Law firms and professional sports

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Law firms and professional sports

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:38 am

I am considering my preferences for my bid list for OCI. I want to work in NYC.

Which law firms have boxes at MSG? How do I find this out? If they have a box, how liberal are they with giving Knicks tickets to junior associates?

I think it is a good indicator for me as to a firm's QoL and the firm culture. And I definitely want to go to Knicks games, and tickets are expensive

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am considering my preferences for my bid list for OCI. I want to work in NYC.

Which law firms have boxes at MSG? How do I find this out? If they have a box, how liberal are they with giving Knicks tickets to junior associates?

I think it is a good indicator for me as to a firm's QoL and the firm culture. And I definitely want to go to Knicks games, and tickets are expensive


Sounds like you just want free tickets, in addition to your $160k salary and numerous other biglaw perks. How is it indicative of the firm's culture that they hand out box seats to random new associates, instead of to the clients that are paying $200/hr for your time so you can learn on the job? Also, what is the reason for this to be anonymous, other than to prevent you from being ridiculed for your sense of entitlement?
Last edited by Wholigan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby lawhawk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:02 pm

wholigan, you could've just said "I don't know" and been just as helpful to the OP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273345
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 pm

A firm could be an absolute sweatshop, work associates to death, and still have a box for the partners to schmooze with the clients. A firm could have a wonderful work/life balance, treat everyone very well, and have a box at the Garden. They are entirely unrelated to one another. You really sound like you need to get your priorities straightened out.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Headybrah » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:06 pm

He knows all. Wholigan has spoken

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I know NYC is expensive but if you can't find the money to go to some Knicks games on 160K+bonus then you're doing something wrong...

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby hds2388 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:15 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am considering my preferences for my bid list for OCI. I want to work in NYC.

Which law firms have boxes at MSG? How do I find this out? If they have a box, how liberal are they with giving Knicks tickets to junior associates?

I think it is a good indicator for me as to a firm's QoL and the firm culture. And I definitely want to go to Knicks games, and tickets are expensive


Wrong. You just want free tickets, in addition to your $160k salary and numerous other biglaw perks. How is it indicative of the firm's culture that they hand out box seats to random new associates, instead of to the clients that are paying $200/hr for your time so you can learn on the job? Also, what is the reason for this to be anonymous, other than to prevent you from being ridiculed for your sense of entitlement?


Nobody gets into biglaw for selfish reasons; this is why the salaries are humble and the attrition rates low. Its ok to want a firm that has nice things you want, provided you also are willing to do the substantive part of the job enthusiastically.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 pm

hds2388 wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am considering my preferences for my bid list for OCI. I want to work in NYC.

Which law firms have boxes at MSG? How do I find this out? If they have a box, how liberal are they with giving Knicks tickets to junior associates?

I think it is a good indicator for me as to a firm's QoL and the firm culture. And I definitely want to go to Knicks games, and tickets are expensive


Wrong. You just want free tickets, in addition to your $160k salary and numerous other biglaw perks. How is it indicative of the firm's culture that they hand out box seats to random new associates, instead of to the clients that are paying $200/hr for your time so you can learn on the job? Also, what is the reason for this to be anonymous, other than to prevent you from being ridiculed for your sense of entitlement?


Nobody gets into biglaw for selfish reasons; this is why the salaries are humble and the attrition rates low. Its ok to want a firm that has nice things you want, provided you also are willing to do the substantive part of the job enthusiastically.


I agree with your premise, but I also think one of the best ways an otherwise qualified candidate can damage his/her chances at a job is by coming across as entitled. I realize OP probably isn't going to ask this on an interview, but if you feel entitled, it is going to come through one way or another.

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby hds2388 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Wholigan wrote:
hds2388 wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am considering my preferences for my bid list for OCI. I want to work in NYC.

Which law firms have boxes at MSG? How do I find this out? If they have a box, how liberal are they with giving Knicks tickets to junior associates?

I think it is a good indicator for me as to a firm's QoL and the firm culture. And I definitely want to go to Knicks games, and tickets are expensive


Wrong. You just want free tickets, in addition to your $160k salary and numerous other biglaw perks. How is it indicative of the firm's culture that they hand out box seats to random new associates, instead of to the clients that are paying $200/hr for your time so you can learn on the job? Also, what is the reason for this to be anonymous, other than to prevent you from being ridiculed for your sense of entitlement?


Nobody gets into biglaw for selfish reasons; this is why the salaries are humble and the attrition rates low. Its ok to want a firm that has nice things you want, provided you also are willing to do the substantive part of the job enthusiastically.


I agree with your premise, but I also think one of the best ways an otherwise qualified candidate can damage his/her chances at a job is by coming across as entitled. I realize OP probably isn't going to ask this on an interview, but if you feel entitled, it is going to come through one way or another.


I just think when someone asks a QoL question about a firm it is not necessarily tactful to assume that they are being selfish or entitled. Maybe the specificity of his desire might seem arbitrary, but if thats a legitimate concern to him, I don't see the need to chastise him for it.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 pm

hds2388 wrote:I just think when someone asks a QoL question about a firm it is not necessarily tactful to assume that they are being selfish or entitled. Maybe the specificity of his desire might seem arbitrary, but if thats a legitimate concern to him, I don't see the need to chastise him for it.


Fair enough. Maybe I was a little hard on OP. I think the other anon post is correct, though, in saying whether or not a firm has MSG seats is completely unrelated to the QoL/culture. And if OP is not being entitled and MSG seats are just that important, I have to say this seems like a terrible way of bidding on firms. Nothing wrong with enjoying great Knicks seats, but why not choose firms were OP can see him/herself lasting at or paving the way for his/her next job, thus enabling the purchase of MSG seats for years to come.

NarwhalPunter
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Wtf? OP's question isn't dumb, not remotely.

Wholigan has obviously never worked for a company that offers these kinds of perks. Just because you don't give a rat's ass about Knicks tickets does not mean it is totally unrelated to firm QoL as you claim. If someone is a BIG FAN of basketball, baseball, football, opera, musicals, etc. and your firm offers PRIME SEATING for free at these events, this absolutely is something that enhances your work-life experience. Additionally, do you have a clue what a box at a Knicks game runs? Obviously not, because being able to attend a half dozen games a year with those seats is the equivalent of a very nice bonus.

I worked for years at a financial firm which offered season tickets to all the major sporting events and it was a significant boost in my career enjoyment. When the shit hit the fan with the financial crisis and these perks evaporated, guess what, morale went down for a lot of us. Likewise, at the end of my time there, the firm DID start buying the tickets again, but they were off-limits for all but the very top clients...even to the point that they went unused if a top client didn't want the tickets that night. Once again, this pissed everyone off who liked sports and we all bitched about it.

In sum, just because you think the fact that a firm offers season tickets, gym membership, on site babysitting, or whatever else is irrelevant, it doesn't make it so. Perhaps you should either offer helpful guidance in the future or STFU instead of belittling a legitimate OP question.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In sum, just because you think the fact that a firm offers season tickets, gym membership, on site babysitting, or whatever else is irrelevant, it doesn't make it so. Perhaps you should either offer helpful guidance in the future or STFU instead of belittling a legitimate OP question.


Seems like you answered the OP's question yourself with your tale of the tickets drying up. I am pretty sure that ITE, there aren't many firms giving box seats to first or second year associates unless they have absolutely no other use for the seats. Firms will advertize that they offer babysitting, gym access, car service, etc. No firm is going to promise you Knicks box seats if you work there. It's not fair to compare those perks.

So, do you think it's better to bid on firms based on tickets you'll probably never see, or based on putting yourself in a position where you might actually last to be a senior associate? At that point, you'd either (a) be able to afford box seats to a few games on your $250k salary (and yes, I am aware that they are expensive), or (b) actually get to take a client to a game if you are at a firm that has tickets.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 pm

NarwhalPunter wrote:Wtf? OP's question isn't dumb, not remotely.

Wholigan has obviously never worked for a company that offers these kinds of perks. Just because you don't give a rat's ass about Knicks tickets does not mean it is totally unrelated to firm QoL as you claim. If someone is a BIG FAN of basketball, baseball, football, opera, musicals, etc. and your firm offers PRIME SEATING for free at these events, this absolutely is something that enhances your work-life experience. Additionally, do you have a clue what a box at a Knicks game runs? Obviously not, because being able to attend a half dozen games a year with those seats is the equivalent of a very nice bonus.

I worked for years at a financial firm which offered season tickets to all the major sporting events and it was a significant boost in my career enjoyment. When the shit hit the fan with the financial crisis and these perks evaporated, guess what, morale went down for a lot of us. Likewise, at the end of my time there, the firm DID start buying the tickets again, but they were off-limits for all but the very top clients...even to the point that they went unused if a top client didn't want the tickets that night. Once again, this pissed everyone off who liked sports and we all bitched about it.

In sum, just because you think the fact that a firm offers season tickets, gym membership, on site babysitting, or whatever else is irrelevant, it doesn't make it so. Perhaps you should either offer helpful guidance in the future or STFU instead of belittling a legitimate OP question.


Perhaps you shouldn't be hurling insults behind the Anonymous shield?

NarwhalPunter
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby NarwhalPunter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm

.
Last edited by NarwhalPunter on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Wow. Well you are getting into the wrong industry if you are looking for perks. Firms don't hold Knicks season tickets and if any get Knicks tickets on a regular basis they are for client entertainment, not associates. If you want prime sports tickets, dining out, anything like that, you should be in finance.

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby EarlCat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Of all the professional sports available in and around New York, you're concerned about seeing the Knicks???

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:49 pm

EarlCat wrote:Of all the professional sports available in and around New York, you're concerned about seeing the Knicks???


I lol'd.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby bceagles182 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Really guys? This is so clearly a flame.

wildpreservation
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby wildpreservation » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Wholigan wrote:
hds2388 wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am considering my preferences for my bid list for OCI. I want to work in NYC.

Which law firms have boxes at MSG? How do I find this out? If they have a box, how liberal are they with giving Knicks tickets to junior associates?

I think it is a good indicator for me as to a firm's QoL and the firm culture. And I definitely want to go to Knicks games, and tickets are expensive


Wrong. You just want free tickets, in addition to your $160k salary and numerous other biglaw perks. How is it indicative of the firm's culture that they hand out box seats to random new associates, instead of to the clients that are paying $200/hr for your time so you can learn on the job? Also, what is the reason for this to be anonymous, other than to prevent you from being ridiculed for your sense of entitlement?


Nobody gets into biglaw for selfish reasons; this is why the salaries are humble and the attrition rates low. Its ok to want a firm that has nice things you want, provided you also are willing to do the substantive part of the job enthusiastically.


I agree with your premise, but I also think one of the best ways an otherwise qualified candidate can damage his/her chances at a job is by coming across as entitled. I realize OP probably isn't going to ask this on an interview, but if you feel entitled, it is going to come through one way or another.



Im the OP. You suck, Wholigan.

Im not bidding on firms because they have a box at MSG, and of course its not the best indicator of QoL, I was being a bit facetious. Its an indicator of something, though, namely that the firm is badass, esp if it gives tickets to Knicks games to junior associates.
I do not appreciate any of the bickering or opinions about this is what you should be making your bids based on, Knicks tickets are/are not important, or how big of a jerk I am for actually considering something like this (although obviously not as the primary concern, to all you idiots who would think that {through your own unfounded assumptions, which you later criticize others for making}). None of this was the purpose of the thread.

No need to post, unless someone comes along with info on how to check the MSG registry of box owners, or someone working for some badass firm wants to out the firms box seat holding status and junior associate ticket holding policy

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Im the OP. You suck, Wholigan.

Im not bidding on firms because they have a box at MSG, and of course its not the best indicator of QoL, I was being a bit facetious. Its an indicator of something, though, namely that the firm is badass, esp if it gives tickets to Knicks games to junior associates.
I do not appreciate any of the bickering or opinions about this is what you should be making your bids based on, Knicks tickets are/are not important, or how big of a jerk I am for actually considering something like this (although obviously not as the primary concern, to all you idiots who would think that {through your own unfounded assumptions, which you later criticize others for making}). None of this was the purpose of the thread.

No need to post, unless someone comes along with info on how to check the MSG registry of box owners, or someone working for some badass firm wants to out the firms box seat holding status and junior associate ticket holding policy


How about you stop abusing the anonymous feature to make ad hominem attacks?
Last edited by vamedic03 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 pm

I used to get free tickets at my old job. It just depends on who you work with and how much $$ you spend with the right people. It's not really an indication of "bad-ass-ness".

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19663
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Law firms and professional sports

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 pm

vamedic03 wrote:How about you stop abusing the anonymous feature to make ad hominem attacks?


Seems like a good idea to me.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.