How tough is Cali with top grades from HLS but no ties?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How tough is Cali with top grades from HLS but no ties?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Rule11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. While I am happy to hear words of support about my Cali prospects, I'd appreciate if anyone could offer some advice on how to approach interviews (especially for NorCal) given that I'm from the East, will be bidding in NYC, and am interested in corporate work (which, as another poster said, all scream NYC).

Also, any pitfalls I should avoid or hurdles to overcome? Yes, I know corporate work in Cali is not as good as in NYC, but I'd like to live there long term and feel a lateral move may not work out thus risking the possibility of being stranded in NYC (where I'd like to be for only 2 years or so). However, any thoughts on my risk assessment would be appreciated. Do latin honors factor into successfully lateraling?

Just lie, friend. Your girlfriend/boyfriend is from California and you want to start a family there.

But anyway this is just a non-issue. If you somehow miss the CA boat at OCI (e.g., you shart during all of your interviews), take your 10 Hs (which are likely to continue to multiply) and get a 9th circuit clerkship. Yeah, it will be non-corp work for one year, but then you'll have all the ties you need.

Do you know how difficult it is to lateral within the Cali market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. While I am happy to hear words of support about my Cali prospects, I'd appreciate if anyone could offer some advice on how to approach interviews (especially for NorCal) given that I'm from the East, will be bidding in NYC, and am interested in corporate work (which, as another poster said, all scream NYC).

Also, any pitfalls I should avoid or hurdles to overcome? Yes, I know corporate work in Cali is not as good as in NYC, but I'd like to live there long term and feel a lateral move may not work out thus risking the possibility of being stranded in NYC (where I'd like to be for only 2 years or so). However, any thoughts on my risk assessment would be appreciated. Do latin honors factor into successfully lateraling?

Two questions OP: is your 1L internship in Cali? And have you talked to OCS about this? Because I really think they're a better resource than TLS.

I'm in kind of a similar situation, except I want PI in NorCal (and my grades aren't as good). I've talked to a couple OPIA people about it. Basically, to the extent their advice is transferrable to your situation, there are no easy answers, but it's really key to come across as sincere about wanting to move out west. So I wouldn't make up a fake boyfriend or girlfriend unless you're a really good liar. Knowledge about the area is good. And just generally coming across as mature and knowing what you want out of life is good. The danger is they'll see you as a flight risk.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd appreciate if anyone could offer some advice on how to approach interviews (especially for NorCal) given that I'm from the East

You've at least visited the Bay Area right? As long as you can talk intelligently from personal experience about the area and the qualities that make you want to live there you should be okay. If you've never been there and you just tell them that you want to live in Cali because it's so laid back and sunny nobody will take you seriously.

Also if you can come up with some reason why you prefer that firm/office to the NY alternative that should help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Two questions OP: is your 1L internship in Cali? And have you talked to OCS about this? Because I really think they're a better resource than TLS.

I'm in kind of a similar situation, except I want PI in NorCal (and my grades aren't as good). I've talked to a couple OPIA people about it. Basically, to the extent their advice is transferrable to your situation, there are no easy answers, but it's really key to come across as sincere about wanting to move out west. So I wouldn't make up a fake boyfriend or girlfriend unless you're a really good liar. Knowledge about the area is good. And just generally coming across as mature and knowing what you want out of life is good. The danger is they'll see you as a flight risk.

Internship is in DC. Haven't talked to OCS since they're generally unhelpful in my experience. Maybe I'll send them an email.

Return to “Legal Employment”