Informational Interviews..Do's, Don'ts, Random Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
underwhere759

Informational Interviews..Do's, Don'ts, Random Advice

Postby underwhere759 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

As a soon-to-be 3L at a T20 school without a permanent job for post-graduation, I am finding myself reaching out to try and find people who will meet with me for informational interviews. I know there are a couple random threads on this, but I was thinking that it might really be interesting to hear some advice, success stories, good questions to ask, and how best to prepare from people who have done these.

Personally, what I am doing is reaching out to alumni from my undergrad and law school. I have had a fairly good success rate at hearing back from them and have had two meetings so far, with a bunch more set up in the future in both Chicago and DC.

I was really surprised at how many more responses I got from people who had attended my undergrad rather than my law school.

I have a big trip setup for next month and am hoping to get any advice that people may offer as far as good ways to prepare besides just reading the attorney bio online, questions that you might ask (especially since my purpose is to learn about their careers and the local market, not just to get a job)
Last edited by underwhere759 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aston2412

Re: Informational Interviews..Do's, Don'ts, Random Advice

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Sorry, just to clarify when you say you reached out to people from your UG, you mean people who went to law school where you did your UG right?

underwhere759

Postby underwhere759 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Correct. I reached out to lawyers practicing in areas I am interested in, who went to my UG.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Interesting. Hadn't considered that.

Return to “Legal Employment”