Grades in, 3.0 DNCG, NYC Biglaw even possible? Or Midlaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades in, 3.0 DNCG, NYC Biglaw even possible? Or Midlaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Is there ANY way to get NYC Biglaw paying at or market or at least 1**000+? I've been on the forums long enough to see the spiels on networking/mass mailing/getting apps out early/targeted mailing etc, my question is, even with that, + OCI etc, is there ANY chance at NYC or am I irredeemably fucked

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Grades in, 3.0 DNCG, NYC Biglaw even possible? Or Midlaw?

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there ANY way to get NYC Biglaw paying at or market or at least 1**000+? I've been on the forums long enough to see the spiels on networking/mass mailing/getting apps out early/targeted mailing etc, my question is, even with that, + OCI etc, is there ANY chance at NYC or am I irredeemably fucked

Where does 3.0 fall in class rank?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 pm

That's bottom of the barrel. Count BIGLAW out. (Why does everyone with below median grades think they will score biglaw these days??) There is no NYC midlaw for 1st years but if there were, they would probably take a median Fordham student before bottom of the class from your tier.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 pm

edit: duh

is 3.0 really bottom of the class at DNCG? I would think it's just below median but at least above bottom 25%..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 pm

MrAnon wrote:That's bottom of the barrel. Count BIGLAW out. (Why does everyone with below median grades think they will score biglaw these days??) There is no NYC midlaw for 1st years but if there were, they would probably take a median Fordham student before bottom of the class from your tier.

Not the OP. To be fair, I don't think any of us below medians "think we will score big law." But like the majority of people on these forums, that's what we wanted to do when we went into law school and took on exorbitant amounts of debt, sure that we would be in the blessed 30% at the top of our class who are competitive up and down most of the V100. Now do we give up simply because our grades sucked and didn't match our expectations (and in many cases our effort)? No, not yet. We do everything in our power to maximize a chance at simply getting an interview at one of those firms we previously thought we were destined to be at and we fight like crazy to get as many interviews as possible. We're not looking for people to tell us that it will be easy, or even necessarily that it will be possible. We're looking for advice on how to maximize our chances - however minimal they may be.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Sure, his odds aren't great, but they arent zero. I'm at GULC and we have plenty of firms doing OCI with median hiring GPAs in the 3.0-3.2 range. He would have a shot at all those. Bid smart. Pick firms with low requirements and big SA classes. Avoid the really popular firms, because you need as many bids as possible to turn into interviews. Also, consider secondary markets. Better to have an offer in a secondary market than none at all.

Return to “Legal Employment”