Top 10% at non-t14 midwest law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10% at non-t14 midwest law school

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm in the top 10% at a non-t14 midwest law school ranked in the top 30. Our OCI is looking meager with very few NY firms. Do I need to mass mail New York? Will they even give me the time of day? What steps do I need to take to give myself the best shot at biglaw? It seems that the small amount of firms at OCI makes relying solely on OCI too risky.

Renzo

Re: Top 10% at non-t14 midwest law school

Postby Renzo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:54 am

Don't just rely on OCI. You're not in a bad spot. There are lots of firms that would consider you and those few students with grades as good as yours, but wouldn't go much deeper; so for them, coming to OCI doesn't make sense.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:57 am

If you're at ND, the NYC OSIP + mass mailing is the answer. If Illinois, Minnesota, WUSTL, etc...I figure you still have a decent shot at NYC if you send out a bunch of resumes to the V100. Those are solid grades. I would focus on the Chicago firms that are coming for OCI and then mass mail NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 am

Anyone else have any insight coming from this position? I'm sure there are alot of people on the board who are or were in this sort of position and would benefit from some advice.

The only things I can think of is 1) can't fully rely just on OCI, and 2) mass mail NY. I'm just wondering if top 10% people at this type of school are really forced to scramble.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else have any insight coming from this position? I'm sure there are alot of people on the board who are or were in this sort of position and would benefit from some advice.

The only things I can think of is 1) can't fully rely just on OCI, and 2) mass mail NY. I'm just wondering if top 10% people at this type of school are really forced to scramble.

We could probably help more if we knew exactly which school... You're anonymous, so you might as well throw it out there...

I suspect you can get something in NYC. One recent post about NALP statistics indicated that there are about 1800+ BigLaw SA positions in NYC. If Top 10% at a T30 can't get you one of those, law school is far worse than even the most pessimistic people have been saying.

But you're going to have to hustle. Do OSIP if you school has it. Also plan on mass mailing and doing what few OCI firms your school has.

Best of luck.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

Are you in one of the NLSC schools? Do that for sure. Fire up Martindale and find all your alums in New York and contact them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Same position. Top 10% at UNC (T30). I don't even know where to start or what firms I should be focusing on.

I want a smaller market than NYC or DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”