When to Seek an Informational Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to Seek an Informational Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Just a few quick questions:

I'm a 0L. I have a few close family friends who are partners at biglaw firms in NYC - which is also where I am from. I'll be at Temple in the fall, and was wondering when I should look to secure informational interviews. I'm fairly certain securing a lunch or two with these guys, for the purposes of an informational interview, will be relatively easy. I'd like to know the ideal time to set it up. For example, should I get the ball rolling early in the semester, toward the end of the semester(well before finals), or in the spring when I already have some grades to talk about? I don't expect to secure a job, but I still want to leverage the most out of these opportunities.

On another note(and I know this has been touched on before), how should I dress? Personally, I think going in a suit is the safest bet. It may be overkill, but looking the part may strike a chord with them.

Thanks for the help.

kurla88

Re: When to Seek an Informational Interview

Postby kurla88 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just a few quick questions:

I'm a 0L. I have a few close family friends who are partners at biglaw firms in NYC - which is also where I am from. I'll be at Temple in the fall, and was wondering when I should look to secure informational interviews. I'm fairly certain securing a lunch or two with these guys, for the purposes of an informational interview, will be relatively easy. I'd like to know the ideal time to set it up. For example, should I get the ball rolling early in the semester, toward the end of the semester(well before finals), or in the spring when I already have some grades to talk about? I don't expect to secure a job, but I still want to leverage the most out of these opportunities.

On another note(and I know this has been touched on before), how should I dress? Personally, I think going in a suit is the safest bet. It may be overkill, but looking the part may strike a chord with them.

Thanks for the help.

I'd say later this summer. That way you can claim you are looking for advice on doing well in law school/figuring out what practice areas you're interested in etc. And maybe just say something when you call/email like "oh does the restaurant have a dress code?" and they'll probably let on if they expect you to dress up.

Probably business casual rather than a suit is better for an informational lunch though. They know you're trying to "network" but no need to be in their face about it by wearing something they know you don't wear normally.

Return to “Legal Employment”