mass mailing question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

mass mailing question

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone have any example of that mass mailing they used in the past that has resulted in some interviews? I know there are a lot of variables at play but I would like to see some samples. My email is lawschool123@yahoo.com.

My second question is about the actual form of sending this information. Wouldn't email to the recruiting office be more efficient and preferred by firms over receiving envelopes via snail mail?

Please help me with these mass mailings :|
Last edited by anonymcoffee on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

LurkerNoMore

Re: mass mailing sample/question

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:My second question is about the actual form of sending this information. Wouldn't email to the recruiting office be more efficient and preferred by firms over receiving envelopes via snail mail?

Many firms list on their web sites what form they prefer. Go by that.

Sup Kid

Re: mass mailing sample/question

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:27 am

anonymcoffee wrote:Does anyone have any example of that mass mailing they used in the past that has resulted in some interviews? I know there are a lot of variables at play but I would like to see some samples. My email is lawschool123@yahoo.com.

My second question is about the actual form of sending this information. Wouldn't email to the recruiting office be more efficient and preferred by firms over receiving envelopes via snail mail?

Please help me with these mass mailings :|

You got a sample one here... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=156659

Regardless, most employers don't even read the cover letter and skip right to the grades/resume. Don't worry too much about them. Also, yes, email is fine for 95% of the firms (assume email is ok unless they specifically state otherwise or don't provide a recruiting email address).

anonymcoffee

Re: mass mailing question

Postby anonymcoffee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:15 am

how many firms is enough to qualify as mass mailing - is this just like a hundred resume drops...? Are you guys just changing the law firm name in the cover letter or actually including a sentence or two relevant to the firm?

Sorry, i'm so confused about this whole mass mailing - it seems like a different process from various posts I'm reading. At GW we have a resume drop, should I be using that rather than mass mail? the resume drop seems like such a black hole

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:23 am

anonymcoffee wrote:how many firms is enough to qualify as mass mailing - is this just like a hundred resume drops...? Are you guys just changing the law firm name in the cover letter or actually including a sentence or two relevant to the firm?

Sorry, i'm so confused about this whole mass mailing - it seems like a different process from various posts I'm reading. At GW we have a resume drop, should I be using that rather than mass mail? the resume drop seems like such a black hole

I couldn't send out a cover letter without at least a small bit of tailoring. I need to put in at least one fact that clearly isn't just a cut-and-paste thing. Sure, they may just go straight to resume, but the enthusiasm and research you show can certainly make a difference. A blanket resume bombing might be quick and easy, but taking some more time and doing some tailoring will likely increase your chances. I've been sending them out one by one all weekend so that they are just waiting in the inbox on Monday morning.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 am

anonymcoffee wrote:how many firms is enough to qualify as mass mailing - is this just like a hundred resume drops...? Are you guys just changing the law firm name in the cover letter or actually including a sentence or two relevant to the firm?

Whatever a "resume drop is" don't expect much form it. Mass mailing is just a term, my mass mail last year was for 5 firms. There's no "minimum" but if you want to be employed I would air on the side of "a lot of firms" rather than "less than a lot of firms." A cover letter customized to each firm would be ideal, but since nobody has time for that, just do what you can.

Basically if there's a summer associate job you want, have a chance at getting, and didn't apply for, then you wind up unemployed, I will laugh at you from my gloomy mountain. So, go avoid that. Because nobody likes thesealocust laughing at them from his gloomy mountain.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:34 am

thanks for the advice! it sounds too mean to just give the generic cover letter

haha @sealocust yeah resume drop is definitely drop and forget

A question about attaching the transcript, I have a 3.14 gpa listed on my resume...should I include my transcript? The transcript has an A- in each semester and bunch of Bs/B+s, B+s for legal writing, but a C.....in the second semester (I can't even type it, it's so embarrassing). Should I be attaching my transcript or just resume and cover letter? I did a search and ppl recommended not to include a writing sample.

Also, should I send it to the recruiting person or to an alum (that I've never interacted w/)?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:37 am

anonymcoffee wrote:should I include my transcript?

Always. Always send transcript, resume, and cover letter. There are some strategies where alternatives are suggested, but looking for a 2L summer position there's no way around it.

anonymcoffee wrote:Also, should I send it to the recruiting person or to an alum (that I've never interacted w/)?

Always to the recruiting person.
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 am

thanks again for the advice! and for helping through my 1 am freakout mode when reading all of TLS has mass mailed :D

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 am

anonymcoffee wrote:thanks again for the advice! and for helping through my 1 am freakout mode when reading all of TLS has mass mailed :D

I live to serve.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:54 am

I actually didnt send my transcript with my mass mail. I figure my resume might be strong enough to get an interivew without it, and if they like my resume and writing sample, theyll ask for my transcript. I asked my OCS about this also, and they thought it was a pretty decent idea. Who knows if it will work, but i will be following up every few days, and i figure eventually theyll ask for one, but hopefully not

Edit: My gpa sucks from a top 10 school and a great undergrad, so im trying to get by on my resume and schooling

polycom01

Postby polycom01 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Always. Always send transcript, resume, and cover letter. There are some strategies where alternatives are suggested, but looking for a 2L summer position there's no way around it.

anonymcoffee wrote:Also, should I send it to the recruiting person or to an alum (that I've never interacted w/)?

I am perplexed by this. If my resume shows my GPA and rank, why are the firms that concerned with a transcript? If I'm in the top 5% of the class, does the employer really care whether I got an A in contracts and an A- in civ pro?

It seems like solid advice to include it, and I probably will, but it just seems that the firms will be mostly concerned with GPA/Rank and less interested in how the grades were distributed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 pm

polycom01 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I am perplexed by this. If my resume shows my GPA and rank, why are the firms that concerned with a transcript? If I'm in the top 5% of the class, does the employer really care whether I got an A in contracts and an A- in civ pro?

It seems like solid advice to include it, and I probably will, but it just seems that the firms will be mostly concerned with GPA/Rank and less interested in how the grades were distributed.

I sort of agree with the question - if you are all A's and A-'s, not sure that it means much. I imagine in that case it doesn't mean much, but could maybe mean something if say you have 3 A+'s which offset a B in legal writing.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:00 pm

They don't care how they're distributed, but you will never be hired without them seeing your transcript, because we do not live in a world of trust. To that end, it's less obnoxious for them to get it at first contact than to be in a position of having to request it later on. I'm not saying you need to include your transcript because it contains particular information necessary to their evaluation of your candidacy beyond the information you might self report, I'm saying that you'll have to give them a transcript at some point so why not now.

It's a bit different after graduation or for lateral moves, when I think leaving the transcript out might be a wiser choice. But for second year summer programs I am of the opinion it's a defacto requirement. Your first year grades are going to be important, there's not any way around it. If you have a truly exceptional situation, like the above poster mentioned, it's fine to try an alternative strategy. But I know for a fact that resume + transcript + cover letter is the standard, and I know for a fact at least the recruiters at my firm would roll their eyes at an application that lacked a transcript. It's part of the package (I stress, for 2L summer recruiting. Different ballgame for post-graduation jobs and the like).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:05 pm

I agree with what you said sealocust, and i am the poster that goes to the top 10 school. It is a part of the package to send a transcript. Only reason I did it was because ocs said it was a decent Idea to try, even though now I am sort of regretting it. I feel that firms will be confused as to why I didn't send my grades and when they get them, theyll be like, "ohhh thats why....reject." I had a friend in college with a miserable gpa that got a job as a trader with a top ibank without sending a transcript, so i kind of thought that could work for me. we'll see i guess, but from here on out im mass mailing with a transcript.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:12 pm

So is it acceptable to mass mail firms that are coming to OCI if the system is all lottery? For example, my school has hundreds of firms coming but I can only bid on 50. So would it be acceptable to just mass mail the 50 or so others? And if they ask why im mailing them, just say the lottery pick didn't work out?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is it acceptable to mass mail firms that are coming to OCI if the system is all lottery?

No.

polycom01

Postby polycom01 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:They don't care how they're distributed, but you will never be hired without them seeing your transcript, because we do not live in a world of trust. To that end, it's less obnoxious for them to get it at first contact than to be in a position of having to request it later on. I'm not saying you need to include your transcript because it contains particular information necessary to their evaluation of your candidacy beyond the information you might self report, I'm saying that you'll have to give them a transcript at some point so why not now.

It's a bit different after graduation or for lateral moves, when I think leaving the transcript out might be a wiser choice. But for second year summer programs I am of the opinion it's a defacto requirement. Your first year grades are going to be important, there's not any way around it. If you have a truly exceptional situation, like the above poster mentioned, it's fine to try an alternative strategy. But I know for a fact that resume + transcript + cover letter is the standard, and I know for a fact at least the recruiters at my firm would roll their eyes at an application that lacked a transcript. It's part of the package (I stress, for 2L summer recruiting. Different ballgame for post-graduation jobs and the like).

Can it say "UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT" on it? Or do I need to request an official transcript and then scan it into a .pdf?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 pm

polycom01 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:They don't care how they're distributed, but you will never be hired without them seeing your transcript, because we do not live in a world of trust. To that end, it's less obnoxious for them to get it at first contact than to be in a position of having to request it later on. I'm not saying you need to include your transcript because it contains particular information necessary to their evaluation of your candidacy beyond the information you might self report, I'm saying that you'll have to give them a transcript at some point so why not now.

Can it say "UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT" on it? Or do I need to request an official transcript and then scan it into a .pdf?

Unofficial transcripts are fine.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:03 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Unofficial transcripts are fine.

Yep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So is it acceptable to mass mail firms that are coming to OCI if the system is all lottery?

No.

But what about the 50 or so firms im not bidding on? Im still very interested in a number of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

No.

But what about the 50 or so firms im not bidding on? Im still very interested in a number of them.

Doesn't matter. By not bidding them you're sending them a clear message that your "interest" in their firm doesn't even put them in your top 30-50 (however many bids you get). And yeah, it kinda sucks.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

No.

Doesn't matter. By not bidding them you're sending them a clear message that your "interest" in their firm doesn't even put them in your top 30-50 (however many bids you get). And yeah, it kinda sucks.

Yep. Going to a school with lottery OCI has costs and benefits to firms and students. As a benefit you are guaranteed a good number of face to face interviews, as a cost you limit your total number of applications. I would bet all the money I have or will have that this is a net benefit for people with less than perfect credentials, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 am

What if you go to a school that is part lottery and part preselect (more preselect)? Basically, I'd like to mass mail a bunch of firms prior to the date at which some of them will be coming to my OCI because I will be in that area at the time for another job fair.

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 pm

tagged

Return to “Legal Employment”