International SAs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

International SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 am

Anyone else in a sort of quasi-SA position with the international office of a US law firm? I'm paid, not well, and get real work to do, but I have no idea where I stand in terms of long-term offers. That's partly because of it being an international office, and partly because I'm a 1L "SA".

Anyway, I'm in Asia - it's going well so far!

Anonymous User

Re: International SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:35 am

I would also love to know the answer, looking for that this summer.

vanwinkle

Re: International SAs?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:48 am

In general, 1L jobs are easier to obtain because everyone understands they don't normally lead to job offers. You won't get a job offer from it, but not because international offices are treated differently; it's because you're a 1L. You said it yourself, you're a "quasi-SA". Unless you're an actual 2L SA at a firm that typically makes offers to SAs, you should presume you won't be getting a job offer there.

That doesn't mean your position is worthless. You could try to impress the people there enough to get a 2L SA job there, or have that experience to show other firms during OCI you're serious about wanting to work there.

Return to “Legal Employment”