7 Hs, 6 Ps at Stanford: How high to shoot during OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 7 Hs, 6 Ps at Stanford: How high to shoot during OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:GDC NYC, LA, and SF are all solid targets, with DC being reach-ish.

I spoke with a GDC interviewer who said that they look for 'more Hs than Ps', so this sounds right.

Yeah, GDC made an insane number of offers to SLSers last year (the OCI dinner had a good 40 people at it, and they have something like 15 Stanford summers). I know for certain that multiple summers there are in the 3-4 H range without LR. People have said that they want to be the firm that has the most SLS students, and they'll dip down to do so.

I heard the same rumor about GDC looking to increase the # of SLSers at the firm. To that point, our class has 16 students who are at least splitting with a GDC office (good guess with 15). That being said, I know of at least two individuals with > 1/2 Hs who received CBs but not offers from GDC SF/LA/NYC.

It'll be interesting to see how GDC's larger offices (read: LA and NYC) deal with OCI this year. I hear the LA office has an absurd 46-person summer class, and it's highly unlikely that happens again. Hopefully clerkships and voluntary nonacceptances (rather than no-offers) smooth this number out.

MaxWeber

Postby MaxWeber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:59 pm

does GDC follow the cravath scale? if so, anyone know the required hours?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:12 am

Anyone know what's the status of law review? Do we find out before bids are due? Have we already found out and they didn't even bother to send me my rejection? :oops:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 am

I haven't heard any news about SLR. But, then again, I still don't have all my grades back either. Hearing back on both before August 1 would be nice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what's the status of law review? Do we find out before bids are due? Have we already found out and they didn't even bother to send me my rejection? :oops:

1. Last year, SLR calls came out the last Sunday/last Monday in July, IIRC. You'll have them before bids are due. Remember, though: there are people not on SLR that got offers at almost all the most coveted firms. The only firms to my knowledge that took only SLR members were Keker and MTO, and those combined only have 3 total SLS summers. That's not to say SLR can't be a boost, but for the rising 3Ls it didn't seem to make any difference when it came down to who got offers where, except at the margins.

2. I also got my final grade around that time, but I do think some people were missing a grade when they were bidding. One extra H or P is also really only going to matter at the margins though (if it's your first and only H, or if it bumps you from 2-3 to make it look like you're at median, or from 6 to 7 and puts you at more Hs than Ps). Apart from that, your bidlist should look the same regardless of the outcome of that final grade, unless it's an R. Which it won't be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what's the status of law review? Do we find out before bids are due? Have we already found out and they didn't even bother to send me my rejection? :oops:

1. Last year, SLR calls came out the last Sunday/last Monday in July, IIRC. You'll have them before bids are due. Remember, though: there are people not on SLR that got offers at almost all the most coveted firms. The only firms to my knowledge that took only SLR members were Keker and MTO, and those combined only have 3 total SLS summers. That's not to say SLR can't be a boost, but for the rising 3Ls it didn't seem to make any difference when it came down to who got offers where, except at the margins.

2. I also got my final grade around that time, but I do think some people were missing a grade when they were bidding. One extra H or P is also really only going to matter at the margins though (if it's your first and only H, or if it bumps you from 2-3 to make it look like you're at median, or from 6 to 7 and puts you at more Hs than Ps). Apart from that, your bidlist should look the same regardless of the outcome of that final grade, unless it's an R. Which it won't be.

don't know about Keker, i think it's more about Hs there (and the people w/ 11 Hs are probably the same who cared enough to try out for SLR). can confirm from a MTO associate that they will take a candidate with fewer Hs (5-6) if that candidate has SLR and fits their culture better.

Return to “Legal Employment”