Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Re: Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done?

Post by theturkeyisfat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:50 am

paratactical wrote:My first week in NYC biglaw, I tried to invite the cute guy from the mailroom out to do shots with me after work. I accidentally invited a senior partner who happened to have a very similar name. Rather than email me back, senior partner showed up, did two shots with me, and then warned me to be careful about who I emailed booze invites to.
that's awesome

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:
paratactical wrote:My first week in NYC biglaw, I tried to invite the cute guy from the mailroom out to do shots with me after work. I accidentally invited a senior partner who happened to have a very similar name. Rather than email me back, senior partner showed up, did two shots with me, and then warned me to be careful about who I emailed booze invites to.
that's awesome
note: this will probably only work if you're para

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am

northwood wrote:did he buy any of the shots??
He bought them all.
fatduck wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote: that's awesome
I was so fucking mortified.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am

paratactical wrote:
northwood wrote:did he buy any of the shots??
He bought them all.
fatduck wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote: that's awesome
I was so fucking mortified.
So when he walked in (I'm guessing in a fab suit that a mailroom boy cannot afford), what was your reaction? Obvs you had to know you were meeting the wrong guy. This is hiarious.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am

romothesavior wrote:So when he walked in (I'm guessing in a fab suit that a mailroom boy cannot afford), what was your reaction? Obvs you had to know you were meeting the wrong guy. This is hiarious.
I turned a fabulous shade of red and he advised me that mailroom guy was a Mets fan and they don't get far in life. I told him I was a Red Sox fan and he made a joke about how he hoped it didn't take me 86 years to come around and that he could introduce me to his son if I wanted. There are not many moments in my life where I was shocked into mostly silence, but this was definitely one of them. For the next five years I worked there, every time he saw me, he asked me when we were going to go do shots again. I actually ended up getting tossed with him after one settlement and we forced all the junior attorneys to do tons of shots and laughed at the funny faces they made trying to drink some Jamo. One of the juniors got so shiatfaced that night that he projectile vomited all over the hotel. He lateraled pretty soon after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:19 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Using the r-word to refer to a person w/ cognitive disabilities = Using the n-word to refer to a black person, or using the f-word to refer to a gay person.

Just sayin'.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:23 pm

CreativityKing wrote:http://www.r-word.org/

Using the r-word to refer to a person w/ cognitive disabilities = Using the n-word to refer to a black person, or using the f-word to refer to a gay person.

Just sayin'.
I agree it is probably offensive and is certainly in poor taste, but it is nowhere near the level of the other two.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Just sayin'.
playin' devil's advocate

the first mostly offends the friends and relations of the those w/ cognitive disabilities
the second and third do that, but also directly offend
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Borhas wrote:

Just sayin'.
playin' devil's advocate

the first mostly offends the friends and relations of the those w/ cognitive disabilities
They won't be offended, anyway. No harm, no foul.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:44 pm

Borhas wrote:

Just sayin'.
playin' devil's advocate

Having a cognitive disability does not preclude one from understanding anything about how he or she is being addressed/referred to. Many (most?) people on the spectrum of cognitive disabilities would be offended to be referred to with the r-word.

With that being said, and assuming you are arguing that my equality wasn't fully accurate (and you are not arguing that that makes it OK to use the r-word), I'll revise:

Using the r-word to refer to a person w/ cognitive disabilities ~ Using the n-word to refer to a black person, or using the f-word to refer to a gay person.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:50 pm

CreativityKing wrote: Using the r-word to refer to a person w/ cognitive disabilities ~ Using the n-word to refer to a black person, or using the f-word to refer to a gay person.
yeah that makes sense

but I was thinking of situations where we refer to people w/ normal cognitive skills (but who do something foolish) as retards
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

sticks and stones

if there's no malice who cares about crude word choice

see South Park episode involving bikers

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:48 pm

paratactical wrote:
romothesavior wrote:So when he walked in (I'm guessing in a fab suit that a mailroom boy cannot afford), what was your reaction? Obvs you had to know you were meeting the wrong guy. This is hiarious.
I turned a fabulous shade of red and he advised me that mailroom guy was a Mets fan and they don't get far in life. I told him I was a Red Sox fan and he made a joke about how he hoped it didn't take me 86 years to come around and that he could introduce me to his son if I wanted. There are not many moments in my life where I was shocked into mostly silence, but this was definitely one of them. For the next five years I worked there, every time he saw me, he asked me when we were going to go do shots again. I actually ended up getting tossed with him after one settlement and we forced all the junior attorneys to do tons of shots and laughed at the funny faces they made trying to drink some Jamo. One of the juniors got so shiatfaced that night that he projectile vomited all over the hotel. He lateraled pretty soon after that.
Para, you're my hero. Teach me how to be awesome?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Oh hey let's take this awesome thread full of funny stories and turn it into a debate about the word retarded. :evil:

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:59 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Para, you're my hero. Teach me how to be awesome?
Booze. YW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:31 pm

(Posting anonymously because I'm still embarrassed about this.)

During the first few weeks of my job as a legal intern at a smallish firm, my work was mostly filing and delivering documents to courts or opposing counsel in urgent (deadline-imminent) situations. On a Friday afternoon, the partner I worked for asked me to deliver a box of documents to a nearby big-law firm. When I arrived at the office, I told the receptionist I had a delivery for "Attorney Jones," and she told me that she was out of town but her assistant was down the hall. After walking down the hall, getting lost, and asking for help I was pointed upstairs to Jones's office. Her office was empty, but the door was open, so I placed the box on her chair as was customary for the attorneys at the firm where I worked. To make sure she received it, I knocked on the next door and told the attorney the firm I was from and that I was dropping off documents.

She. flipped. out. She yelled at me for a good 10 minutes because I had ventured into the attorney office area about me being from "opposing counsel" and that there were "numerous documents" with "attorney client privilege,' etc. She asked me several times if I was "serving her" (I had no idea, but I was pretty sure I wasn't). When I told her I had been pointed there by reception, she brought me down there and yelled at the receptionist for 5 minutes. At this point I (a rising college freshman) was terrified and certain that I was going to get my firm in trouble. When she threatened to call the named partner in charge of the firm and asked for my name, I froze. As an avid baseball fan, the first names I thought of were "Juan Pierre" and "Jose Reyes." I decided my fake name needed to be somewhat more consistent with my ethnicity and settled on "Francis Cooper." I wrote the name down for the attorney and slunk back to my firm.

Rather than telling anyone what happened, I wrote a note that explained the story, placed it on my boss's desk, and left for the day.

The next day, the partner I worked for called me in. He was extraordinarily kind in telling me the firm expected a certain degree of professionalism and there was no situation that merited a fake name. He also told me there were a lot of people in the legal profession with a **** up their ****. Then he added, "And what the hell were you thinking getting inside her office and not bringing me back any information?"

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I decided my fake name needed to be somewhat more consistent with my ethnicity and settled on "Francis Cooper." I wrote the name down for the attorney and slunk back to my firm.

Rather than telling anyone what happened, I wrote a note that explained the story, placed it on my boss's desk, and left for the day.
how could you possibly think this was a good idea?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I decided my fake name needed to be somewhat more consistent with my ethnicity and settled on "Francis Cooper." I wrote the name down for the attorney and slunk back to my firm.

seriously. in these situations, you always use Ron Mexico.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:34 pm

fatduck wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

I prefer the fake name Joshua Tit...but that's just me.

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Sorry to hear OP, but most people I know have stories like yours, and very few have suffered any long term consequences (if you work at a place that would treat you differently, you probably don't want to work there anyways, right?). Anyways, you're not alone, I wouldn't stress.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 pm

chimp wrote:
fatduck wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

I prefer the fake name Joshua Tit...but that's just me.
Art Vandalay is the default.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:

I know right? Giving the attorney's name was dumb.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Don't feel bad. If this is the worst mistake you've made so far, you're golden.

Besides, not all bigwig law firms have stuffy dress codes -

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... down-.html
High-Powered Lawyers Wear Flip Flops

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm

paratactical wrote:

Did you go out with his son?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:15 pm

I 100% believe every bit of para's story... I just wish I had been on hand to see it all..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”