how important is journal participation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

how important is journal participation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Got rejected by Mich Law Reform. I guess that means law review is gone as well since I used the same writing sample.

my understanding is that being on a journal does not give much of a boost. my question is does NOT being on a journal hurt the chance of landing a CB from the more selective firms?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Are there more than two journals?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Doesn't matter much for OCI purposes. At UVA where there are ten million journals, not having a journal makes one stand out, but whether or not this actually hurts one's chances is debatable. Employers already have grades to look at; I can't imagine they care too much if one student has Virginia Journal of Insurance in North America on their resume and another doesn't. And if Michigan has fewer journals than UVA (such that a significant number are not on a journal), then it will matter even less.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Are there more than two journals?


I think Michigan has something like a 4:1 student:secondary-journal ratio, although the mainstream thought at the school is that the only ones that might help for OCI, etc. are MJLR and MJIL (MJLR more so than MJIL).

MarkL234
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby MarkL234 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 pm

How did you find out you were rejected? Did they send an email?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 pm

MarkL234 wrote:How did you find out you were rejected? Did they send an email?


I think they sent a snail-mail letter to the people who were accepted. Not entirely sure, but I'm guessing that OP assumed that no letter = ding.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are there more than two journals?


I think Michigan has something like a 4:1 student:secondary-journal ratio, although the mainstream thought at the school is that the only ones that might help for OCI, etc. are MJLR and MJIL (MJLR more so than MJIL).


I'm so jealous. That plus pass/fail LRW is total win.

NU has so many everyone gets one, so you are expected to have it.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:44 pm

To answer the OP's question, I don't think not being on a journal would hurt, per se. They probably just assume that you missed the MLR+MJLR boat and I don't think anybody's going to blame you for not joining the Race & Law, Gender & Law, Environmental Law, etc. journal just to do something. That being said, I would look for other things to do. The only tangible boost you're going to get at OCI for a "lower" secondary journal is showing that you can juggle a full schedule, so make sure that you have other things on your plate if you choose to go no-journal. I should also add that this is what I have gathered from 3Ls, not from personal experience.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby goodolgil » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Do you know when they started sending out letters? When I moved out of the dorms I stupidly gave them my mom's house as a forwarding address (couldn't rememebr my actual summer address) so I dunno what type of summer mail I've been receiving.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 pm

goodolgil wrote:Do you know when they started sending out letters? When I moved out of the dorms I stupidly gave them my mom's house as a forwarding address (couldn't rememebr my actual summer address) so I dunno what type of summer mail I've been receiving.


They probably sent them out the 14th or 15th, from what I understand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:00 pm

I was also rejected by MJLR, via snail mail letter received June 17th. Not a surprise, really; I was so fried, I put together an absolutely terrible application.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 pm

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if I get rejected by all the secondaries. When I was working on the LR write-on, I thought I was taking too long and didn't think there was anyway I would be able to get to the secondary apps based on everyone saying how long the cite-checking exercise took. But I ended up finishing the LR note at like 10am the day it was due and decided to give the secondaries a shot--what followed was a blazing through the of the cite-check, personal statements and note proposals. I can't imagine my applications being any good and I know for a fact that I had a few mistakes on the cite-check (something which I doubt other people who spent even a full day on it did; it wasn't too difficult).

User avatar
Bobby Dazzler
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Does being on journal/law review ever make you competitive against someone with slightly higher grades, or does it only give you a boost over those with similar grades but without journal/LR? Specifically in terms of firm hiring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:14 pm

does anyone know when the MTTLR results come out? thanks!

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are there more than two journals?


I think Michigan has something like a 4:1 student:secondary-journal ratio, although the mainstream thought at the school is that the only ones that might help for OCI, etc. are MJLR and MJIL (MJLR more so than MJIL).


I'm so jealous. That plus pass/fail LRW is total win.

NU has so many everyone gets one, so you are expected to have it.


:|

Fuck you.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby booboo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are there more than two journals?


I think Michigan has something like a 4:1 student:secondary-journal ratio, although the mainstream thought at the school is that the only ones that might help for OCI, etc. are MJLR and MJIL (MJLR more so than MJIL).


I'm so jealous. That plus pass/fail LRW is total win.

NU has so many everyone gets one, so you are expected to have it.


:|

Fuck you.


The internet isn't a place for people to get mad.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 pm

booboo wrote:The internet isn't a place for people to get mad.


Resume your participation in the BP, 0L.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are there more than two journals?


I think Michigan has something like a 4:1 student:secondary-journal ratio, although the mainstream thought at the school is that the only ones that might help for OCI, etc. are MJLR and MJIL (MJLR more so than MJIL).


I'm so jealous. That plus pass/fail LRW is total win.

NU has so many everyone gets one, so you are expected to have it.


:|

Fuck you.


Trial Team > TTThird Tier Journal.

And I'm not even sure I'm going to get one. I'm not really literate and I didn't try.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Trial Team > TTThird Tier Journal.

And I'm not even sure I'm going to get one. I'm not really literate and I didn't try.


The JTIP thing was pretty damn funny, man.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Trial Team > TTThird Tier Journal.

And I'm not even sure I'm going to get one. I'm not really literate and I didn't try.


The JTIP thing was pretty damn funny, man.


Worst part is they are my best hope still.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Trial Team > TTThird Tier Journal.

And I'm not even sure I'm going to get one. I'm not really literate and I didn't try.


The JTIP thing was pretty damn funny, man.


Worst part is they are my best hope still.


Yikes. When do you find out?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Trial Team > TTThird Tier Journal.

And I'm not even sure I'm going to get one. I'm not really literate and I didn't try.


The JTIP thing was pretty damn funny, man.


Worst part is they are my best hope still.


Yikes. When do you find out?


A month from now or something.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A month from now or something.


As if you didn't have enough shit to worry about.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:A month from now or something.


As if you didn't have enough shit to worry about.


I really don't give a fuck anymore. After finding out that other top schools don't have TTThird Tier Journals, I bet it's less of a problem than people make it out to be.

Also I've heard literally everyone gets on one.

Worst case I have to do moot court, and I'll claim I am going to do clinics.

Journals are retarded. There is nothing substantive about them, other than the note you write.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: how important is journal participation

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:A month from now or something.


As if you didn't have enough shit to worry about.


I really don't give a fuck anymore. After finding out that other top schools don't have TTThird Tier Journals, I bet it's less of a problem than people make it out to be.

Also I've heard literally everyone gets on one.

Worst case I have to do moot court, and I'll claim I am going to do clinics.

Journals are retarded. There is nothing substantive about them, other than the note you write.


I suspect I'll do moot next year no matter what. Mostly because I'm an attention whore and oral arguments are sweet as hell.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.