Which firms require writing samples?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymousee

Which firms require writing samples?

Postby anonymousee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Does anyone know which firms generally do or do not require students to produce writing samples during callbacks, or where information on the role on writing samples in each firm's recruitment can be found? Most of the firm websites don't say.

Thanks!

Verity

Re: Which firms require writing samples?

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:23 pm

The stuffy ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Interested in this. Especially for the V10 in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Back when I did OCI in 2008, none of the firms I interviewed with asked for a writing sample, at least as far as I can recall. These firms included (all DC):

W&C, Covington, A&P, Hogan, Wilmer, Kirkland, Latham, Wiley, Mayer, Sidley, White & Case, McDermott, Skadden, Wilkie, MoFo, OMM, Ropes, and Venable.

anonymousee

Postby anonymousee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Back when I did OCI in 2008, none of the firms I interviewed with asked for a writing sample, at least as far as I can recall. These firms included (all DC):

W&C, Covington, A&P, Hogan, Wilmer, Kirkland, Latham, Wiley, Mayer, Sidley, White & Case, McDermott, Skadden, Wilkie, MoFo, OMM, Ropes, and Venable.

Thanks! Do theyfirms generally have a firm-wide policy on requesting such samples or is it up to the individual office? Are the NY offices likely to ask for them?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 pm

(1) I don't understand all the anonymous posting. This has gotten ridiculous - asking whether firms, in general, ask for writing samples is not a reasonable use of anonymous posting.

(2) Many of the top DC firms require writing samples. Others will ask for writing samples during callbacks. Many NYC firms don't ask for writing samples.

(3) Prior to OCI, you should have at least 1 cleaned up, well edited (self-edited) writing sample ready to go. That way, if anyone asks, you have it ready. Just be prepared, for all your interviews, to have available a resume, transcript and writing sample.

Return to “Legal Employment”