Penn OCI -- Is splitting between NYC and LA murder?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Penn OCI -- Is splitting between NYC and LA murder?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 pm

I am trying to put together a bidding strategy and I don't if it would be a good idea to bid on both LA and NYC firms. I would prefer to be in LA but I also have NYC ties and it's a stronger market. All help is greatly appreciated!!

Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI -- Is splitting between NYC and LA murder?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Check the 3.9 MVP thread. Basically, the answer is: how awesome are you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 pm

top 25%

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:21 am

Just curious, how do you know you're top 25%? Rough estimation, or did CPP crack?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:21 am

Lermontov wrote:Just curious, how do you know you're top 25%? Rough estimation, or did CPP crack?

+1 -- what gpa is top 25%?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:top 25%

NYC is the easiest major market and LA isn't nearly as difficult as DC, Chicago, or SF. Why would you think this is "murder?"

I bid the same markets with similar grades from MVP and rocked it.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am trying to put together a bidding strategy and I don't if it would be a good idea to bid on both LA and NYC firms. I would prefer to be in LA but I also have NYC ties and it's a stronger market. All help is greatly appreciated!!

I am in a similar situation.. assuming your grade estimate is around the same as mine, I would be more focused on the specific firms and your chances with them, not treating the markets as homogenous targets.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:36 am

No one *really* knows what the top 25% is, if you have a 3.5+ you're in good shape for OCI and shouldn't worry too much about grades being a hindrance.

As far as splitting bids, I split my focus between LA and DC with a few NYC IP firms thrown in for good measure. I got callbacks to all three markets and took the job in DC. I recommend doing the regional LA interviews if you're interested in LA, especially if you don't have much connection to the city (I had no connection to LA or NYC and limited connection to CA but I did have ties to DC). It shows that you're committed and you can mention it to interviewers during OCI. You may also get a callback before OCI starts which is a nice little confidence boost :)

There aren't enough LA firms at OCI to take up all of your bids anyway (at least my year) so you'd have to bid elsewhere too. NYC is a good choice for a backup market because its probably the easiest to get into.

Good luck!

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 am

Georgiana wrote:There aren't enough LA firms at OCI to take up all of your bids anyway (at least my year) so you'd have to bid elsewhere too.

+1
This really bothered me...

Georgiana wrote:No one *really* knows what the top 25% is, if you have a 3.5+ you're in good shape for OCI and shouldn't worry too much about grades being a hindrance.

And are you suggesting that 3.5 would be top 25% in your humble estimate?
;-)

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Lermontov wrote:
Georgiana wrote:No one *really* knows what the top 25% is, if you have a 3.5+ you're in good shape for OCI and shouldn't worry too much about grades being a hindrance.

And are you suggesting that 3.5 would be top 25% in your humble estimate?
;-)

I'd say its safe to assume you're top third... assuming you're lower is safer than assuming you're higher :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks so much for the help! I'd been in a nervous state for a few days now and I feel slightly more at ease.

Return to “Legal Employment”