Problem at work.....

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Problem at work.....

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 pm

I am at a southern midlaw firm. Summer Associate.
I had a senior associate read over my work to make sure it was good. The senior associate said it was really good. The assigning associate also said the work was "good." However, the junior partner who was in charge of the SA program basically told me that my work product needed work and that I needed to make xyz structural changes. Is this normal?

I feel like I am going to get no offered because of this. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Anonymous User

Re: Problem at work.....

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 pm

You'll get criticism. Different people have different expectations. It's tough to try to serve them all, but that's what you've got to do. Figure out what the partner is getting at, and do it next time. He probably is making a substantive, good point about your work--run with it and try to improve. That's all you can do anyhow.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You'll get criticism. Different people have different expectations. It's tough to try to serve them all, but that's what you've got to do. Figure out what the partner is getting at, and do it next time. He probably is making a substantive, good point about your work--run with it and try to improve. That's all you can do anyhow.

hmm... has anyone had a partner and associate on the same case that told you to do different things for your assignment?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Lol - at first I missed the distinction between associate and partner and I was like, "If your senior associate is telling you it's good, why the fuck do you care what the junior associate said?"

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 pm

you should be very, very worried. Most summer associates walk in from their basic LRW class and just start churning out perfect memos, briefs, case notes, etc. Their work never needs improvement. Infact, from what I hear most partners just fly around on G6s and then hit the models and bottles. associates usually just read over the work produced by summer associates, rubber stamp it, and then hop onto the learjet (G6s are reserved for the partners FYI). If you are not producing work that is suitable for for the USSC on the first draft, you will probably be no offered.

hth.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:18 am

Constructive feedback =/= no offer. Fix it, move on.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am at a southern midlaw firm. Summer Associate.
I had a senior associate read over my work to make sure it was good. The senior associate said it was really good. The assigning associate also said the work was "good." However, the junior partner who was in charge of the SA program basically told me that my work product needed work and that I needed to make xyz structural changes. Is this normal?

I feel like I am going to get no offered because of this. Has anyone had this happen to them?

you're fine bro. just make the changes. You can't be expected (especially on structural stuff) to mesh right away. I think many lawyers at my firm are shitty writers and I have to acquiesce to changing "because" to "due to the fact that" and "after" to "subsequent." They also delete my serial commas, use too many commas in general (but NOT THE FUCKING SERIAL COMMA), and have no idea which is the correct dash to use. It's enough to drive a sane person mad.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 am

The serial comma is for losers and the only dash is the em dash. The en dash is a pale imitation of the greatness that is em.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 am

Aston2412 wrote:The serial comma is for losers and the only dash is the em dash. The en dash is a pale imitation of the greatness that is em.

lack of serial comma can introduce ambiguity for no fucking reason. Just the type of shit I want in legal writing.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:33 am

agree with you on the em, though. It's the big swinging dick of the dash/hyphen family.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:45 am

The serial comma can also create ambiguity.

I was having dinner with Prince Ferdinand, an Indian boddhisatva, and a fourteen year-old teen idol.

See there? Am I having dinner with three people or am I merely having dinner with two and wanted you to know that Prince Ferdinand is an Indian boddhisatva?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 am

Aston2412 wrote:The serial comma can also create ambiguity.

I was having dinner with Prince Ferdinand, an Indian boddhisatva, and a fourteen year-old teen idol.

See there? Am I having dinner with three people or am I merely having dinner with two and wanted you to know that Prince Ferdinand is an Indian boddhisatva?

You'd use the em dash there, you know, like a real writer would if it was two people. Use of the comma is just silly. But that's journalistic style writing. In legal writing, that's just a failure of poor sentence structure. In legal writing, especial transaction work, the comma is hella important.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:52 am

I was having dinner with Prince Ferdinand and an Indian boddhisatva--a fourteen year-old teen idol.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I was having dinner with Prince Ferdinand and an Indian boddhisatva--a fourteen year-old teen idol.

hi-five.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:06 am

PKSebben wrote:

You'd use the em dash there, you know, like a real writer would if it was two people. Use of the comma is just silly. But that's journalistic style writing. In legal writing, that's just a failure of poor sentence structure. In legal writing, especial transaction work, the comma is hella important.

Since there's so much dash talk ITT, you guys may wanna check out this recent Slate article. http://www.slate.com/id/2295413/

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 am

goodolgil wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Since there's so much dash talk ITT, you guys may wanna check out this recent Slate article. http://www.slate.com/id/2295413/

The day I take my grammar advice from slate is that day I throw myself off a fucking building. It's like taking cooking lessons from the dude making volcano tacos at taco bell.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:43 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I was having dinner with Prince Ferdinand and an Indian boddhisatva--a fourteen year-old teen idol.

You misunderstand. The appositive phrase is "an Indian boddhisatva" not "a fourteen year-old teen idol."

You're proposed revision would have to look like this:

"I was having dinner with Prince Ferdinand -- an Indian boddhisatva -- and a fourteen year-old teen idol."

That just doesn't work for me.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:26 am

love it

Return to “Legal Employment”