Thesealocust's Guide to Whether or Not You Should Do OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Thesealocust's Guide to Whether or Not You Should Do OCI

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Yes, you should.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Thesealocust's Guide to Whether or Not You Should Do OCI

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Somebody sticky this, pronto!

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm

worthless threads are worthless

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:23 am

I'm going to second this. It's a worthwhile experience even if you're fairly sure you want to do public interest, or some other non-biglaw job. At most schools, OCI =/= exclusively firms, and running the interviewing gauntlet helped me figure out exactly what I did want. I felt well prepared for that interview when it came.

denardisgod

Postby denardisgod » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 am

Last edited by denardisgod on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:42 am

gwuorbust wrote:worthless threads are worthless

you mad?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 am

denardisgod wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I'm going to second this. It's a worthwhile experience even if you're fairly sure you want to do public interest, or some other non-biglaw job. At most schools, OCI =/= exclusively firms, and running the interviewing gauntlet helped me figure out exactly what I did want. I felt well prepared for that interview when it came.

so worthless thread not worthless?

My point. I was far from the only person on the fence. A lot of PI minded people at my school skipped OCI, but the experience has value and I advise people considering it to do it. You can still take a public interest position, and may even find one during the latter weeks of OCI, depending on your school's schedule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 am

thesealocust wrote:Yes, you should.

Blargh. You would make this thread. There's got to be scenarios where it's not worth doing OCI.

OperaSoprano; what is the experience that it gives to people who only want to do PI? Sure, "interview" experience I suppose. But it seems like it would just be a timesink.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 am

thesealocust wrote:Yes, you should.

:lol:

Have you demanded your content competition award yet? :lol:

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:16 am

f7 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
denardisgod wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I'm going to second this. It's a worthwhile experience even if you're fairly sure you want to do public interest, or some other non-biglaw job. At most schools, OCI =/= exclusively firms, and running the interviewing gauntlet helped me figure out exactly what I did want. I felt well prepared for that interview when it came.

so worthless thread not worthless?

My point. I was far from the only person on the fence. A lot of PI minded people at my school skipped OCI, but the experience has value and I advise people considering it to do it. You can still take a public interest position, and may even find one during the latter weeks of OCI, depending on your school's schedule.

Except you're actually taking interview slots from people who don't want PI, so don't mindlessly do OCI for experience.

I was seriously thinking about a firm job at the time I did it. I don't think anyone should completely close off an avenue that might lead to a job-- few people are so well positioned that we know for sure what we're going to get, or even what we want. OCI gave me good interviewing experience and clarity, which is why I recommend it. I also bid on some non-firm employers who came to our latter weeks.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 am

f7 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I was seriously thinking about a firm job at the time I did it. I don't think anyone should completely close off an avenue that might lead to a job-- few people are so well positioned that we know for sure what we're going to get, or even what we want. OCI gave me good interviewing experience and clarity, which is why I recommend it. I also bid on some non-firm employers who came to our latter weeks.

I'm not talking about you in particular. If you're on the fence, by all means do OCI, but people shouldn't be using it as practice if they have no interest whatsoever in biglaw (this happens).

To be clear, I agree that people shouldn't take interview slots with firms (or other employers) if they know they'd never accept a job there. That's effectively stealing from one's classmates. I merely noted that a lot of my classmates were unsure, and participating either got them a firm job or gave them insight into why they wanted PI. My best advice is to be flexible and approach all legal hiring with an open mind.

Return to “Legal Employment”