top 25% at UNC rising 2L -- prospects of paid 2L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

top 25% at UNC rising 2L -- prospects of paid 2L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I have around a 3.6 and figured out top 25% by using the class rank predictor. My goal is to get a paid gig in North Carolina for my 2L summer. Any chance at getting anything through OCI, even with a North Carolina firm? Any other advice?

Journal selections have not been made, but most likely I'll be on a secondary journal.

Thanks for the input!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Re: top 25% at UNC rising 2L

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 pm

3.6 is only top quarter at Carolina?

Anonymous User

Re: top 25% at UNC rising 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 pm

yeah, 3.48 is top 33% and 3.80 is top 10%

Anonymous User

Re: top 25% at UNC rising 2L -- prospects of paid 2L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Similar nautical vessels w/r/t class rank and school rank, but in the midwest versus the southeast (but with ties to SE). Any thoughts as to either regions appreciated.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 am

I'm in about the exact same spot at UNC, so here is a shameless bump.

We have somewhere around 60-70 firms coming to OCI this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:48 am

What do you guys think about the ridiculous curve at UNC?

I haven't gone through the whole firm list yet, but it seems like a fair number of firms have top 1/3 cut-offs. From my limited 1L interviewing experience, most firms put a high priority on ties to the area. According to career services, it's still an uphill battle for people within the top 1/3.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:59 am

What is the low-down on the NC firms? I am sitting a little better than top third but would like some thoughts on--

Robinson Bradshaw
Parker Poe
Moore & Van Allen
Wyrick
K & L Gates

Any I am obviously missing? I want either Raleigh or Charlotte doesn't matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the low-down on the NC firms? I am sitting a little better than top third but would like some thoughts on--

Robinson Bradshaw
Parker Poe
Moore & Van Allen
Wyrick
K & L Gates

unless nc firms treat wake students differently, you will have a very hard time getting any of those firms. I'm inside top 25% and a minority at wake and those are my reaches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the low-down on the NC firms? I am sitting a little better than top third but would like some thoughts on--

Robinson Bradshaw
Parker Poe
Moore & Van Allen
Wyrick
K & L Gates

unless nc firms treat wake students differently, you will have a very hard time getting any of those firms. I'm inside top 25% and a minority at wake and those are my reaches.

This is spot on. Didn't UNC place something like 12% into NLJ250 for the class of 2010? I know things are different now, maybe marginally better, but still...you've got a tought fight on your hands if these are your targets.

I'd canvas the shit out of every NC firm you can find on martindale that has between a dozen and fifty lawyers.

Edit: Not to be mean, but I'd completely forget about K&L Gates, and MVA, Parker Poe, and Robsinson Bradshaw are almost certainly out of reach also. You might have a hail mary shot at Wyrick and places like Hedrick Gardner (if you're big into employment law). Best of luck.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Robinson Bradshaw
Parker Poe
Moore & Van Allen
Wyrick
K & L Gates

What is considered the usual power rankings of the NC firms? If there was a Vault ranking for NC?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Robinson Bradshaw
Parker Poe
Moore & Van Allen
Wyrick
K & L Gates

What is considered the usual power rankings of the NC firms? If there was a Vault ranking for NC?

Chambers & Partners will give you a good idea for what firms are strongest in certain practice areas. That's the best place to start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 pm

you can throw smith anderson and brooks pierce among the elite, but again, top 1/3 isnt likely to cut it. My guess top 15% and a journal or top 20% and LR are needed just to get an interview. To get a feel of what type of people from your school NC firms hire, check out a firm's attorney page to see the credentials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Looks like NC biglaw is a tough cookie to crack, even from Duke and Virginia (although I am not sure if this is because most Duke and Virginia people don't want to end up there).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 am

Am shocked none of the above posters/OP has asked/told this: What kind of practice are you interested in? Can you probably get this 2L summer gig? Maybe. But to have a better idea of firms to target, this would be helpful.

Also, I wouldn't completely run an "OCI or bust" mentality, especially ITE. There are a bunch of other (recent) threads for non-OCI strategies.

Return to “Legal Employment”