1L summer - firm or PI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer - firm or PI?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 am

I'm a 0L about to attend a lower top 14, but I'd like to work in a big firm in Northern Cali after graduating. There are some public interest opportunities there that I'm really interested in, and I also have some connections with firms from my hometown that just might help me land a 1L summer gig. The money would be great if I got a firm job, but I'm thinking that doing PI work in Cali would help me network there and demonstrate my connections to the area (though I do have other ties to the area).

So which should be my number 1 choice?

Note - I do realize that I need to do well in school to have a shot at either

worldtraveler

Re: 1L summer - firm or PI?

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:26 am

Almost all PI work doesn't look at your grades for 1L summer. They're going to be more concerned about your dedication and interest in the field, plus where you go to school.

You're also thinking about this way too far ahead of time and are most likely worrying about something that won't even be an issue. Focus on school, apply for jobs over winter break and just see what happens.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:34 am

1L's don't get firm work unless they are urm. Are you? If not, /thread

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 am

Cupidity wrote:1L's don't get firm work unless they are urm. Are you? If not, /thread

And not all URMs can swing a firm job I might add

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 am

Cupidity wrote:1L's don't get firm work unless they are urm. Are you? If not, /thread

I actually talked to attorneys in my hometown and know they hire 1Ls (and no, not just minorities). Next time you don't know all the facts, try to avoid this type of silly arrogance.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 am

This is plain false. I know tons of white males and females who are or have worked at firms 1L summer.

1L summer firm jobs are rarely the strict credentials based meritocracy 2L summer firm jobs at least purport to be, but they're hardly exclusively for URMs.

A particularly relevant background (usually language / geography / technical), a strong connection to a firm or a client, eye-popping grades (there are definitely firms that will pick up 1Ls just because they have ridiculous credentials), or even just randomly catching the interest somewhere have all gotten 1Ls of all stripes firm jobs in the past.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Why not make it a poll? I think my "arrogance" will be supported.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 pm

dr; tl, firm $ ftw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:13 am

Cupidity wrote:Why not make it a poll? I think my "arrogance" will be supported.

Because I know that this firm hires 1Ls, and I don't need a poll to reassure me about something I know as a fact. And to the extent that some posters may agree with you on this, that would only show that they are just as ignorant as you. The fact that you regurgitate generalizations that you read on this forum doesn't make them any more true.

Return to “Legal Employment”