What is the one thing that can guarantee getting hired @ V10

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is the one thing that can guarantee getting hired @ V10

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Re: What is the one thing that can guarantee getting hired @ V10

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:10 pm

What's the point of this? Just graduate #1 at Yale

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:15 pm

NYC Law wrote:Just graduate #1 at Yale

TITCR

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to hear all of your thoughts/experience...

here are mine:

Rhodes/Marshall Scholar
Fulbright Fellow
Top 3 Law School with more than 80% or more Hs

That's really all I can say for sure-Thoughts everyone?

That was the best you could come up with? How about, all of what you wrote, plus:

-Varsity QB at BCS champion school.
-Your last name is Wachtell
-your Mom's maiden name is Roberts

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

here are mine:

Rhodes/Marshall Scholar
Fulbright Fellow

marshall isn't all that prestigious

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Even the most well-credentialed kid can miss out on a V10 if he gives it 99% while the people behind him all give 100%. It is certainly plausible that such a qualified person makes the misake of thinking that a V10 position is guaranteed and it comes back to bite him.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:18 pm

This is a dumb fucking thread. The V10 distinction is barely useful - Firms just outside of the V10 regularly run with 'the' V10 in NYC, while firms within the V10 (looking at you, W&C) have almost nothing in common with other V10 firms - for better or for worse, they're just different.

Anyway, that stupidity aside, nothing can guarantee getting hired by one. Sorry kids. Even those credentials can lead to crash and burn interviews. You walk into the firm and tell them you just want a cushy summer gig before immediately attempting to break into academia and the V10 will tell you and your Rhodes to sod off.

Finally, even within the V10 firms that are slightly homogeneous, hiring criteria fluctuate massively both between firms and between the schools firms hire at. I know of one V5 that's only marginally grade selective at some schools and requires absolute top of the class grades from schools that are in all other respects peers. Two firms in the V10 - W&C and Wachtell - are much smaller and much more specialized than the rest, which means they often look for their 'type' from their favored feeder schools. W&C doesn't do OCI at NYU but it does at UVA, Wachtell doesn't to OCI at UVA but does at NYU. The preferences firms have don't line up with a neat, ordinal universe. S&C and DPW are damn near identical firms with wildly different hiring protocols. If you want to work in Los Angeles at a 'V10' firm, Skadden is going to look a lot more attractive than the pile of V10 firms that don't have offices in Los Angeles.

Et cetera.

tl;dr stupid thread is stupid

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:This is a dumb fucking thread. The V10 distinction is barely useful - Firms just outside of the V10 regularly run with 'the' V10 in NYC, while firms within the V10 (looking at you, W&C) have almost nothing in common with other V10 firms - for better or for worse, they're just different.

Anyway, that stupidity aside, nothing can guarantee getting hired by one. Sorry kids. Even those credentials can lead to crash and burn interviews. You walk into the firm and tell them you just want a cushy summer gig before immediately attempting to break into academia and the V10 will tell you and your Rhodes to sod off.

Finally, even within the V10 firms that are slightly homogeneous, hiring criteria fluctuate massively both between firms and between the schools firms hire at. I know of one V5 that's only marginally grade selective at some schools and requires absolute top of the class grades from schools that are in all other respects peers. Two firms in the V10 - W&C and Wachtell - are much smaller and much more specialized than the rest, which means they often look for their 'type' from their favored feeder schools. W&C doesn't do OCI at NYU but it does at UVA, Wachtell doesn't to OCI at UVA but does at NYU. The preferences firms have don't line up with a neat, ordinal universe. S&C and DPW are damn near identical firms with wildly different hiring protocols. If you want to work in Los Angeles at a 'V10' firm, Skadden is going to look a lot more attractive than the pile of V10 firms that don't have offices in Los Angeles.

Et cetera.

tl;dr stupid thread is stupid

Williams and Connolly is 13 now n00b. Obviously that undermines the rest of your post as well :P

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

i want thesealocust in my CSO

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 pm

This is idiotic. There isn't one thing, by itself, that can guarantee you a V10 offer; firms aren't going to fawn over you just because you are number one in the class, were a Rhodes Scholar, cured cancer, are the son of the CEO of an important client who will be very mad if the firm doesn't hire you (actually that probably will suffice to get an offer), etc. Once your credentials hit a certain level, getting hired involves convincing the firm that you're interested in working there, that you'll be a good lawyer, that you'll be tolerable to work with, and so on. It's true that the better your credentials, the less convincing you have to do, but you still have to do some. If a firm sees that you have little interest in private practice long term, that you can't speak intelligently about a legal issue (don't blow the "what did you work on last summer?" question!), or that you're an asshole, it doesn't matter what your credentials are.

I can think of two things that make a V10 offer highly likely: top quarter grades at UVA and the ability to interview well. Once you're in a top law school, you don't have to be extraordinary; you just have to be above average.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:01 pm

here are mine:

Rhodes/Marshall Scholar
Fulbright Fellow

Neither of the first two.

The third, sure.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:06 pm

1. Pictures of partners cheating on their spouses.
2. You are the son of the CEO of their biggest client.
3. You have proof you are the Navy Seal who shot Osama Bin Laden (plus top third at CCN)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 pm

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While I thank everyone for the responses- if you think it's stupid, close the window and don't post, I'm merely curious. I also dislike how everything on this forum is taken so literally: by V10 I am referring to a top firm, yes, I understand the 11th ranked firm probably recruits the same way the 10th does. You can assume that if someone wins a Rhodes or Marshall they are not an asshole, since there is a very rigorous interview process and I doubt 8 people would recommend this mega douche. Lastly, can we please assume that this person wants to practice privately for the love of god.

so you're only interested in the opinions of people who agree with you? no wonder you aren't willing to put your name to your posts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While I thank everyone for the responses- if you think it's stupid, close the window and don't post, I'm merely curious. I also dislike how everything on this forum is taken so literally: by V10 I am referring to a top firm, yes, I understand the 11th ranked firm probably recruits the same way the 10th does. You can assume that if someone wins a Rhodes or Marshall they are not an asshole, since there is a very rigorous interview process and I doubt 8 people would recommend this mega douche. Lastly, can we please assume that this person wants to practice privately for the love of god.

Well, when you transform this into "a great credential plus not being unnattractive to a law firm" it becomes a very different question. And even though I think it's a stupid question, I'm posting so that readers recognize that they can't just expect offers to come based solely on their credentials.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:25 pm

fatduck wrote:

so you're only interested in the opinions of people who agree with you? no wonder you aren't willing to put your name to your posts.

+1 and this is blatant abuse of anonymous feature

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 pm

cool thread

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 pm

shoeshine wrote:1. Pictures of partners cheating on their spouses.
3. You have proof you are the Navy Seal who shot Osama Bin Laden (plus top third at CCN)

THIS, FTW.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 pm

egirarde wrote:
shoeshine wrote:1. Pictures of partners cheating on their spouses.

THIS, FTW.

I would add to the list 'proof that you are the sniper who shot those Somali pirates on the boat last spring.' That was pretty badass, too.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:52 pm

A couple of these

Combined lithe wrist and tongue action.

Return to “Legal Employment”