Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 pm

...It just might be this.

I am a volunteer clerk at a state agency this summer for 1L job. I am subletting a place a few blocks away from work. I wear sandals into the shower since the people in the house I'm subletting from are...ahem...disgusting. So I changed into my suit after my shower, grabbed my lunch, went out the door, not noticing a thing that could be wrong...

...Then, while I'm looking through some files at work, one of the attorneys (jokingly) said, "I see you went casual today!" I looked at her like I had no idea what she was talking about. Then I saw her motion to my feet...and OMFG I was still wearing sandals. I had not even noticed (my office shoes are closed-toe flats, btw, not heels). I never do this kind of shit at a job. Never. I am notoriously over-prepared. And I have never been this mortified.

I felt my face turn the brightest shade of red I've ever experienced, and stuttered out that I had not even realized I had not changed my shoes. I grabbed a file and tried to work from my desk for a minute so no one would notice my utter stupid-fuckery, and figure out how to remedy the situation without looking like even more of a retard---ask to go home and change shoes? Wait until lunch? But the damage was already done. In another minute, one of the attorneys came by and told me that I would need to either work from the desk and change at lunch or go when I finished up the file I was working on. I apologized more profusely than I ever have in my life, opting to go home as soon as the file was done so I could avoid any more embarrassment. I asked who had noticed the shoes...she said, "oh, everybody."

It gets worse.

One of the attorneys was mystified that I had taken a file to start to work on by myself. I thought this was what they wanted, since the attorneys kept saying I could do this when I was ready, and all of the other 1L and 2L interns were doing these on their own. And all day last Friday I kept talking about how I felt ready and would "jump in" and do one on my own on Monday, that I would do so on Monday, and all I got was smiles and nods. No one every seemed to indicate otherwise. In fact, an attorney who knows/ has mentored me saw me looking at it, asked me "are you going to do that one?", and I said "sure, I can if that's good." She was OK with this too, and told me to ask if I had any questions.

At this point, with an attorney telling me how wrong I was to start working on this, I was devastated. I tried to explain all this, that I was trying to be proactive and productive and meet expectations etc etc., but she just kept looking at me like I'm crazy. She said that no one ever does anything here without being told to do it first, and that what I'd done was very "odd behavior....our liability...no one specifically authorized..."

There is some good news, though. The other attorneys I saw today were on my side. One saw how upset I looked and told me it wasn't my fault. I thoroughly apologized to anyone and everyone and no one seemed to be upset about it or even care, but I still feel like the biggest pile of shit ever. And I feel like all I was trying to do was be a good worker.

F*CK. That's all I can say. F*CK today.

Re: Most Retarded Thing a Summer Clerk Has Ever Done?

Postby 071816 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 pm

This reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother episode when Marshall gets to work and realizes that he forgot his pants.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 pm

You're not a summer associate faced with the prospect of getting no-offered, so who cares? Worst case scenario you can't use your 1L employer as a reference, which will only matter for the 2% of firms that call references.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Cavalier wrote:You're not a summer associate faced with the prospect of getting no-offered, so who cares? Worst case scenario you can't use your 1L employer as a reference, which will only matter for the 2% of firms that call references.

Very true, and thank god for it.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Everything is going to be just fine. Things like that happen more often than you think. Nothing to worry about.

I hope you have a much better day tomorrow!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 pm

That's embarrassing, but I don't think it reflects that poorly on you, I wouldn't worry about it too much cause I've heard worse....

Supposedly, last year:

One of the interns at our office was helping out on this big felony case... 25-Life. Anyway, over the course of the summer the intern spent some time talking w/ the client, to the point that client trusted the intern. One day, the DA offers a deal, something stiff, but not life ending, maybe 8 years. The intern and the attorney met with the client, and after the explanation, the client turns the intern and ask "what do you think?"... before the attorney could say STFU, the intern responded by saying "follow your heart" or some such sentimental drivel... The client did follow his heart, through a trial, was found guilty, and is now gonna spend the rest of his life following his heart in prison.

'Course there was also an immediate screaming match between the attorney (who now had 1 extra trial to worry about) and the intern. The attorney reasonably firing the intern on the spot, and yelling at her for being retarded.

Now, that's something that will stop you from working in this town (or any town) ever again
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's embarrassing, but I don't think it reflects that poorly on you, I wouldn't worry about it too much cause I've heard worse....

Supposedly, last year:

One of the interns at our office was helping out on this big felony case... 25-Life. Anyway, over the course of the summer the intern spent some time talking w/ the client, to the point that client trusted the intern. One day, the DA offers a deal, something stiff, but not life ending, maybe 8 years. The intern and the attorney met with the client, and after the explanation, the client turns the intern and ask "what do you think?"... before the attorney could say STFU, the intern responded by saying "follow your heart" or some such sentimental drivel... The client did follow his heart, through a trial, was found guilty, and is now gonna spend the rest of his life in prison.

'Course there was also an immediate screaming match between the attorney (who now had 1 extra trial to worry about) and the intern. The attorney reasonably firing the intern on the spot, and yelling at her for being retarded.

Now, that's something that will stop you from working in this town (or any town) ever again

Holy shit

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Shake it off OP. Definitely not as big of a deal as it seems. The culture in this organization sounds extremely uptight. But you're just there for the summer, so who cares?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's embarrassing, but I don't think it reflects that poorly on you, I wouldn't worry about it too much cause I've heard worse....

Supposedly, last year:

One of the interns at our office was helping out on this big felony case... 25-Life. Anyway, over the course of the summer the intern spent some time talking w/ the client, to the point that client trusted the intern. One day, the DA offers a deal, something stiff, but not life ending, maybe 8 years. The intern and the attorney met with the client, and after the explanation, the client turns the intern and ask "what do you think?"... before the attorney could say STFU, the intern responded by saying "follow your heart" or some such sentimental drivel... The client did follow his heart, through a trial, was found guilty, and is now gonna spend the rest of his life following his heart in prison.

What a champ

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:

Supposedly, last year:

One of the interns at our office was helping out on this big felony case... 25-Life. Anyway, over the course of the summer the intern spent some time talking w/ the client, to the point that client trusted the intern. One day, the DA offers a deal, something stiff, but not life ending, maybe 8 years. The intern and the attorney met with the client, and after the explanation, the client turns the intern and ask "what do you think?"... before the attorney could say STFU, the intern responded by saying "follow your heart" or some such sentimental drivel... The client did follow his heart, through a trial, was found guilty, and is now gonna spend the rest of his life in prison.

Holy shit

+1. That's horrible. Just follow orders and do what they tell you. As an intern, SA, etc. you are there to support and help the attorneys. Don't do anything that they don't tell you to do, unless it's necessarily implied by the scope of your assignment (i.e., you encounter something in research that they didn't tell you to handle, but is still very relevant for the matter, it's good to address this briefly in a memo).

But to OP, I'd echo the sentiment that it's alright since you're a 1L and you still have next summer. Just make sure you have some work product for OCI and snag a good reference from there (maybe one of the attorneys that was "on your side" in this dispute) and you'll be fine.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 pm

i drove to work once a couple years ago and realized, about 45 minutes from my house, and 5 minutes from work, that i wasn't wearing a shirt. i stopped at target and bought a shirt and tie (the merona shirts aren't half bad, actually). the look on the cashier's face was totally worth it.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Supposedly, last year:

Wow, that is some crazy shit. The title of the thread reminded me of a time I was doing an unpaid internship during undergrad and made some minor mistake and when it was pointed out to me I called myself retarded in front of like 3/4 people in the office. They were like upper 20s/30s, and they all just looked at me like I said the N word (just a very awkward silence). One of the guys told me later that I shouldn't say stuff like that (he was only 4/5 yrs older than me). I just apologized, saying I had a bad habit but wouldn't let it happen again. I learned to be way more PC after that incident.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 pm

chimp wrote:This reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother episode when Marshall gets to work and realizes that he forgot his pants.

+1

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Last edited by yo! on Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Jesus. I think I could walk into my NYC firm with sandals and get less of a reaction than you did.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am

Op. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Make friends with one of the staff attorneys and if compelled, try to use that person, instead of the technical "supervisor" as a reference. Moreover, even if this was "odd behavior," if you finish out strong, the supervisor would have to be a hugeeee D-Bag to give you a poor recommendation.

We recently got rid of a law clerk that wasn't working out. She was by no means a good clerk. Frankly, she was average at best (and that is being generous). That said, if called, I won't give her a bad review. It wouldn't be fair to do that to her because her experience was limited and honestly, she could have just been a bad fit for my firm. These things happen. But none of that would make lead me to hurt her chances of future employment. If she got to the stage where an employer is asking for references, then she has obviously impressed someone. Why would I want to ruin her chances?

What I would not do for her is go out of my way to help her find a placement. So in reality, unless you expect that someone at this place was going find you your 2L job (highly unlikely), then I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:18 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Supposedly, last year:

Wow, that is some crazy shit. The title of the thread reminded me of a time I was doing an unpaid internship during undergrad and made some minor mistake and when it was pointed out to me I called myself retarded in front of like 3/4 people in the office. They were like upper 20s/30s, and they all just looked at me like I said the N word (just a very awkward silence). One of the guys told me later that I shouldn't say stuff like that (he was only 4/5 yrs older than me). I just apologized, saying I had a bad habit but wouldn't let it happen again. I learned to be way more PC after that incident.

Yeah my dad's business partners and people he deal with are extremely profane sometimes. It depends on the culture. Definitely not unheard of for them to drop n and s and what have you bombs and dirty jokes among themselves. I almost let slip the N-word once at work, I said shit and like this guy, (not at a law office) people within earshot looked at me as if I had just backhanded their grandmother. Another time I was irritated at some new hire I was supposed to show around, and they did something (I forget what, I think some movie cliche/shorthand for establishing someone to be a klutz), I think, we were late for a meeting because I was showing him something and he broke into a near-jog right around a corner and almost wiped out with another employee.

My reaction to this near miss was a barely suppressed exclamation of "WHAT ARE YOU BLIND." I was so focused on trying not to shout too loud that I did realize what I was saying that the near-victim of this ridiculous office sprint was vision-impaired. So I gave a crackling, suppressed shout that sounded like "WHAT ARE YOU BLI...-STUPID?" If looks could kill. Tightasses.

Then again, my internship the summer after my sophomore year of college, my boss showed up way late in DC (he takes the red line metro, this was 2009, the day they had the metro accident) and he unleashes a string of some of the most creative obscenities I've ever heard about mass transit. From that day forward I was never afraid of appearing uncouth in front of him, and regularly dropped s-bombs and the like with him.

Just gotta play it by ear.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 am

reasonable_man wrote:Op. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Make friends with one of the staff attorneys and if compelled, try to use that person, instead of the technical "supervisor" as a reference. Moreover, even if this was "odd behavior," if you finish out strong, the supervisor would have to be a hugeeee D-Bag to give you a poor recommendation.

We recently got rid of a law clerk that wasn't working out. She was by no means a good clerk. Frankly, she was average at best (and that is being generous). That said, if called, I won't give her a bad review. It wouldn't be fair to do that to her because her experience was limited and honestly, she could have just been a bad fit for my firm. These things happen. But none of that would make lead me to hurt her chances of future employment. If she got to the stage where an employer is asking for references, then she has obviously impressed someone. Why would I want to ruin her chances?

What I would not do for her is go out of my way to help her find a placement. So in reality, unless you expect that someone at this place was going find you your 2L job (highly unlikely), then I wouldn't worry too much at all.

As usual, reasonable_man speaks the truth (and further cements his place as the type of guy I want as my boss).

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 am

Naked Dude wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Supposedly, last year:

Yeah my dad's business partners and people he deal with are extremely profane sometimes. It depends on the culture. Definitely not unheard of for them to drop n and s and what have you bombs and dirty jokes among themselves. I almost let slip the N-word once at work, I said shit and like this guy, (not at a law office) people within earshot looked at me as if I had just backhanded their grandmother. Another time I was irritated at some new hire I was supposed to show around, and they did something (I forget what, I think some movie cliche/shorthand for establishing someone to be a klutz), I think, we were late for a meeting because I was showing him something and he broke into a near-jog right around a corner and almost wiped out with another employee.

My reaction to this near miss was a barely suppressed exclamation of "WHAT ARE YOU BLIND." I was so focused on trying not to shout too loud that I did realize what I was saying that the near-victim of this ridiculous office sprint was vision-impaired. So I gave a crackling, suppressed shout that sounded like "WHAT ARE YOU BLI...-STUPID?" If looks could kill. Tightasses.

Then again, my internship the summer after my sophomore year of college, my boss showed up way late in DC (he takes the red line metro, this was 2009, the day they had the metro accident) and he unleashes a string of some of the most creative obscenities I've ever heard about mass transit. From that day forward I was never afraid of appearing uncouth in front of him, and regularly dropped s-bombs and the like with him.

Um to the mods these jobs/internships were in the legal field, although I am still a 0L. So it is legal employment...

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 am

A girl that SA'd with me got fired pretty early on for, well...let me explain. She (let's call her Louise) used to be big on wearing slightly exposed-back blouses, nothing distasteful, maybe a little inappropriate; but it wasn't an uptight firm. Anyway, I kind of didn't pay attention to her while she was there, because she sat across from me and had her back to a tall window, and in the morning the sun came blazing through there like hellfire. All I could see was her silhouette. After a week of intensely good weather, with her basically dissolved in the sun, I almost forgot she existed. She was a great sunshade. Then, on Friday, it was raining pretty hard. 9AM, she's sitting there, across from me. "Hey [Verity], do you have any sticky notes?" 'Oh, that's right, you're there,' I thought. Before I could answer, our supervising attorney walks behind her, stops, face-shrieks, and says "OMG! Louise! What the heck?!" Louise looks funny, turns around to say "What?" and.....

UH OH.

The intense sun has caused her entire back to peel like I've never, ever seen. More disgusting than Goldmember.

8) I just made that up. 8)
Last edited by Verity on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:45 am

Verity wrote:A girl that SA'd with me got fired for, well...let me explain. She (let's call her Louise) used to be big on wearing slightly exposed-back blouses, nothing distasteful, maybe a little inappropriate; but it wasn't an uptight firm. Anyway, I kind of didn't pay attention to her while she was there, because she sat across from me and had her back to a tall window, and in the morning the sun came blazing through there like hellfire. All I could see was her silhouette. After a week of intensely good weather, with her basically dissolved in the sun, I almost forgot she existed. Then, on Friday, it was raining pretty hard. 9AM, she's sitting there, across from me. "Hey [Verity], do you have any sticky notes?" 'Oh, that's right, you're there,' I thought. Before I could answer, our supervising attorney walks behind her, stops, face-shrieks, and says "OMG! Louise! What the heck?!" Louise looks funny, turns around to say "What?" and.....

UH OH.

The intense sun has caused her entire back to peel like I've never, ever seen. More disgusting than Goldmember.

8) I just made that up. 8)

Have you been drinking?

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 am

Naked Dude wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Supposedly, last year:

Not that I condone it, but if you're even thinking about dropping the N-word at work, I hope you're at least black.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 am

cartercl wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Supposedly, last year:

Not that I condone it, but if you're even thinking about dropping the N-word at work, I hope you're at least black.

Fo realz. If you're white, you shouldn't even be thinking that word in public, just in case it might slip. If I said something like that, I'd probably quit and apologize.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 am

Naked Dude wrote:Have you been drinking?

Yes. Blood!

EDIT: Mark-Paul Gosselaar needs to do a vampire-lawyers sitcom. Patience is running thin with F&B.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Supposedly, last year:

Okay, the intern probably should have just kept her mouth shut, but this is the attorney's fault. It's the attorney's job to counsel the clients and make sure they make the most informed decision possible. The fact that this attorney couldn't come up with anything more persuasive than an intern's "follow your heart" is pathetic. Screaming at the intern and "firing" her on the spot is a clownish overreaction, especially considering the client most likely had his mind made up before he got to the courthouse. Also, if that attorney can't handle the stress of one more trial maybe s/he should seek alternate employment.

Return to “Legal Employment”