Low T14 - T10% - What Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Low T14 - T10% - What Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Barely T10% at lower T14. Have ties in Boston/DC. Dont mind working in NY/Bos, but would prefer DC.

Working in fed. gov. this summer. No background in business/econ.

I enjoyed admin and have some desire to be involved in regulatory work; I would like to be on the litigation side of things, but I don't really envision myself as someone who would end up a strong oral advocate. Not sure if I can get more focused than that. I would like to stay away from work that would involve knowledge of highly complex financial transactions, but at the same time I would be happy working on stuff that involves less background knowledge of that subject.

There are just so many firms....

seriouslyinformative

Re: Low T14 - T10% - What Firms

Postby seriouslyinformative » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Covington.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 pm

I am curious what people think about top 20% v. top 10%

Is there a significant drop off as far as firms you can shoot for? It seems that 10% isn't a gigantic difference in class rank but I get the impression that there is a substantial difference as far as quality of firms. Anyone care to comment?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 pm

For DC firms, I think there's definitely a difference. For NYC firms, the two groups would probably largely target the same firms, with the top 10% guy being able to add in places like Wachtell, Cravath, and S&C.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 pm

(OP) I have looked at Covington. I think they are a slight reach, but they will be on my bid list.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(OP) I have looked at Covington. I think they are a slight reach, but they will be on my bid list.

In my opinion, their selectivity is overrated, and even if that's not true, I genuinely think you're in the range with top 10% (especially if you make law review).

Arnold & Porter is another great pick.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:40 pm

FYI, you don't need background knowledge to get into complex financial transactions. It can make a great talking point, but firms are largely hiring for ability to learn quickly and don't expect baseline knowledge.

Otherwise the advice in this thread seems spot on. Most DC practices are some sort of litigation / regulation / lobbying hybrid, so you'll likely find a lot of palatable options beyond Covington (though it certainly fits the bill).

Return to “Legal Employment”