Should I Even do OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I Even do OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm a rising 2L at a Top 6 law school and I'm just wondering if I should even bother with OCI. I'm going to contact my career services tomorrow, but I figured I'd let TLS take a look at my chances first. Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Princeton (T2 school)
GPA: 3.4
2 internships abroad. One at a non-profit, one for a United Nations Regional Center
On varsity sports team
Took 1 minor along with major
Proficient in Spanish reading, writing, and conversation
Wrote 2 theses

After Undergrad: 1yr Paralegal, small boutique firm
Worked on Federal Appellate Briefs
Communicated with clients
Wrote for law blog
Compiled case reports

Law School:
Under-represented Minority
On executive board of Minority Student Group
Senior Mediator with real life experience
Received Merit Scholarship for Academics (in undergrad) and overcoming adversity
Visibly Disabled, but not in a way that would affect my work
Female
Summer internship in state government with a lot of responsibility
Grades Semester 1: B,B,B+,P
Grades Semester 2: B,C,C,P

My school does not have C+'s or C-'s, just Cs. I was in the hospital (I have the records) 2 weeks before finals and was feeling incredibly ill for 6 weeks before that. I know that's not an excuse, it's an explanation. Academic Services is aware of my situation.

So is it even worth applying to OCI with 2 Cs on my record? Or should I just look for public interest/state or county government jobs? You're certainly entitled to express your opinion, but please keep it kind. I've been through enough already. :cry:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Re: Should I Even do OCI?

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:51 pm

I would highly encourage you to do both OCI AND look for other options. when you are doing OCI, don't necessarily bid for the very top biglaw firms..but maybe some of the middle of the pack firms. You are still at a T6. If they really want to pick up a graduate from your school then you might have a tiny hope. I would say do it and also plan on doing a resume carpet bomb in like Sep to any firms you didn't OCI with. you're still at a good school and if you talk up things like UN and current internship you have selling points beyond GPA. obv this is going to be an uphill battle, but you should do all you can. now is not the time to give up hope.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Princeton undergrad is not a Tier 2 school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:57 pm

OP Here:

I thought that T2 meant "top two"

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:24 pm

I'd say still do OCI. Just bid on the big NYC sweatshops. Even though your grades were bad you have a pretty impressive background.

Return to “Legal Employment”