Employer Secondary Journal Preferences? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employer Secondary Journal Preferences?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:18 am

Does anyone know if firms have any preference as to which secondary journals we are on if we don't make law review? At CLS, I heard the Business Law Review was well-known (and also aligns well with my interests), but I'm unsure about the other ones. E.g., The tax journal is fairly new, but it seems more relevant to big law practice than the Journal of Gender and Law or the Journal of Environmental Law.

Specifically, I am wondering about the following journals:
Columbia Business Law Review
Columbia Journal of Tax Law
Columbia Journal of Environmental Law
Columbia Journal of Gender and Law
Columbia Science and Technology Law Review
Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
Columbia Journal of Race and Law

Other than doing a journal that aligns with our interests, or selecting a journal that is likely to have a wider alumni base, or selecting a journal with a higher likelihood of publication, do employers distinguish between secondary journal membership at all?

Thanks

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Employer Secondary Journal Preferences?

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:do employers distinguish between secondary journal membership at all?
No. Not at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm

I thought JTL was the most prestigious (at least that's what I heard from 2L/3Ls). Followed by CBLR, HRLR...but then again, the people I talked to may be biased.

EDIT: after the LR, of course

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Nobody (employers included) gives a crap what secondary journal you were on.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 pm

It basically will never matter which secondary journal you are on. Law students love to obsess over which is more "prestigious" based on difficulty to get on, the amount of work involved, the number of issues published, etc., but employers don't know and don't care about any of that. The only possible exception is if you're applying to clerkships; you'll look better if you have a more serious-sounding journal on your resume. So, for example, if you're at UVA and you think you'll have a shot at a district court clerkship, you'd probably be better off with the Virginia Journal of Law and Politics than the Virginia Journal of Sports and Entertainment. But that's about it.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:02 pm

You mentioned that one of the journals aligns most closely with your interests. I'd go with that one. If you hope to practice in that area, it could help reading and writing on relevant topics. It'll also serve to back you up when you talk about your interests in interviews. Granted, if you're talking about biglaw, this probably won't matter as much. But if you want to practice in a DA's office, I'd be surprised if membership (or even better, leadership positions) on a criminal law journal wouldn't help you. Or a civil rights and liberties journal if you're aiming for the ACLU. Etc., etc. Outside of confirming your interest in a practice area, though, there's not much difference between secondaries.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”