Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you wear the watch?

Yes, this isn't a big deal
39%
Yes, if you truly feel most comfortable with it on
22%
No, you would come off like a douchebag
16%
No, it's not worth the risk
18%
50-50
4%

Total votes: 89

fatduck

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 pm

quakeroats wrote:
fatduck wrote:do you all seriously need to check the time that often? i could tell you what time it is within about 15 minutes any time, just from internal clock, and that's if i haven't seen the time in a while (on a billboard, bank sign, computer, whatever). you should only need to check your watch or cell phone occasionally, to recalibrate.

Bring back the corgi in a suit.

that's just a reddit ripoff. this one has more sentimental value, and involves a duck.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:00 pm

quakeroats wrote:
leobowski wrote:

Very juvenile viewpoint. Checking time on a cellphone is incredibly unprofessional/rude to those around you. Every man should wear a watch to work.

Have you ever worked in an office? I've been in meetings where everyone but the person talking was looking at a blackberry.

Uhh yes. Several times. Nice try at a callout though. Have you ever appeared in court? Screwing around on your cellphone isn't going to cut it there brah.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 pm

leobowski wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
leobowski wrote:

Very juvenile viewpoint. Checking time on a cellphone is incredibly unprofessional/rude to those around you. Every man should wear a watch to work.

Have you ever worked in an office? I've been in meetings where everyone but the person talking was looking at a blackberry.

Uhh yes. Several times. Nice try at a callout though. Have you ever appeared in court? Screwing around on your cellphone isn't going to cut it there brah.

I haven't been in a long time, but I suspect you can keep your cellphone on the table next to you. I doubt that anyone will notice clicking a button so the lock screen comes up with the time. Also, lawyers rarely go to court.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:14 pm

quakeroats wrote:
leobowski wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
leobowski wrote:

I haven't been in a long time, but I suspect you can keep your cellphone on the table next to you. I doubt that anyone will notice clicking a button so the lock screen comes up with the time. Also, lawyers rarely go to court.

Depends on the judge really. Some state court judges will tear your head off if your phone goes off. Some fed court judges are the same way, but somehow it's OK for the US marshals/clerks/POs to be on their blackberries nonstop. :lol:

As far as rarely going to court, that doesn't really hold true for criminal lawyers. I'm in court about 2-3 hours a day and I'm only a 3L intern at a PD's office. Most DAs/PDs spend about 1/4 of their time in court. A watch+ rigorous calendaring becomes more necessary when your schedule revolves around the docket.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:19 pm

leobowski wrote:
Depends on the judge really. Some state court judges will tear your head off if your phone goes off. Some fed court judges are the same way, but somehow it's OK for the US marshals/clerks/POs to be on their blackberries nonstop. :lol:

As far as rarely going to court, that doesn't really hold true for criminal lawyers. I'm in court about 2-3 hours a day and I'm only a 3L intern at a PD's office. Most DAs/PDs spend about 1/4 of their time in court. A watch+ rigorous calendaring becomes more necessary when your schedule revolves around the docket.

I don't think a public defender will have to worry about people thinking they're a douche for having a $15,000 watch.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:10 pm

leobowski wrote:

I've noticed this too, sort of annoying

also, around here they all show up in Hawaiin shirts.... ass hats

slacker

Postby slacker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:28 pm

How is quickly glancing at your cell phone more rude than quickly glancing at a watch on your wrist? The only way I see them as being rude is you break eye contact and make it aware that something else is on your mind and whatever you're currently doing might not be worth your time. Looking at a phone might take one second longer because you push a button but how is it less rude?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 pm

slacker wrote:How is quickly glancing at your cell phone more rude than quickly glancing at a watch on your wrist? The only way I see them as being rude is you break eye contact and make it aware that something else is on your mind and whatever you're currently doing might not be worth your time. Looking at a phone might take one second longer because you push a button but how is it less rude?

because if you look at your phone, most people will assume you're reading texts from a phone sex line, not checking the time

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

What's the difference between a $15,000 watch, a $150,000 car, and a $1,500,000 house?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:46 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:What's the difference between a $15,000 watch, a $150,000 car, and a $1,500,000 house?

factors of ten? is this a trick questions?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm

fatduck wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:What's the difference between a $15,000 watch, a $150,000 car, and a $1,500,000 house?

You forgot that only the car provides the functionality of all 3 (time keeping, transportation, shelter).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Nobody really needs any of them?

(the $1.5 million home isn't that bad especially if it's in LA, NYC, DC, or Chicago where real estate is ridiculous)

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:49 pm

bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

You forgot that only the car provides the functionality of all 3 (time keeping, transportation, shelter).

unless the house is a boat.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:52 pm

fatduck wrote:
bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

unless the house is a boat.

I want an NYC houseboat.

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:54 pm

fatduck wrote:

I originally had only 1M, but decided to continue the pattern.
Flips88 wrote:

Nobody really needs any of them?

(the $1.5 million home isn't that bad especially if it's in LA, NYC, DC, or Chicago where real estate is ridiculous)

If we're going with the nebulous "needs", you just opened up an entirely different can of worm.

And yes, I know some house cost that much that aren't "that" nice in some parts of the country.
bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Good point, although off base.

swinger

Postby swinger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:17 pm

the difference is that one is a watch, one is a car, one is a house. as such, there are tons of differences between them: size, shape, primary function, etc.

the similarities are that "no one needs any of them".

the pattern is that they are "factors of 10"

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Why do you own a $15,000 watch? I thought cell phones were all you needed to tell the time.

I'm starting to think the Freudian slip argument is valid.

I would have to say:

Wear it if you earned it
Ditch it if you were given it by your family/family money

I can pretty much guarantee you your interviewers will know the difference via your resume.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
drdolittle wrote:There's no excuse here for not giving details like the exact name/model and/or a pic, especially when posting anon. A horrible example of anon posting all around.

I'm assuming 0L since you were not able to deduce that stating the model would pretty much out me if one of the attorneys from the firm I am interviewing with ever came upon this thread. The likelihood of another attorney matching the information I had given would have the exact model watch that I was describing.

So, in short, there was an excuse for not giving details.

rad law wrote:I don't like APs so don't wear it.

Plus, I kind of gave it away in the description when I stated that the model was very distinctive and referenced the AP Roal Oak. At least some people were quick enough to come to that conclusion.

nealric wrote:I would have to say it's not a good idea. The chances of someone being off-put are higher than someone being positively disposed. I've never seen a partner wear a 15k watch at my firm. While I'm not a consummate watch expert, I can identify the very high-end brands as such.

I have seen many partners wearing such watches (and even some law professors) although I have a keen eye for such things. However, I already had the same inclination as you about the chances of someone being put-off tipping the scales away from wearing it.

FeelTheHeat wrote:#humblebrag

Not what I intended, but I found that somewhat amusing.

Anyways, the watch is an AP Royal Oak Offshore similar to the image below
--ImageRemoved--

Looks no better than your average $65 Fossil. Hope you kept the receipt.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:24 pm

you could buy a watch that is just as functional and good looking for $25 at Amazon.com

15000/25= 600

you could buy a decent, new car for $20k, and used, reliable car for about $10k
150000/10000= 15

you could by a medium sized house in outer parts of San Francisco for 1.5m... in San Diego for .750m ... in Nevada for .200m

1.5 m/ .2m = 7.5

the 15000 watch is clearly the most retarded buy

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:29 pm

leobowski wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I wore a watch during interviews that is about 3k. I wear it every day. Why would I change that? My two cents.

$3k is still too much for something that tells you the time imo.

Cellphones are for telling time. Watches should either add something to an outfit or not be worn.

Actually I happen to think yours is the juvenile viewpoint. Who cares what I'm looking at for 2 seconds to check the time. I would be willing to guess half the people who say it's rude to check your cell phone time in a meeting have never actually been in a meeting. The point is -- who cares whether or not you're looking at your watch or your cell phone for 2 seconds; you're still not listening.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Hmm, wonder what's in here.....Oh. Weird thread. Bye...

zozin

Postby zozin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Stupid poors hating on the OP cause he's got $15,000 to spend on a watch. As long as he can get $15,000-worth of satisfaction from having/wearing it, who the fuck cares.

As far as the OP's real question, if you thought about it and felt the need to ask the question, then yea, it's probably not a good idea to wear it.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 pm

nickwar wrote:Actually I happen to think yours is the juvenile viewpoint. Who cares what I'm looking at for 2 seconds to check the time. I would be willing to guess half the people who say it's rude to check your cell phone time in a meeting have never actually been in a meeting. The point is -- who cares whether or not you're looking at your watch or your cell phone for 2 seconds; you're still not listening.

You're dealing with people of previous generations in the legal profession. Checking a watch says nothing aside from keeping up with the time. Checking a cellphone says a lot. You ever see someone alone in a bar on their smartphone? They are shutting themself off from their surroundings because they feel insecure. Looking at a watch is nothing like that. You're checking the time and that alone, unless you sigh/mutter or something like that.

Regardless of whether it's commonplace to use a cellphone for the time, it's still rude. A lot of people these days curse a lot and send text messages instead of calling, e-mailing or heaven forbid sending snail mail. That doesn't mean it's somehow alright. A lot of kids are attached to their freakin iphone or w/e like it's their lifeblood. Someone said to me the other day they don't know how they lived without their iphone. Uhhh you got up in the morning, ate, worked and slept? It's ridiculous.

There is no shortage of studies self-entitled the newest generation is:
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2014/

These are the same mouth-breathers who infest this forum and think it's OK to check your cellphone in business situations. Your mindset, friend, is the juvenile one. Go eat a bowl of AIDS.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:06 pm

leobowski wrote:Image

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:20 pm

nickwar wrote:Actually I happen to think yours is the juvenile viewpoint. Who cares what I'm looking at for 2 seconds to check the time. I would be willing to guess half the people who say it's rude to check your cell phone time in a meeting have never actually been in a meeting. The point is -- who cares whether or not you're looking at your watch or your cell phone for 2 seconds; you're still not listening.

I've seen a judge rip into a lawyer for looking at a cell phone. I've also been in meetings where people who looked at their phone were ripped into. A phone looks worse than a watch because a watch is simply for checking the time. A phone could be anything from checking the time to playing a game.

Return to “Legal Employment”