Entering into corporate transactional work.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
summeriffic

Entering into corporate transactional work.

Postby summeriffic » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I am a current 0L and I would like to get advice on which areas of corporate law are less competitive to enter right out of law school and which areas prefer experience before entering in. All advice is welcomed, thanks! :D
1. M&A
2. Financial Institutions Litigation & Regulation
3. Business restructuring and reorganization
4. Antitrust and Competition Law
5. Banking and Finance
6. Capital Markets
7. Securities Litigation and SEC enforcement

Sup Kid

Re: Entering into corporate transactional work.

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:47 pm

summeriffic wrote:I am a current 0L and I would like to get advice on which areas of corporate law are less competitive to enter right out of law school and which areas prefer experience before entering in. All advice is welcomed, thanks! :D
1. M&A
2. Financial Institutions Litigation & Regulation
3. Business restructuring and reorganization
4. Antitrust and Competition Law
5. Banking and Finance
6. Capital Markets
7. Securities Litigation and SEC enforcement

If, based on your prior posts, you are going to Fordham and hoping to get into NYC biglaw, this is not something you should be thinking about. Many of the NYC biglaw corporate practices have junior associates rotate around for a year or two before they are assigned/pick a practice group. No one group is more "competitive" than any other, though obviously some firms do more of one type of corporate work than others.

Return to “Legal Employment”