OCI and Class Rank based on GPA (0.2 above mean/median)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI and Class Rank based on GPA (0.2 above mean/median)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:46 pm

For rising 2Ls, say you are at least 0.2 above your schools mean/median - e.g 2.9 on a 2.7, 3.2 on a 3.0, or 3.4 on a 3.2. Is it safe to say that you are at least in the top 40%, and maybe even close to 33%? As some schools have limited bids/caps on # of firms we can select, this would help identify some firms with their GPA/class rank cutoffs.

Thanks!

nymario

Re: OCI and Class Rank based on GPA (0.2 above mean/median)

Postby nymario » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm

I think it's reasonably safe to assume 40%. However, many schools are very strict about what you can "say" -- But I would severely doubt that .2 isn't good enough for top 40% anywhere, and at higher mean schools, probably 33% is a very safe bet too.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Ignore the rank/gpa requirement of firms that come at OCI. What you need to have to be competitive at certain firms factors in a lot of variables including the employer, the market, and other options.

For example, a lot of New Orleans firms are hyper selective because there aren't that many of them and anyone who wants to work at a large firm in the market has to go through them.

In contrast, in NYC, many firms more "prestigious" than some New Orleans firms are less selective because there are so many of them and so many spots for people that want to work in NYC.

In both examples, the firms could cite top 33%. In New Orleans, it's probably closer to 10%; in NYC, it's probably closer to actually being 20-33%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 pm

OP here, thanks for your responses, I appreciate it! Gives me confidence, not to mention sealocust's "Should I do OCI" - where the answer is Yes!

Any other thoughts?

Return to “Legal Employment”