3.2 at GW...OCI recommendations?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LurkerNoMore

Re: 3.2 at GW...OCI recommendations?

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LurkerNoMore wrote:If you are at a school where it is unlikely that you will get many firms out of OCI, you should contact them early. But, so you don't look like an idiot who doesn't know that they are coming to OCI, you should let them know that you are bidding on them.

If you are likely to get an interview slot at OCI OR if your OCI interview list comes out early, you can skip this and just wait to see if you got a slot.

What I mean is, what should I say if I do this? It just seems bizarre to randomly contact the firm and say "Hey I'm bidding on you." I'm all for networking and I do it more than most other law students, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this, or even if I should.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of a pretty narrow set of circumstance, and didn't realize that GW was all pre-select.

If you are at a school where OCI slots are done by bidding and you don't get the results of bidding until late, you might not want to wait to send out your resume/cover letter to firms those firms. If you are bidding on the firm, you can mention that in the intro email or cover letter -- something to the effect that you are hoping to get an interview slot during OCI, but still are interested in interviewing with them at their convenience.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:1. Get data from your OCS of what grade range firms actually offered call backs to. Don't go by the NALP range.

The GW CDO doesn't keep track of this kind of data. I asked about it specifically. I was told that they don't even try to compile any kind of data about interview->callback or callback->offer ratios anymore, because students rarely responded to their career surveys after getting (or not getting) callbacks and offers. I have no idea why other schools can do this successfully but ours can't.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:i need TLS help/recommendations. I have a 3.2 at GW (no mock/moot/journal). What firms should I focus on? I know realistically my changes are low; I am a good at interviews...so somehow I need to get past the screener. Thinking about choosing some random firms and asking to meet with random alumni partners, is this a good idea?

As for the NYC, DC debate...does DC care about ties? Been in DC for about 4 years and now started law school here. I will try to network w/ DC attorneys b/c I live here, but then does it matter if I apply to NYC office?

you should reach out / speak with ur rising-3L mentor. i know all 4 of my mentees contacted me in the past couple weeks about OCI. at this point u need to have a 30 min conversation with someone who has the specific info and advice that is relevant to u. TLS cannot provide this. u need to help others help u ASAP.

PROTIP: be proactive.

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:43 am

Good luck, OP! I'm trying to figure out my own bidding strategy and it make my head spin.

Does anyone know if GW has posted scholar designations for spring yet (aka everyone has grades)? I think I definitely didn't make the cut (and hence will be committing the OCI hail mary), but I was curious if anyone knew for sure.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:02 am

dudders wrote:Does anyone know if GW has posted scholar designations for spring yet (aka everyone has grades)? I think I definitely didn't make the cut (and hence will be committing the OCI hail mary), but I was curious if anyone knew for sure.

I believe everyone has grades now (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but scholar designations haven't been posted.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
dudders wrote:Does anyone know if GW has posted scholar designations for spring yet (aka everyone has grades)? I think I definitely didn't make the cut (and hence will be committing the OCI hail mary), but I was curious if anyone knew for sure.

I believe everyone has grades now (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but scholar designations haven't been posted.

My section (12), and I believe section 13 are each still missing one grade. My property professor tells us that the deadline for them to get those grades in is today, though.

This, of course, does not mean that they will actually Have our grades in by today.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 am

I was talking to financial aid yesterday (and additionally found out I need to add a class, whoops!) and they told me that grades were still out. They hoped to be able to start reviewing aid applications on July 1st.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 pm

waiting on one grade too ...so that is still now out. Not that I'd make it into the any designation ...sigh :/

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:10 am

Wow, I didn't realize that everybody had such a long wait. I hope nobody wanted to transfer or anything, or, you know, plan for OCI.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Wow, I didn't realize that everybody had such a long wait. I hope nobody wanted to transfer or anything, or, you know, plan for OCI.

I think the worst thing is that it's holding up journal decisions. You know, for a competition we did back in FEBRUARY!

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 am

Aston2412 wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Wow, I didn't realize that everybody had such a long wait. I hope nobody wanted to transfer or anything, or, you know, plan for OCI.

I think the worst thing is that it's holding up journal decisions. You know, for a competition we did back in FEBRUARY!

They're promised July 11th ... 4 days before bids are due. Thanks GW.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 am

dudders wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:

That's only for NY and Philly though. IIRC bidding for OCI doesn't close until the 20th. Still, it's a bit of a time crunch.

Besides, I had figured I'd apply to all of NY regional since we have enough bids to do that, so it doesn't change my calculus there at all.

jmin

Postby jmin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
dudders wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:

That's only for NY and Philly though. IIRC bidding for OCI doesn't close until the 20th. Still, it's a bit of a time crunch.

Besides, I had figured I'd apply to all of NY regional since we have enough bids to do that, so it doesn't change my calculus there at all.

The scholar designations are out if you look at your transcript on GWeb.

Would anyone's advice be different for a part-time student? I have a 3.4 GPA which puts me in the Thurgood Marshall category, but my career counselor didn't seem very optimistic.

Return to “Legal Employment”