch McDeere » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:50 pm

At my school, I get the feeling that most of the students regard moot court as more prestigious (for whatever that's worth). But I know that the general consensus on here is that journals > moot court for employment purposes (with the caveat that some PD or DA offices may value moot court/mock trial more). Does anyone know if this holds true for schools ranked a little lower? Since most of the advice on here is catered to the T14 students, I'm wondering if employers really care more about your participation on some unheard of secondary journal at a T2 more than moot court/mock trial.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:01 pm

If you made moot court, but you didn't make the LR or any other journal, then it is by definition more competitive to get onto LR or another journal.

Its not like LR took a pass on you because they knew you had the high honor of moot court. If they wanted you, they would have made an offer.

In any event, as you have identified in your observations, firms don't care about moot court. They need people who can win writing competitions. Seriously. They aren't going to have you argue anything for years and years. But they immediately need people who can write.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 pm

I just want to second a comment that was made earlier: don't talk up moot court so much that it is obvious you don't have perspective. Its a nice honor but its no law review. Even if members of your moot court are anointed as gods, no interviewer is going to believe or care.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Yeah it seems like you're missing some of the competitive aspect. Let's say there are 200 people at your school. Only the most motivated, most ambitious 60 even bother with the write-on process. Thus, the journal takes 1/4 of the best and brightest the school has. I know, at least at my school, the mock trial tryout is MUCH easier than the journal write on and the moot court tryout is much easier too. Thus, more people tryout because it requires less effort. A lot of these people just didn't have the stones for journal tryouts. So the fact moot court takes 20/120 middling applicants is a pretty shallow measurement of how selective it is if the journal is taking 15/60 of the best. That may not be the situation at your school, but it's possible. There's a lot of factors swirling around.

Also, I'm on moot court, and no one gives a damn. The law review people are gods. YMMV.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:23 pm

People are getting way to specific. In the legal industry - the whole thing - Law Review is a widely understood and respected honor. Secondary journals and moot court participation are widely understood and respected extracurricular activities.

That perception doesn't have to be valid at your school or valid for any individual or even make sense. It is what it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:37 pm

I interviewed with a few smaller (5-10 lawyer firms in secondary markets) that really liked moot court over law review. They were small trial firms and thought the brief writing and arguing was directly applicable to what they did. At my school you have to finish in the top 8-10 people in the moot court tournament at the end of the year and get an A in your legal writing class to get on moot court. However, every larger employer I interviewed with (i.e., 40+ attorney firm, $115K+ starting salary) thought law review was all that mattered and would not interview you if you weren't on at least some journal.

If you want to get in with a 5 person personal injury firm that plans on providing early court time, I could see them liking moot court, otherwise, you should try to get on a journal too. I've heard some journals allow people to write notes as 2Ls or 3Ls, and if they publish the article you're "on" law review. Maybe this is how it works at your school.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:13 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah it seems like you're missing some of the competitive aspect. Let's say there are 200 people at your school. Only the most motivated, most ambitious 60 even bother with the write-on process. Thus, the journal takes 1/4 of the best and brightest the school has. I know, at least at my school, the mock trial tryout is MUCH easier than the journal write on and the moot court tryout is much easier too. Thus, more people tryout because it requires less effort. A lot of these people just didn't have the stones for journal tryouts. So the fact moot court takes 20/120 middling applicants is a pretty shallow measurement of how selective it is if the journal is taking 15/60 of the best. That may not be the situation at your school, but it's possible. There's a lot of factors swirling around.

Also, I'm on moot court, and no one gives a damn. The law review people are gods. YMMV.

You're exaggerating here with the "best and brightest" talk

ambitious + aiming for firm work + hard working? yeah

best and brightest? fuck no

Return to “Legal Employment”