Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

I have a pretty low GPA at a top ten school. I was wondering if I should avoid sending my transcript out to firms that are not coming to campus in the fall. I understand I need to for on campus interviews, but do I need to for other firms? Has anyone ever tried this? My resume is pretty decent looking and i'm thinking I can maybe get interviews with my resume and school solely. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for the help

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:18 am

anyone know this?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby blurbz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:22 am

You'll need your GPA on your resume. You can start by sending just your resume/cover letter and hope they don't ask for a transcript, but you DO need your GPA on the resume.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 am

blurbz wrote:You'll need your GPA on your resume. You can start by sending just your resume/cover letter and hope they don't ask for a transcript, but you DO need your GPA on the resume.



Never heard of putting a GPA on a resume if it isnt high. Point is I dont want them to know my GPA, otherwise i might as well send the transcript, I dont have any C's or anything on it, just an extremely shitty straight B semester.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby blurbz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

Ahh yeah, I guess I didn't think that through. Try it! The worst that happens is they ask for a transcript, which you'll send them. Hopefully you'll get a few firms to bite without it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 am

My GPA is below median and my CDO rep advised me to include it. She said that you don't want someone assuming it's worse than it is. She also used to hire for Jones Day. So there's that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:My GPA is below median and my CDO rep advised me to include it. She said that you don't want someone assuming it's worse than it is. She also used to hire for Jones Day. So there's that.



She said to include a below median GPA on your resume?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
She said to include a below median GPA on your resume?


Yup - my school doesn't provide specific percentiles past 33% though, so it's sort of a crapshoot.

And admittedly my UG GPA was pretty high, so it's possible she was trying to find a way to include that without it looking awkward by being included by itself.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby LoyalRebel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 am

According to some recruiters I've talked to (not law firm recruiters, but I'd assume the principal still holds), it's not absolutely necessary to put your GPA on your resume, but you can be assured that they'll ask you about it during the course of the interview.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

My school specifically discourages putting your GPA on your resume. I've also heard anectodally that you may as well submit it because they will assume the worst if you don't since its common practice and they will ask about it anyhow.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:06 pm

blowhard wrote:My school specifically discourages putting your GPA on your resume. I've also heard anectodally that you may as well submit it because they will assume the worst if you don't since its common practice and they will ask about it anyhow.


It discourages everyone from putting GPA. That sounds retarded.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:My school specifically discourages putting your GPA on your resume. I've also heard anectodally that you may as well submit it because they will assume the worst if you don't since its common practice and they will ask about it anyhow.


It discourages everyone from putting GPA. That sounds retarded.


At lease for OCI though theyr recommend for all. For OCI firms can't preselect and all firms get transcripts of interviewees so it doesn't make much difference. Wouldn't everyone send a transcript anyhow if they had a high GPA?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:My school specifically discourages putting your GPA on your resume. I've also heard anectodally that you may as well submit it because they will assume the worst if you don't since its common practice and they will ask about it anyhow.


It discourages everyone from putting GPA. That sounds retarded.


At lease for OCI though theyr recommend for all. For OCI firms can't preselect and all firms get transcripts of interviewees so it doesn't make much difference. Wouldn't everyone send a transcript anyhow if they had a high GPA?


Ok, for OCI only is a lot different. But for mass mailing and outside recruiting events, you need to. People will assume it's bad otherwise.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby seatown12 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My GPA is below median and my CDO rep advised me to include it. She said that you don't want someone assuming it's worse than it is. She also used to hire for Jones Day. So there's that.

If your GPA is below median how would it be any worse to let them assume? Like some employers have a top two-thirds GPA cutoff or something. Ask your rep how many times she hired a kid who put a 3.05 on his resume when she was at Jones Day.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
blowhard wrote:My school specifically discourages putting your GPA on your resume. I've also heard anectodally that you may as well submit it because they will assume the worst if you don't since its common practice and they will ask about it anyhow.


It discourages everyone from putting GPA. That sounds retarded.


At lease for OCI though theyr recommend for all. For OCI firms can't preselect and all firms get transcripts of interviewees so it doesn't make much difference. Wouldn't everyone send a transcript anyhow if they had a high GPA?


Ok, for OCI only is a lot different. But for mass mailing and outside recruiting events, you need to. People will assume it's bad otherwise.


I disagree. I'd leave it off if you're below median. They'll assume you're below median, and ask you for grades if they care.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:29 am

Renzo wrote:I disagree. I'd leave it off if you're below median. They'll assume you're below median, and ask you for grades if they care.


If you are only a bit below median, I'd still list it. 3.2's on a 3.3 curve still have a chance at a lot of firms, and you don't want to be dinged because they think it's a 3.0.

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:I disagree. I'd leave it off if you're below median. They'll assume you're below median, and ask you for grades if they care.


If you are only a bit below median, I'd still list it. 3.2's on a 3.3 curve still have a chance at a lot of firms, and you don't want to be dinged because they think it's a 3.0.


This makes sense.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby seatown12 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:I disagree. I'd leave it off if you're below median. They'll assume you're below median, and ask you for grades if they care.


If you are only a bit below median, I'd still list it. 3.2's on a 3.3 curve still have a chance at a lot of firms, and you don't want to be dinged because they think it's a 3.0.

There seriously are firms that will take top 60% but not top 80%, based on GPA? I just can't see a firm being like "well why didn't you tell us you had a 3.2? that makes all the difference!"

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 am

seatown12 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:I disagree. I'd leave it off if you're below median. They'll assume you're below median, and ask you for grades if they care.


If you are only a bit below median, I'd still list it. 3.2's on a 3.3 curve still have a chance at a lot of firms, and you don't want to be dinged because they think it's a 3.0.

There seriously are firms that will take top 60% but not top 80%, based on GPA? I just can't see a firm being like "well why didn't you tell us you had a 3.2? that makes all the difference!"


Many firms will actually take top 60% and won't take 80%. Though at my school 3.0 is probably more like bottom 10%.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Low GPA ... Dont send transcript?

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:20 am

Why would I include it if I'm always including my transcript anyway?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.