Double Dip Recession Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: Double Dip Recession

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:39 pm

My dream is hyperinflation starting in Jan 2013.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm

law firms themselves are predicting increased hiring.
My sides just split from laughter. They were predicting increased hiring days before Lehman collapsed. Like my other post indicated, they are mostly reactionary. As long as you see people on here optimistic about employment and the economy, so too will law firms be optimistic. If you want to gauge how their business and clients (the law firm revenue source) is doing, look to financial firms, who are now laying off people.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:My dream is hyperinflation starting in Jan 2013.
Professor D.Wilde is clearly commenting on the vagaries of the law degree market. The inherent price volatility matched with a lack of fungibility/liquidity creates a risk that makes a law degree strictly speculative.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Law firms have started accounting for the recession. Some offices in my target city are only taking 1 or 2 summer associates at big firms. They've maintained that for the last two years, and are still being cautious next year.

Getting an offer is obviously still f'ing hard for certain firms / places. But I think we can feel more safe with our offers than OCI 2009'ers. Firms aren't suddenly reverting back to hiring 20 associates @ 3077/wk (although DPW has like 90 this summer).

I would imagine if anything, they revert back to the slightly lower salary scale in some cities and start at 145k rather than no-offering people.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Kronk wrote:I would imagine if anything, they revert back to the slightly lower salary scale in some cities and start at 145k rather than no-offering people.
I agreed with you up to here. I haven't seen anything to suggest this will happen. If I'm wrong. please point me to an article or something, but I don't think it'll happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Realistically firms could probably handle another recession because of their rather small hiring for 2011, 2012.

But firms aren't rational and would probably no offer pwn us anyway.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Kronk wrote:I would imagine if anything, they revert back to the slightly lower salary scale in some cities and start at 145k rather than no-offering people.
I agreed with you up to here. I haven't seen anything to suggest this will happen. If I'm wrong. please point me to an article or something, but I don't think it'll happen.
I don't think they'll do either. And that sentence was just what I imagine. Part of that is probably informed by the fact that in the market I'm interested in (not a huge market) firms really try not to no-offer people and have been known to make salary freezes or go on a slightly lower scale to avoid it. And most of the firms here HAVE avoided layoffs and no-offers, thankfully. Might be different on the East Coast.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Realistically firms could probably handle another recession because of their rather small hiring for 2011, 2012.

imagine how fat people in the midwest will get if they get no offer pwned for 1-2 years.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Kronk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Realistically firms could probably handle another recession because of their rather small hiring for 2011, 2012.

imagine how fat people in the midwest will get if they get no offer pwned for 1-2 years.
Imagine if Berk, well, remains.

just playing brah

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:36 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Imagine if Berk, well, remains.

just playing brah
We already know how to be homeless, brah.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm

The richest most successful attorney's I know are all older TTT doods who graduated in the 70s/80s. However I'm sure most of their classmates and students today at their schools never had the opportunity to practice lawl.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”