i hate dc in the summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ajmax8

i hate dc in the summer

Postby ajmax8 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 am

Must wear suit to work. Get off metro, sweated through shirt. Walk five blocks, sweated through pants. I hate this weather. End rant. And don't give me smarmy comments like, "you should change at work because there's a shower on your floor."

Aston2412

Re: i hate dc in the summer

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 am

It's awful isn't it?

I was in D.C. summer of 09 too and I gotta say, that was worse than this year.

Still, this weather sucks.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am

D.C. is a miserable effing swamp.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 am

It is horrifying. This city sucks.

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 am

DC in the Summer:

9-5 it sux for the aforementioned reasons, but afterhours it's pretty great. The weather cools down, the interns all go out, there are a lot of special events.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:39 am

Female Washingtonian here. I feel so bad for the men this time of year. At least I can stay relatively sweat-free if I wear a sleeveless blouse with my skirt and just put on my jacket when I get to the office. Guys have to wear a long sleeve shirt, probably an undershirt, socks, etc. I would want to die.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 am

Lizface killah wrote:DC in the Summer:

9-5 it sux for the aforementioned reasons, but afterhours it's pretty great. The weather cools down, the interns all go out, there are a lot of special events.

This is the other thing I hate about DC: all the young people who work in government/politics/advocacy. I know I'm painting with a wide brush, but god they're all so self-important and such starfuckers.

gingersnaps

Postby gingersnaps » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 am

these firms need to open up summer offices in rehoboth

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:47 am

TTH wrote:

This is the other thing I hate about DC: all the young people who work in government/politics/advocacy. I know I'm painting with a wide brush, but god they're all so self-important and such starfuckers.

Yeah, "the interns all go out" is not something I consider "pretty great" about DC.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:47 am

TTH wrote:D.C. is a miserable effing swamp.

it is a festering swampland. As my face was dripping sweat on the elevator up, I felt that the woman in there pitied me somewhat, which was kinda nice.

Also, that's a great word, starfucker. I'm relatively young myself, but there were some younger people than me on the metro, and they were talking loudly, and one said "the first thing you need to know when you go into politics is how to pronounce everyone's name!" The other laughed. I grimaced.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 am

ajmax8 wrote:

it is a festering swampland. As my face was dripping sweat on the elevator up, I felt that the woman in there pitied me somewhat, which was kinda nice.

Also, that's a great word, starfucker. I'm relatively young myself, but there were some younger people than me on the metro, and they were talking loudly, and one said "the first thing you need to know when you go into politics is how to pronounce everyone's name!" The other laughed. I grimaced.

What makes me rage is when I hear a 20-something who works on the hill, one of the parties, or an interest group, and they refer to members of Congress or administration officials by their first names like they're all chummy and shit.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:54 am

TTH wrote:
ajmax8 wrote:

What makes me rage is when I hear a 20-something who works on the hill, one of the parties, or an interest group, and they refer to members of Congress or administration officials by their first names like they're all chummy and shit.

"Oh me, I work on the Hill"[...as an unpaid, cog in a machine for 2 months. ]

A pretty lolzy blog about how dumb and self-important summer interns in DC are: http://dcinterns.blogspot.com/

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:01 am

Flips88 wrote:
TTH wrote:
ajmax8 wrote:

"Oh me, I work on the Hill"[...as an unpaid, cog in a machine for 2 months. ]

A pretty lolzy blog about how dumb and self-important summer interns in DC are: http://dcinterns.blogspot.com/

Junior staff are just as bad as interns, maybe worse because they feel vetted.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 am

Ironic thing about the undershirt: you have to wear it because if you don't then you run the risk of sweating through your other shirt to disgusting degree...unfortunately, wearing it ensures that you sweat far more profusely than if you hadn't.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 am

Aston2412 wrote:Ironic thing about the undershirt: you have to wear it because if you don't then you run the risk of sweating through your other shirt to disgusting degree...unfortunately, wearing it ensures that you sweat far more profusely than if you hadn't.

yes, very true. I've tried to find the optimal temperature at which to forgo the undershirt on numerous occasions, but I always fail. Luckily, I wear a white shirt when I try this, so it is not as noticeable.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:10 am

TTH wrote:

QFT.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 am

The worst was when I'd see kids wearing their intern badges out on the weekends. Who the fuck are you trying to impress?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 am

i hate dc

ftfm

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 am

Flips88 wrote:The worst was when I'd see kids wearing their intern badges out on the weekends. Who the fuck are you trying to impress?

When I was working at the [TLA] I accidentally left my badge on when I went out to happy hour. I was mortified.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 am

ajmax8 wrote:

lol, I did an unpaid internship at a state congress and on the first day I was handed pictures and names of about 20 state congressmen (senators and reps) who I should know.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 am

Kinda makes you wish the Founding Fathers had left the capital in Philadelphia doesn't it?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am

this thread is so credited

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am

Aston2412 wrote:Kinda makes you wish the Founding Fathers had left the capital in Philadelphia doesn't it?

Philadelphia still sucks

ebo

Postby ebo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 am

I'm always surprised at the number of people on TLS who want jobs in DC after law school. It is truly the cesspool of humanity.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:57 am

People want jobs there because, while it may be a cesspool that's where a lot of power and money is concentrated.

And really in D.C. they've done a great job of shoehorning the undesirables into specific parts of the city, i.e. NE, SE, SW..../sarcasmoff.

Return to “Legal Employment”