Bid list for URM at T30 with below 3 GPA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bid list for URM at T30 with below 3 GPA

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks to one class my GPA is horrendous and below a three. Which NYC firms should I be emailing before OCI and if there is any hope at doing well at OCI which firms should I bid on? I have three previous government internships, extracurriculars in law school but not Law Review, and solid references if that matters.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Bid list for URM at T30 with below 3 GPA

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Guessing youre at Fordham, but even if you aren't below a 3.0 is far below median at every t30 I know of. You're screwed with regards to biglaw.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Guessing youre at Fordham, but even if you aren't below a 3.0 is far below median at every t30 I know of. You're screwed with regards to biglaw.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 pm

You need to worry about just getting a job, not bid lists. You will not come away with a biglaw job and its unlikely you'll pull an OCI job. URM status won't help at all in hiring. I would view the interview process in the fall as practice for post-graduation hiring. Think about how you can play up your strengths and tell employers what you offer. You can hit the ground running after you graduate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:34 pm

3.0 at a T10 school, does school rank make a difference at ALL at this point with that GPA with biglaw or am I essentially in the same position with OCI/Biglaw as OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 pm

MrAnon wrote:You need to worry about just getting a job, not bid lists.
I agree with reservations. OP does need to focus on getting a job. That said, you should not presume from this that you cannot find gainful employment. You are just going to have to be very smart about it.

This means NGOs that don't care about GPA. Also small and midsized firms that are unfamiliar with your grading system. Say you have a 2.9 GPA. At some TTT schools that is above median. plus, medians were lower when most boomers went to LS. so if you apply to firms that rarely hire an associate then they may not put much into your GPA (their lack of a relevant frame of reference is your advantage).

You may also consider applying to firms in smallish towns. Places where the biggest firm has 5-10 lawyers. These are places where new associates rarely show up. Dig through your past and find cities like this where you could imagine living and apply with a targeted cover letter about why city X is amazing.

all hope is not lost. but yeah BigLaw is out and you are going to have to work hard to be successful and not end up on JDU. your best option at this point might be working in the public interest because of loan forgiveness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.0 at a T10 school, does school rank make a difference at ALL at this point with that GPA with biglaw or am I essentially in the same position with OCI/Biglaw as OP
Pre-ITE, you might have had a shot at something if you were a good interviewer. ITE, you would be irretrievably fucked. However, everyone is talking about positive indicators for the legal field, so, if firms really think ITE is over, you may get something. Maybe not though; summer classes have permanently shrunk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:04 am

You might as well use all of your bids. I dunno if you have PI and gov going to OCI but hold a few bids back for those positions and then pick your top firms - preferably ones with big class sizes.

Can't hurt to take a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”