Getting an SA position in litigation v. corporate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting an SA position in litigation v. corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Aiming for V100..

Is it more difficult to get a position if you say that you are interested in either litigation, or corporate transactional work? Are there more of one position than the other?

Re: Getting an SA position in litigation v. corporate

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Each firm has different sized departments, so it's not a general question. But according to many right now transactional is pretty strong overall ITE, and lit isn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:14 pm

I have on pretty good information that at least one firm has a lower GPA cut-off for Corp than Lit since fewer people express interest in Corp at OCI. NYC V50.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:45 pm

My NY V20 has roughly 80% corporate SAs in a firm that is evenly split between lit and corporate in terms of revenue. I know the situation is similar at DPW and Cravath.

Who knows whether this pattern holds for this year, but last year it was definitely the case that in New York things were slightly easier if you were interested in corporate.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:30 pm

It all depends on who's busy at any given firm.

My firm is pretty diverse as far as practice groups. Last year they were so busy with bankruptcies other departments were getting pulled in; now there's no work at all in restructuring, and the litigators have some all-hands-on deck massive cases that are pulling in slow junior associates from other groups. But by next year some of those may have settled, and it might be all M&A work all the time.
Last edited by Renzo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 am

It depends primarily on the firm. I'd express an interest in exploring both litigation and corporate work if the firm has various practice areas.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am

Desert Fox wrote:Each firm has different sized departments, so it's not a general question. But according to many right now transactional is pretty strong overall ITE, and lit isn't.

While I can't speak for the market in general, but lit seems much more busy at my firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”