No Ties to Any Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Ties to Any Market

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:38 am

Top 1/3 MVP. Grew up in VA and TN, but never lived closer than 5 hrs from Atlanta or DC, I have some friends in those cities, but no family. I Lived in Utah for a while after Undergrad and have some cousins in Denver, but that is it. No ties whatsoever to New York, Chicago, California, or Texas.

I'm planning on targeting some Salt Lake City and Nashville firms outside of OCI, but how should I use my OCI bids. Should I bid on Denver, Atlanta, and DC because of the weak connections or should I bid on New York for the large class sizes? Or should I do something else? Where do I have the best chance?

Helmholtz

Re: No Ties to Any Market

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 MVP. Grew up in VA and TN, but never lived closer than 5 hrs from Atlanta or DC, I have some friends in those cities, but no family. I Lived in Utah for a while after Undergrad and have some cousins in Denver, but that is it. No ties whatsoever to New York, Chicago, California, or Texas.

I'm planning on targeting some Salt Lake City and Nashville firms outside of OCI, but how should I use my OCI bids. Should I bid on Denver, Atlanta, and DC because of the weak connections or should I bid on New York for the large class sizes? Or should I do something else? Where do I have the best chance?

Can't give insightful comments on the others, but your best chance is for NYC. Firms there don't care about ties (I'm usually not comfortable with blanket statements, but I think there's a lot of truth to that). I've heard that it can matter a lot for Chicago and California, and that firms expect you to articulate specific reasons for wanting to be there. Probably more so with Cali.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:49 am

If you can stand the idea of NYC, use most of your bids there. Especially if you are at UVA, you can put in a few bids on D.C. without feeling that it is a lost cause. If you have a strong desire to work in Denver, it may be worth a shot, but I would not use too many bids there.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 am

Is DC really strict on ties? I can't imagine they would be.

Why do you want to work in DC? - that's an easy question to answer.

"Because it's the seat of the national government and X, Y and Z go on here."

That said it's more competitive than NY and you also have the highest ratio of lawyer to population. D.C. has 276 lawyers per 10,000 residents. NY? It has 20...

dood

Postby dood » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 MVP. Grew up in VA and TN, but never lived closer than 5 hrs from Atlanta or DC, I have some friends in those cities, but no family. I Lived in Utah for a while after Undergrad and have some cousins in Denver, but that is it. No ties whatsoever to New York, Chicago, California, or Texas.

u actually have ties to VA, TN, Atanta, DC, Utah, Denver. and u dont need ties for NYC.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Is DC really strict on ties? I can't imagine they would be.

Why do you want to work in DC? - that's an easy question to answer.

"Because it's the seat of the national government and X, Y and Z go on here."

That said it's more competitive than NY and you also have the highest ratio of lawyer to population. D.C. has 276 lawyers per 10,000 residents. NY? It has 20...

DC is horrendously strict on ties.

Hilarious post from PK to illustrate

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155361#p4392774

Return to “Legal Employment”