Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks, just saw that Orrick isn't at Michigan's OCI this year. All I have is last year's firm list. Guess I'll pull them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Michigan transfer from T2: Top 5% at old school. No idea what I'm doing here. Our OCI had 1 NY firm, so this is all new to me. Be as harsh/helpful as you want. All NY.

1. Fried Frank
2. Cadwalader
3. Milbank
4. Dewey
5. Paul Hastings
6. Paul Weiss
7. Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
8. Cahill
9. White & Case
10. Davis Polk & Wardwell
12. Kasowitz
12. Schulte
13. Cleary
14. Clifford Chance
15. Dechert
16. Ropes & Gray
17. Kirkland & Ellis
18. Shearman
19. Linklaters
20. Kaye Scholer
21 Nixon Peabody
22. Latham
23. Jones day
24. Gibson
25. Chadbourne
26. Allen & Overy
27. Proskauer
28. Orrick
29. Hughes
30. Seward


Debevoise is probably a serious, serious longshot and more than likely, isn't worth a bid. I don't think they're too friendly towards transfers. I would either move DPW much farther down the list or take them off. DPW's grade-selectiveness probably scares off a lot of people, so don't think that moving them down farther guarantees no shot.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:39 pm

No need to think too deeply about this for me. At a 100% preselect school with no bid limits, I will just submit my resume to every single firm coming and see how many screening interviews I can schedule in 3 days.

Done and done.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Debevoise is probably a serious, serious longshot and more than likely, isn't worth a bid. I don't think they're too friendly towards transfers. I would either move DPW much farther down the list or take them off. DPW's grade-selectiveness probably scares off a lot of people, so don't think that moving them down farther guarantees no shot.


Thanks a lot. How far down the list? Mid-lower-twenties?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Debevoise is probably a serious, serious longshot and more than likely, isn't worth a bid. I don't think they're too friendly towards transfers. I would either move DPW much farther down the list or take them off. DPW's grade-selectiveness probably scares off a lot of people, so don't think that moving them down farther guarantees no shot.


Thanks a lot. How far down the list? Mid-lower-twenties?


Just eyeballing it, I would stick them below Gibson, JD, and Latham, but above Chadbourne and Allen.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby mths » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Debevoise is probably a serious, serious longshot and more than likely, isn't worth a bid. I don't think they're too friendly towards transfers. I would either move DPW much farther down the list or take them off. DPW's grade-selectiveness probably scares off a lot of people, so don't think that moving them down farther guarantees no shot.


Thanks a lot. How far down the list? Mid-lower-twenties?


Just eyeballing it, I would stick them below Gibson, JD, and Latham, but above Chadbourne and Allen.

I disagree, I think they should go below Chadbourne at least.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 pm

mths wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Debevoise is probably a serious, serious longshot and more than likely, isn't worth a bid. I don't think they're too friendly towards transfers. I would either move DPW much farther down the list or take them off. DPW's grade-selectiveness probably scares off a lot of people, so don't think that moving them down farther guarantees no shot.


Thanks a lot. How far down the list? Mid-lower-twenties?


Just eyeballing it, I would stick them below Gibson, JD, and Latham, but above Chadbourne and Allen.

I disagree, I think they should go below Chadbourne at least.

Put it above Chadbourne - it doesn't matter. This person isn't even close to getting Chadbourne in the 20's anyways, so might as well put them above.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 pm

mths wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Debevoise is probably a serious, serious longshot and more than likely, isn't worth a bid. I don't think they're too friendly towards transfers. I would either move DPW much farther down the list or take them off. DPW's grade-selectiveness probably scares off a lot of people, so don't think that moving them down farther guarantees no shot.


Thanks a lot. How far down the list? Mid-lower-twenties?


Just eyeballing it, I would stick them below Gibson, JD, and Latham, but above Chadbourne and Allen.

I disagree, I think they should go below Chadbourne at least.


Maybe you're right. I don't really know anything about Chadbourne. Not on my radar. Assumed they were a firm who took people slightly below median-ish and had a small SA class.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 pm

mths wrote:Orrick backed out of a few OCIs...might be a red flag


Still at Vandy of all places.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 pm

I am top 5% at GULC. Really interested more in government work than firms, but I think it would be a mistake to sit OCI out. As far as firms go, I am interested in litigation but don't know enough to specify what kind. I would like to split my summer so I want to stay in DC, but I threw a few NY firms in there just in case. Bid system is lottery, however your top 20 firms are given your resume and the school tells them "these students put your firm high on the bid list" without specifying the exact number.

1. Williams & Connolly LLP (Washington, DC)
2. Covington & Burling (Washington, DC)
3. Arnold & Porter LLP (Washington, DC)
4. Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Washington, DC)
5. WilmerHale (Washington, DC)
6. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP (Washington, DC)
7. Sullivan & Cromwell (Washington, DC)
8. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (Washington, DC)
9. Jones Day (Washington, DC)
10. Hogan Lovells (Washington, DC)
11. Latham & Watkins (Washington, DC)
12. Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP (New York, NY)
13. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison (New York, NY)
14. Debevoise & Plimpton (New York, NY)
15. Goodwin Procter LLP (Washington, DC)
16. White & Case LLP (Washington, DC)
17. O'Melveny & [deleted] LLP (Washington, DC)
18. Wiley Rein LLP (Washington, DC)
19. Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP (Washington, DC)
20. Sidley Austin LLP (Washington, DC)
21. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Washington, DC)
22. Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton (Washington, DC)
23. Steptoe & Johnson LLP (Washington, DC)
24. Davis Polk & Wardwell (New York, NY)
25. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (New York, NY)
26. Shearman & Sterling LLP (New York, NY)
27. White & Case LLP (New York, NY)
28. Chadbourne & Parke, LLP (New York, NY)
29. Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton (New York, NY)
30. Latham & Watkins (New York, NY)

Am I even close to a good list or should I start over?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Add Simpson Thacher NYC and Weil NYC. Move Steptoe up to top 20. Change SullCrom to NYC office - DC office is small and does NYC work anyways. Not sure if you had both Skadden NYC and DC, but add both. Add Boies.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for my silly question. For a person in the top 10% at CCN (assume near the low end, so top 8-10%), is Wachtell the only real reach firm from the list of firms that do corporate in NYC? I understand that there aren't really safeties, etc when it comes to firms, but I want to make sure that I'm not placing firms too high up on my list that will dock me because I'm not top 5% or whatever.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:08 am

Top 5% at HLS. Interested in litigation, particularly appellate. Prefer DC, but would be ok with NY. Anything obvious I'm missing?

1. Williams and Connolly (DC)
2. Jenner and Block (DC)
3. Gibson Dunn (DC)
4. WilmerHale (DC)
5. Covington (DC)
6. Mayer Brown (DC)
7. Sidley Austin (DC)
8. O'Melveny (DC)
9. Jones Day (DC)
10. Akin Gump (DC)
11. Cravath (NY)
12. Sullivan and Cromwell (NY)
13. Kirkland Ellis (DC)
14. Arnold and Porter (DC)
15. Quinn Emmanuel (NY)
16. Boies Schiller (NY)
17. Cleary (NY)
18. Davis Polk (NY)
19. Hogan Lovells (DC)
20. Skadden (NY)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to start a whole new thread for my silly question. For a person in the top 10% at CCN (assume near the low end, so top 8-10%), is Wachtell the only real reach firm from the list of firms that do corporate in NYC? I understand that there aren't really safeties, etc when it comes to firms, but I want to make sure that I'm not placing firms too high up on my list that will dock me because I'm not top 5% or whatever.



This is my situation as well (low end of top 10% at CLS/NYU, around 8% or so), and I think that's correct for corporate, but I would like to know from a more authoritative source than myself.

Actually, Covington NY for corporate is probably also a reach.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to start a whole new thread for my silly question. For a person in the top 10% at CCN (assume near the low end, so top 8-10%), is Wachtell the only real reach firm from the list of firms that do corporate in NYC? I understand that there aren't really safeties, etc when it comes to firms, but I want to make sure that I'm not placing firms too high up on my list that will dock me because I'm not top 5% or whatever.



This is my situation as well (low end of top 10% at CLS/NYU, around 8% or so), and I think that's correct for corporate, but I would like to know from a more authoritative source than myself.

Actually, Covington NY for corporate is probably also a reach.

I have heard that Covington NY is less selective than their DC office, but I'm not sure. Their NY summer class is tiny (6 people) compared to the other top firms, so maybe even for their less prestigious NY office they can be very selective?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Top 10%, T30, VA/DC area. Law Review, Moot Court.

I'd like to work in DC. We've got a couple of big firms coming for OCI and our "bids" are really just preselect. I'm applying to:

Arnold & Porter
Gibson Dunn
Fitzpatrick Cella Harper
Keller and Heckmann
Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker
Venable
Wilmer Hale

If they're coming for OCI, I'm guessing they're at least intrigued. Are there other DC firms I should be considering for targeted mailings? Thanks!

User avatar
dresq
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby dresq » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10%, T30, VA/DC area. Law Review, Moot Court.

I'd like to work in DC. We've got a couple of big firms coming for OCI and our "bids" are really just preselect. I'm applying to:

Arnold & Porter
Gibson Dunn
Fitzpatrick Cella Harper
Keller and Heckmann
Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker
Venable
Wilmer Hale

If they're coming for OCI, I'm guessing they're at least intrigued. Are there other DC firms I should be considering for targeted mailings? Thanks!

You do know this is a patent law firm, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 pm

...I do now - thanks! I missed that on my first scan of firms visiting.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:18 pm

rad law wrote:
mths wrote:Orrick backed out of a few OCIs...might be a red flag


Still at Vandy of all places.


Rad, I'm curious to know how Vandy is doing with OCI--have you heard much? I imagine VULS does really well with TN, GA, FL, DC, some east coast and midwest. Does anyone come from TX?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5% at HLS. Interested in litigation, particularly appellate. Prefer DC, but would be ok with NY. Anything obvious I'm missing?

1. Williams and Connolly (DC)
2. Jenner and Block (DC)
3. Gibson Dunn (DC)
4. WilmerHale (DC)
5. Covington (DC)
6. Mayer Brown (DC)
7. Sidley Austin (DC)
8. O'Melveny (DC)
9. Jones Day (DC)
10. Akin Gump (DC)
11. Cravath (NY)
12. Sullivan and Cromwell (NY)
13. Kirkland Ellis (DC)
14. Arnold and Porter (DC)
15. Quinn Emmanuel (NY)
16. Boies Schiller (NY)
17. Cleary (NY)
18. Davis Polk (NY)
19. Hogan Lovells (DC)
20. Skadden (NY)



Quick question - what's top 5%? 9Hs?

I have 6Hs, DS, and 3Ps - any idea where that puts me?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For a person in the top 10% at CCN (assume near the low end, so top 8-10%), is Wachtell the only real reach firm from the list of firms that do corporate in NYC? I understand that.


This is my situation as well (low end of top 10% at CLS/NYU, around 8% or so), and I think that's correct for corporate, but I would like to know from a more authoritative source than myself.


That's completely correct. Even Wachtell is only a 'reach' because of how few people it hires, not because of your grades. You won't get offers everywhere, but if you want to work at a top tier NYC firm doing corporate work and aren't a freakshow you will be able to without compromising as a result of grades-based selectivity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Didn't want to start a whole new thread for my silly question. For a person in the top 10% at CCN (assume near the low end, so top 8-10%), is Wachtell the only real reach firm from the list of firms that do corporate in NYC? I understand that there aren't really safeties, etc when it comes to firms, but I want to make sure that I'm not placing firms too high up on my list that will dock me because I'm not top 5% or whatever.



This is my situation as well (low end of top 10% at CLS/NYU, around 8% or so), and I think that's correct for corporate, but I would like to know from a more authoritative source than myself.

Actually, Covington NY for corporate is probably also a reach.

I have heard that Covington NY is less selective than their DC office, but I'm not sure. Their NY summer class is tiny (6 people) compared to the other top firms, so maybe even for their less prestigious NY office they can be very selective?


Eh, with such a small office it's hard to know and probably depends on how many top students are interested in a given year. I bid on Covington NY, but we'll see if I get anywhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Penn, good WE, Just below B+ average (median? hair under?)

Top 10 bids are "super," i.e. almost certain to get 9/10 or 10/10 of top 10. NY office for all firms except Perkins Coie. Litigation focus.

P.S. Just what I have so far, we get 50 bids. Rank order always matters.


1. Kasowitz Benson Torres and Friedman
2. Kaye Scholer
3. Pillsbury
4. Dewey and LeBoeuf
5. Venable
6. Schulte Roth and Zabel
7. Patterson Belknap
8. Perkins Coie
9. Willkie Farr
10. Kramer Levin

11. Paul Hastings
12. Hogan Lovells
13. Latham
14. Jones Day
15. Proskauer
16. Cleary
17. Linklaters
18. Orrick
19. Goodwin Procter
20. White and Case
21. Stroock
22. Cahill Gordon
23. Sherman and Sterling
24. Allan and Overy
25. O'Melveny
26. Reed Smith
27. Baker and Hosteler
28. Sidley Austin
29. Winston and Strawn
30. Mayer Brown
31. Arent Fox
32. Milbank
33. Quinn Emanuel
34. Paul Weiss

Anonymous User
Posts: 273586
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stanford, around top 25-33% (7 Hs, 6 Ps, 2 book prizes). Not sure about Law Review yet. Want to litigate, considering SF, NYC, and DC almost exclusively. Do not want to do white collar defense, but open to everything else, including gov't/public interest. Thoughts on this list:


Does Munger even have summer associates in their SF office? I thought they only had 1Ls in the SF office and only hired 2Ls in LA?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Post Your Bidlists Here for Critique, Consolation & Caveats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Stanford, around top 25-33% (7 Hs, 6 Ps, 2 book prizes). Not sure about Law Review yet. Want to litigate, considering SF, NYC, and DC almost exclusively. Do not want to do white collar defense, but open to everything else, including gov't/public interest. Thoughts on this list:


Does Munger even have summer associates in their SF office? I thought they only had 1Ls in the SF office and only hired 2Ls in LA?


Take a look at their offer rate.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.