Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you wear the watch?

Yes, this isn't a big deal
39%
Yes, if you truly feel most comfortable with it on
22%
No, you would come off like a douchebag
16%
No, it's not worth the risk
18%
50-50
4%

Total votes: 89

romothesavior

Re: Wearing an Expensive Watch During an Interview

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:My cellphone tells me the time and at a fraction of the cost.

+1. I've never understood why some people have such a thing for fancy watches. Why? What's the point?

Think of what 15k could buy you. That's like twice my rent and utilities for the year. Or a decent car. Yowzers. No matter how much money I had, I could never bring myself to buy something like that. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
dood wrote:this is what u should be wearing u bafoon
--ImageRemoved--

Definitely don't wear that to an interview.

A white rubber watch? Just no.

Leather or metal are really the only thing acceptable with wearing a suit.

If you have to wear a rubber band at least get one in black.

WOOOOOOOOOOSH

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:

+1. I've never understood why some people have such a thing for fancy watches. Why? What's the point?

some people perceive looking at a cell phone to be rude/distracting

I think it's generally an excuse for men to wear jewelry but that's the rationale

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

You need to practice your interwebz skillz.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Borhas wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

some people perceive looking at a cell phone to be rude/distracting

I think it's generally an excuse for men to wear jewelry but that's the rationale

+1. Looking at your cell in a meeting rubs some people way wrong.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Okay people, I wasn't saying to check your cell phone in a meeting. You know what I mean. You can buy a decent looking watch that will last you a long time without spending that kind of money. And I've gone most of my life without a watch and been just fine. Again, different strokes for different folks, but I can't really understand the point of spending thousands on something like that. And I'm far from stingy.

ifigotoschool

Postby ifigotoschool » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by ifigotoschool on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay people, I wasn't saying to check your cell phone in a meeting. You know what I mean. You can buy a decent looking watch that will last you a long time without spending that kind of money. And I've gone most of my life without a watch and been just fine. Again, different strokes for different folks, but I can't really understand the point of spending thousands on something like that. And I'm far from stingy.

I'm with ya. I'd rather spend $15k on food costs for 2.5 years. I'd probably think someone's inherently a douche for spending $15,000 on a watch.

UVAHoo2013

Postby UVAHoo2013 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 pm

dude that's an ugly watch

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Okay people, I wasn't saying to check your cell phone in a meeting. You know what I mean. You can buy a decent looking watch that will last you a long time without spending that kind of money. And I've gone most of my life without a watch and been just fine. Again, different strokes for different folks, but I can't really understand the point of spending thousands on something like that. And I'm far from stingy.

I'm with ya. I'd rather spend $15k on food costs for 2.5 years. I'd probably think someone's inherently a douche for spending $15,000 on a watch.

If I ever become so rich that $$ becomes equivalent to toilet paper, then I too will buy a $15,000 watch. I wouldn't wear it to an OCI interview though. The interviewer either won't notice (most likely) or won't give a damn (2nd most likely).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm

kaiser wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

If I ever become so rich that $$ becomes equivalent to toilet paper, then I too will buy a $15,000 watch. I wouldn't wear it to an OCI interview though. The interviewer either won't notice (most likely) or won't give a damn (2nd most likely).

You could do 1000 things more enjoyable than buy a nice watch with $15,000

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

You need to practice your interwebz skillz.

Sorry, sometimes my sensibilities are so offended that I forget about sarcasm. You know...like that it exists.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 pm

TTH wrote:I wear my great grandfather's war watch. I have nicer watches, but this one has been in the family for many years. When he got shot down in 'Nam, my dad hid it up his ass for four years so the prison guards wouldn't take it. When my dad died in the camps, his cellmate hid it up his ass for another ten years.

Which was kind of strange because he was only in the camps for another two years after my Dad died until he got sent home. :?

This story sounds familiar, either that's from a movie I can't remember, or you shared this story elsewhere.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

You could do 1000 things more enjoyable than buy a nice watch with $15,000

I know. I was kidding. I would never in a million years spend that much on a watch. I spend very little on myself. Sure, I treat myself here and there, but it would never be so exorbitant or unnecessary.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyways, the watch is an AP Royal Oak Offshore similar to the image below
--ImageRemoved--

If your watch has a metal band, you're doing it wrong. Watches are little more than clothing accessories these days, anyway. If you're going to wear one, at least make sure it's moderately interesting:

Image Image

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:00 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyways, the watch is an AP Royal Oak Offshore similar to the image below
--ImageRemoved--

If your watch has a metal band, you're doing it wrong. Watches are little more than clothing accessories these days, anyway. If you're going to wear one, at least make sure it's moderately interesting:

Image Image

Is this more of that thur sarcasm y'alls was talkin' bouts?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 pm

You shouldn't wear that watch because it is an ugly monstrosity. Who wants to hire someone without any fashion sense?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:06 pm

oh for sure, it's abject retardation

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 pm

snap. I thought the watch I just bought for a G was expensive. I love nice things, and I love watches, but I will never pay that kind of $$ for an accessory.

My advice to you OP is that it doesnt matter what watch you wear - the interviewer wont care unless you bring up in convo how expensive you watch was. Then you would just be a douchenizzle.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Wear it to the interview. But don't wear it to your debtor's exam.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 pm

That watch is ugly as shit anyway. What makes it worth $15k? Admittedly, I don't know jack about watches, but it looks no more expensive than a $100 Fossil I had when I was 15

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Paraflam wrote:That watch is ugly as shit anyway. What makes it worth $15k?

the 10,000% markup

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:27 pm

People spending $15K on a watch generally have a different view of money than broke-ass law students.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:29 pm

kalvano wrote:

People spending $15K on a watch generally have a different view of money than broke-ass law students.

people who wear $15k watches are still perceived as douches among the wealthy.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm

fatduck wrote:
kalvano wrote:

people who wear $15k watches are still perceived as douches among the wealthy.

Maybe his dad is a pawn star.

Return to “Legal Employment”